1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Favorite “cheap knife”?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by torqueguy, Jul 29, 2019.

1. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    At the moment, it is the $26 (MAP) 3.75" Spyderco Byrd Cara Cara 2 that I'm carrying.

[​IMG]

2. mwhich50

mwhich50 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 18, 2011
    I love the Utilitac, and the Tremor too. I have both of these. I have left my Tremor in it's box because it's DCd, but I do pull it out a couple times of year to fondle. You should snag a Kershaw Speed Bump from Knifecenter before they are gone.

3. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Speed bump from knifecenter does look like a fantastic value. Just a bit too funky for my taste. I've passed on many a ken onion knife just based on the clip alone.

Cosmodragoon likes this.
  4. icewaterstone

icewaterstone

Apr 15, 2012
    Victorinox Sheep Skinner. I buy them as gifts now. Grew up like many skinning game with my dad's Buck 110 folder or the odd fixed blade. Eventually got into customs, bought some really nice skinners as well as some production "hunting" knives but they were all heavy, slippery, and too thick. A few years back I bought one of these Sheep Skinners on a whim and it was like night and day. Lightweight, easy to hold, easy to sharpen, no hand cramping, easy to clean. I've even made a little sheath for packing it around.

Eli Chaps and Pomsbz like this.
  5. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015

That looks a lot like my Dexter-Russll sheep skinner.

83AF2650-6A1C-4003-A1C3-24754813480F.jpeg

jmh33 likes this.
  6. rctic

rctic

Nov 22, 2015
    Opinel

jmh33 likes this.
  7. 416isToronto

416isToronto Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2013
    Folders: SAKs, Opinel, Dozier Hunter folder.
    Fixed: Mora

8. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    [​IMG]

2nd hand SAK Spartan bought for $9. Modded to remove the opener layer and create a simple 2 blade pocket knife. Carried since the beginning of the year. Does everything I need and nothing I don't. Excellent quality, action and snap. Personally, I can't believe I achieved so much for so little.

mbkr likes this.
  9. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    and of course, the incredible Opinel.

[​IMG]

10. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    I hadn't known about that model, thanks. Victorinox really do make great handles on their fixed blades and kitchen knives. Hand filling and grippy with great ergonomics. How does the edge hold up with using in the field?

11. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Kabar Dozier kickback hands down

12. Monofletch

Monofletch Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2010
    The Civivi Praxis in Damascus is one of the best $70 knives I have ever owned.

082B6302-6EA4-47C2-954F-B7707A74D04B.jpeg

13. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Buck MiniBuck (425). Served me quite faithfully for many, many years in some not so pleasant places. Tie about 18" of gutted 550 cord to it with a loop on one end, then thread through your belt loop, roll up excess cordage, and drop into BDU pocket. Enough length to do most small tasks but easy enough to free up for more flexibility. Several times I found it swinging beside my leg but never lost it! I would just roll the cord up for my jeans and what not.

[​IMG]

Getting older likes this.
  14. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    I like my relatively inexpensive EDC, the Spyderco Gayle Bradley. For me any knife under $150 is inexpensive, especially if the fit and finish are good and the materials are suitable for a good EDC.

15. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    My thoughts exactly!!! :thumbsup::D:thumbsup:
    John

416isToronto likes this.
  16. icewaterstone

icewaterstone

Apr 15, 2012
    No problem getting through a whitetail without resharpening. I've used it to entirely process a deer in the field, but having a boning knife and sharpener in addition is helpful when processing at a shed.

17. icewaterstone

icewaterstone

Apr 15, 2012

18. Old John

Old John Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Bought this back in '79 at a surplus store. Maybe paid $10. It's a Camillus 1979. Needs frequent sharpening and worth the effort. It's been in my pocket 40 years and is the hardest working knife in my collection. Grandson will have to wait for this one.

Getting older and MolokaiRider like this.
  19. Mossyhorn

Mossyhorn Enlightened Rogue Platinum Member

Dec 6, 2009
    [​IMG]

20. mbkr

mbkr

May 20, 2018
    I'm a real fan of Buck Slim Selects.
    [​IMG]
    SAKs are hard to beat for value priced traditionals. I do like the Leatherman Juice B2 a lot. Its been discontinued, but is still available.
    [​IMG]

jacksterp likes this.