1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Favorite “cheap knife”?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by torqueguy, Jul 29, 2019.

1. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    Kershaw, byrd, cold steel, buck, Victorinox, Mora, all make really good knives that cannot be called Cheap rather inexpensive. And I have had times like when I was in college and graduate school when I could not afford a very expensive knife and sometimes didnt have enough for a cup of coffee. And knives from these companies served me very well.

I did a thread a few years ago about good knives under $45. I talked about knives even $10 and less. As I recall there were a lot of other suggestions besides the ones that I made.

BenchCo Spydermade likes this.
  2. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    I forgot to mention my Mora 510. I liked them a bit better when they came with red handles and were a hair thicker, but at $10 they are the best value sheath knife out there, I think. Mine just won't die!

[​IMG]

Zieg

JackTheKnifeGuy and Henry Beige like this.
  3. l1ranger

l1ranger Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 27, 2017
    i really want to like this thing, but 5cr?! might have to make one

Cosmodragoon and GB940Rookie like this.
  4. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary Gold Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Despite its shaky IP inspiration, I do like the SanRenMu Land 910 Plus. It’s inexpensive and generally well-made, and someone could roll over it with a forklift and I wouldn’t be upset.

5. cheeseit123

cheeseit123

Feb 12, 2019
    I really like my ESEE Zancudo. I took it camping last week and was really impressed with how well the D2 held the edge and how slicey it was.

Only cost about 30$

6. Dr Heelhook

Dr Heelhook Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Mora and Victorinox.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  7. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2016
    Agreed. The design is superb. Tried using it as a work knife. Dulled a little too quick and too small for me and work, but I still love it.

8. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    I've gotten a few of these as gifts. The Ozark Trail knives are generally less than ten bucks and can be found in multi-packs or surprisingly attractive gift sets for cheap. I've actually been surprised by the action and overall feel of a few of these. (Now, I don't mean "surprised" as in they're awesome but definitely surprised for a $5 knife.) They don't specify the steel but a few have been independently tested and came up as 3Cr13Mov. That sounds right based on my use. Essentially, it isn't hard to get them sharp but they get dull pretty easily.

JJHollowman likes this.
  9. tony281sc2

tony281sc2

Feb 13, 2017
    I totally forgot about the injection. I have one that I beat to death, but nothing the worksharp can’t fix....and some pliers to bend the clip back. Outstanding knife for the money! Perfect size for edc and very comfortable handle/shape.

Cscotttsss likes this.
  10. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    I think the leek is a better value - yes, it's a bit more $, but the 14c28n blade is just worth it, and it's still under $40

For fixed blades, mora is at the top of my value list... I only wish they offered some full flat grind options, doing it yourself is a lot of work

Cscotttsss likes this.
  11. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    One knife that I really like a lot is the outdoor edge wedge. This little neck Knife or gear knife is really quite good and only $16. I think this deal is probably 440a.

Generally I hate neck knives but this one is really OK. I think it is won knife of the year or something like that a few years ago.

Cosmodragoon likes this.
  12. BuckShack

BuckShack Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Buck Bantam series. Three sizes. I've carried the small 284 to work and the big 286 everywhere else for years. Good inexpensive knives made in the USA.

Here are the 285 and 286

[​IMG]

mbkr, Dadpool, JD Bear and 2 others like this.
  13. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    I have to go with Victorinox.

No matter where I am, off on vacation someplace, anywhere theres a big box store I can find the basic models of the SAK. A classic, a recruit, both very good pocket knives for the moment. The Academy sports down the road has the Victorinox recruit for 17 bucks. For that low price you gt two knife blades, Phillips and flat screw driving capability, can and bottle opening, and the tweezers for those splinters. 17.00 bucks!

Heck you can't even take your wife out for a cheap lunch at a chain restaurant for that! The classic is at Walmart for like 11.00 dollars. I've went on vacation to Key West and spent 5 days there fishing, drinking, partying, kayaking the mangroves, and the classic did everything I needed from a pocket knife. It cut fishing line, cut bait, sliced key limes for cold vodka tonics, opened a few cold Coronas with the SD tip of the nail file. Flying out I gave it to the driver of the airport shuttle van.

Victorinx. Low cost, lots of utility, and you can give it away when your done. For the price a burger and fries at Bennigan's.

mbkr, Pomsbz, jux t and 2 others like this.
  14. mwhich50

mwhich50 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 18, 2011
    So true, and it comes in blue:thumbsup:!
    [​IMG]

TheEdge01 likes this.
  15. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    Outdoor Edge also makes "Le Duck". I thought it was silly when I first saw it. Then I got one as a gift so I figured I would try it out. I ended up loving it! Le Duck has a lot going for it and it's under $25. Sure, it's only 8Cr13Mov but honestly, that's better than some similarly priced small fixed blades such as the Minimalist series from CRKT.

16. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    I have never come across the larger Bantams in any of the big box stores I frequent, but there seem to be a lot of flavors of the 284: camo, clip, etc. It is my idea of the right size for pocket carry. The plain black version is right for me, although I would get one in orange if I ever ran across one.

There are not too many BF members I have met in person. The ones I do know will carry the 284 even though their tastes are much more sophisticated.

17. vwb563

vwb563

Jun 29, 2007
    Most days I’m either carrying my Real Steel Sea Eagle or a Kershaw Leek. If I know that I’m going to tackle a job that’s gonna to be extremely abusive to my cutting edge I usually carry my Kershaw Cryo.

18. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Ontario utilitac II. AUS8 from a reputable company at $25. Lots of different flavors. I even bought one for a buddy that I found for $17.

[​IMG]
    Kershaw injection I bought years ago after it was discontinued for $25. Kershaw. G10. 8cr. And it is a big knife!

[​IMG]
    Kershaw injection. Not as big as above but has the same attributes. $15 shipped (what for those free shipping weekends from knife center).

The ultimate value though has to be in buying used SAKs. I can't get enough of them.
    [​IMG]

19. stiletto100

stiletto100

Feb 26, 2014
    Opinel , great cheap knives.

20. BTGuy

BTGuy Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Either the Kershaw Atmos or Ka-Bar Dozier suit my needs when I want to carry something decently usable and easily replaceable.