Favorite cheap but beloved gear?

I, like most of us here, can certainly appreciate high end gear. Be it a 5 thousand dollar 1911, a custom blade by a renowned smith, a Ducatti, or whatever tickles your fancy. 99% of the time you truly get what you pay for. But what about that rare other 1%? I have a few items which hold value far greater than their price tag in my eyes, and I find beauty in that. I figured I would see if anyone else here gets what I'm saying and would like to share some of their favorites. One of mine is a firearm, my Romanian M69 trainer, .22 Lr. I bought it for I believe 120 or so while in high school and it has been a friend to me sense. It has killed everything from squirrels to hogs and gators, and its rugged simplicity means I don't have to baby it.

Anyhow, here she is, now let's see your favorite Cheapo gear!

Trustfire Z2. It will run on a single AA, but reserve that for if you are desperate. It works beautifully with a single 14500 stuck up it. AA limits the potential in several ways. Pocket shrapnel kinda money on Amazon.

3SY0vEH.jpg

Bundeswehr mountain rucksack. Had it for must be ten years now. Not bad for 1€/year! Indestructible and always looks good, urban and rural.

I've picked up several great vintage hatchets for less than $10, and they're very high quality. This little Craftsman pocket axe has become beloved because I'm making memories with my daughter, using it to show her outdoor stuff. It was only $2 (but I had to carve a new haft for it).
pocket%20axe_zps73sc3lek.jpg

Marlin M65/Ranger34. Squirrel head accurate.
P1000295.JPG

Map case from my Army Rifle Platoon days. The Platoon Sergeant, SFC Jenkins, handed it to me the day I arrived 31 years ago this month.
Map%2520Case.JPG

Fire cured bamboo hiking stick my son made me.
Bamboo%2520-%2520Zach.JPG

Melamine DFAC coffee cup. Use it daily at the office.
Halsey%2520Cup.jpg

Hammer forged nail I use as a pipe tamper.
Nail%2520Pipe%2520Tool.JPG

My grandmothers cast iron skillet.
Corn%2520bread.JPG

My old P38 on my keychain. Used it two nights ago when making supper.
P38.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice Leghog, and digging that cornbread !................ Medium ALICE pack here that I left buried in a closet for years. Starting to feel the love again and will likely grab a frame for it.

The good 'ol USGI canteen/cup/pouch. Don't know why but I have a soft spot for them. They still work great and I still incorporate them in to some of my systems.

bagstuff2_zpsde6d968f.jpg

I've been real surprised at my rossi .357 I think it was 200 bucks . Money and performance wise it's not better than my 686 but value wise it's a nice pistol.

Rock Island 1911. It was cheap but introduced me to 1911s , I love my high end ones don't get me wrong but I've sent more than 2 back to Yonkers ,Rock Island has never gave me any issues ,except it hates hollow points but it's a fun range gun.

Kel tec little .380 that looks just like a ruger lcr. Had the keltec for years and probably my favorite carry in light clothes again never an issue.

Knives , cold steel and the Chinese buck trapper and stockman those Chinese bucks put some American slip joints to shame .

Watch Casio gshock rather you buy a low end gshock or one that's a few hundred bucks they work . I've got about 5 gshocks that have been beat like you wouldn't believe a watch should or could get beat and again perfection.

Wallet I don't know if it's considered cheap or what but value wise it worth mentioning. Caught a maxpedition wallet on sale/clearance for like 40% some years back . Best wallet I've ever had .

My little echo weedeater. That weedeater home Depot puts up for sale for 99 dollars every spring , yes that one . Mines on its 6th? Season . I've burnt through some weedeaters on our property some expensive (overated junk ) got the echo with the thought 2 seasons for 100 bucks I'll be happy considering my track record with them .

My favorite is an old TAD Gear merino wool neck gaiter, It's seven or so yeas old, woven wool, they don't make the like anymore. I have used it all winter, every winter since I bought it. I think it was twenty or thirty dollars.

Bic Lighters, they cost hardly a thing and make fire starting really easy. Treat it with a semblance of care and it will last and work for a very long time. Yeah, I carry a fire-steel, but a flick-o-the-bic is a wonderful thing.

ITW Tac-Toggles, a few bucks and a few minutes they make zipper pulls much easier to find and grab. Not necessary, definitely a luxury, but an inexpensive luxury and one I greatly enjoy.

Any decent cheap headlamp. I've used Ozark Trail, Princeton Tec, Petzl and Zebra. Some lost some broke, some still with me, headlamps rock.

Kifaru Pullouts, simple, light, durable storage/pack organization.

Emberlit, mine's a heavy, old Gen1 can't remember what I paid for it, but it was a pittance, the sucker just works. I had a laugh looking recently seeing how far and wide these things have gone since Mikhail's humble beginnings. But his growth and notoriety are well deserved. His design is excellent. If you can make use of a twig stove, his is the way to go.

I'm sure there are others, but those stand out.

Good thread, I will go with my $140 Mossberg 500

And my free with coupon HF tarp.

LegHog.... that is all SOLID! What pipes you have? What tobacco you like?

LegHog.... that is all SOLID! What pipes you have? What tobacco you like?
I prefer cobs for pipes. Missouri Meerschaum Legend cobs specifically.

I'm now down to three briar pipe only, having given the rest away. A Rand Wiley, an Erik Nording, and a Savinelli.

I prefer English mixtures with latakia tobaks. Esoterica Penzance and Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader. I also like McClelland's resurrection of Ashton's Old Dog and their old standby Frog Morton Across the Pond.

cob.JPG

Wiley%2520Galleon%2520SL.JPG

Essentials%2520-%2520Pipe%2C%2520knife%2C%2520watch%2C%2520bandana.jpg

Sav%2520Basket%2520Old%2520Dog.JPG

My watch cap. I have no clue what I paid for it over 30 years ago but it is still with me today.
It's been everywhere I've been.

I've got an Eric Schooly "S" blade that is a dream to paddle with. Oddly enough, I've got no photos of it.
Mr. Schooly has passed I believe.

My old Army issue Gore-tex jacket. When I was getting out I claimed I lost it and paid a bit under $100 for it. It's a bit heavy compared to other name brand water proof jackets, but it's a hell of a lot more rugged. Still going strong after 20 years or so.

Hard to whittle it down to just one.... but, my GSI "Fairshare" mug has been a great piece of kit.

nTBXrEnTA.jpeg

Mine is like the one in the upper left corner. I got for a Valentines gift from my wife circa 2001. It holds a nice sized amount of food - just add boiling water! I especially like the screw-on lid - i've knocked it over on occasion with my dinner in it and no problem!

Last edited:
I've picked up several great vintage hatchets for less than $10, and they're very high quality. This little Craftsman pocket axe has become beloved because I'm making memories with my daughter, using it to show her outdoor stuff. It was only $2 (but I had to carve a new haft for it).
pocket%20axe_zps73sc3lek.jpg

That looks almost exactly like the Husqvarna hatchet that you can pick up at a dealership.

I picked up this Belgian guild 12 bore years back for a song. Has chokes opened up and it has became my favorite bird gun over the years. Its plain and solid and feels great, but I always think it's strange I like it better than doubled costing a lot more in my collection. Birds just seem to give up when I have her.lol

Back