Favorite cheap but beloved gear?

My old Army issue Gore-tex jacket. When I was getting out I claimed I lost it and paid a bit under $100 for it. It's a bit heavy compared to other name brand water proof jackets, but it's a hell of a lot more rugged. Still going strong after 20 years or so.

I bought one of these a couple years back (ACU GEN III Parka) and couldn't be happier with it. These Parkas are surprisingly light and packable but clearly made for years of waterproof service. They make excellent cold weather outer shells. They are not terribly quite but neither is a thunderstorm. I hunted a local island for a week last year and lived in that parka for the last few days as some cold and rainy weather came in. It's really nice having a real waterproof jacket on when you're sitting on the end of a pier waiting for a boat to come in when the rain is turning to snow!

My old Army issue Gore-tex jacket. When I was getting out I claimed I lost it and paid a bit under $100 for it. It's a bit heavy compared to other name brand water proof jackets, but it's a hell of a lot more rugged. Still going strong after 20 years or so.
I've still got on in the back of a closet I didn't even wear before I retired from the Army. Forgot what I paid for it. Still new. Ought to sell it.

I agree! Love canteen cups. Ive lived out of them many times.

The good 'ol USGI canteen/cup/pouch. Don't know why but I have a soft spot for them. They still work great and I still incorporate them in to some of my systems.

bagstuff2_zpsde6d968f.jpg

Hard to whittle it down to just one.... but, my GSI "Fairshare" mug has been a great piece of kit.

nTBXrEnTA.jpeg

Mine is like the one in the upper left corner. I got for a Valentines gift from my wife circa 2001. It holds a nice sized amount of food - just add boiling water! I especially like the screw-on lid - i've knocked it over on occasion with my dinner in it and no problem!

I made a snug little wraparound/tea-cosy thing for mine during a leisurely couple of hours in front of the tube. Just a double wrap (using several carefully cut slightly tapered sections) of that thin flexible white foam used for packing stuff ... carefully-cut to match the cup's slight taper ... bottomless ... held together at the joints by duct tape ... with a complete outer armour of beaucoup duct tape that reaches into the interior wall about a half-inch at the top and bottom edges. With a perfect little notch for the handle. Nice snug fit.

Still going strong after more than a decade ... great for winter camping.

I think my favorite cheap gear is the large enamel coated coffee pot my wife found at the thrift store. It was missing the coffe making guts but we use it as a water heater at camp on the stove or right in the coals. Replacement cost would not be cheap but the $5 we paid for it was a real bargain!!!

Gelert solo tent. Bought it for 25 quid 7 years ago and it's done 30odd outings since then with not a scratch on it. And most of those involved motocycles and heavy drinking so it's had a hard life. Packs down to the size of two beer cans and weighs nothing.

I made a snug little wraparound/tea-cosy thing for mine during a leisurely couple of hours in front of the tube. Just a double wrap (using several carefully cut slightly tapered sections) of that thin flexible white foam used for packing stuff ... carefully-cut to match the cup's slight taper ... bottomless ... held together at the joints by duct tape ... with a complete outer armour of beaucoup duct tape that reaches into the interior wall about a half-inch at the top and bottom edges. With a perfect little notch for the handle. Nice snug fit.

Still going strong after more than a decade ... great for winter camping.

What a great idea!!!!

I'm wondering if some of that "Reflectix" would work well in that application? I've considered buying some as part of an under-quilt for hammock camping and a "cozy" for the Fair Share Mug wouldn't take much. Hmmmmm....

I think my favorite cheap gear is the large enamel coated coffee pot my wife found at the thrift store. It was missing the coffe making guts but we use it as a water heater at camp on the stove or right in the coals. Replacement cost would not be cheap but the $5 we paid for it was a real bargain!!!

I like this type of practicality.:thumbup:

• toilet paper
  • bandana
  • zip ties
  • tarred bankline
  • trash bags and ziplocks
  • knowledge (though sometimes this doesn't come so cheaply)
  • family tools/guns/knives that are handed down with a story
  • yard sale, vintage, US made axes that are restored to shaving sharp
  • man I could go on forever

My cheapest and most beloved gear. I got this knife from a friend (Brusletto storhallingen, discontinued) 20 years ago. He found it in the Woods, point broken, no sheath and a little pitted.
I ground a New point on it, removed the gunk on the aluminium parts, oiled the leather handle and made a New sheath for it. One of my most used knives.

bdb2dc458a-storhalling.jpg-for-web-normal.jpg

My old Ruger standard model. The first gun I bought, was 39.95, and for near 45 years has been a travel companion, plinker, and game getter. My kids learned to shoot on it, and three out of four of my grandkids learned to shoot on it. At about the 40 year mark, it started to have light primer strikes and fail to fire issues. Sent it back to Ruger, and they fixed it at no charge. They overhauled the thing and told me that they were happy to restore an old family member.
16557622660_16caa4ba84_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

My old Wenger SI is a go-to favorite. I love the alox SAK's, and the Wenger in particular. Maybe it's the bail and the layout reminds me of my old Boy scout days. The scout knife pattern seems to be my personal favorite in pocket knives right next to the peanut.
15243047207_6ee4415acc_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:
I guess I could say my old Fenix E01 is a much beloved piece of gear. For several years now, it's banged around on my keyring in just about every condition and far off places. There's brighter lights on the market, and fancier lights, but none as low cost, reliable and versatile. I don't need umpteen zillion lumens that will sear the retinas out of a coons eyes up a tall tree or light up a fleeing felon a hundred yards away. All I want is a compact little light that I can see a trail in the woods at night for 20 yards, or finding my way around a strange hotel room while trying not to wake my better half, or looking for a dropped item under a car seat at night. Or even finding something in our tent at night.

The little E01 gives me "enough" light for what I'm doing, great run time off a single AAA battery, small and light enough for my keyring, and like the old Timex, it takes a lickin' and keeps on ticking. Great light, great price, great quality. What more can I ask. I very briefly had a E05, but the added lumens were not worth the lousy run time. I've tried 'other' lights, but they just didn't give me the balance of overall across the board performance of the E01. The little Fenix is like a old school snubbie .38 J frame. Outdated, but it still gets the job done. I love my E01.

15291393618_5c8eef339f_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

My Ruger 10/22 I bought in 1982 for $110. When I bought it as a kid I did not know it was the most popular 22 of all time. Bought it because it looked cool and was in my budget. Great gun.

I love my E01.

I have E05 SS AAA (stainless) in my keyring and I love it! One of the reasons I wanted it was that it's stainless and not black. :D
It has held up really nicely so far. Before I've had Maglite (when it was cool) and Ledlenser in my keys but they have always broken within year of use.

Honestly my Bear Grylls Ultimate Pro. Stacks of people seem to hate it but it has been a solid performer for me. Had it since they first came out with the upgraded steel and it hasn't missed a beat. I know it's pretty tacticool but it was the knife I taught myself to sharpen on and after thinning the edge a little a year ago it has just gotten better. I couldn't imagine not having it in my collection now.

Back