Favorite Coffee Mug and Traditional Knife

Giving blood is part of the military. If you gave blood at all four blood drives during the year they gave you a special cup, different color each year. Have a few of those but this cup is one of my two favorites, 5 gallons, 40 pints, 10 years of giving if you hit every blood drive. Would give my troops a day off for giving blood, we won a lot of base blood drives. Highly recommend Peet's coffee. Grind the beans and French press to extract the most goodness, but Kcups are sure handy first thing in the AM. Newman's Own is superb with all profits going to charity. Smooth bone ancient is another favorite.

ancientsmoothboneTCfivegalloncup.jpg

I have many coffee mugs that are witty or just well made but this is neither and it is my favorite. This mug has been with me on every backpacking or backcountry adventure for more than 20 years...I expect it will stay with me for 20 more :) It is the John Muir in me except this is a way better mug than the one he used :thumbsup:
Coffee_knives.jpg

And it's Earl Grey, Picard's favorite.
If Picard likes Earl Grey, then I do.... ;) I like your mug too by the way. I use a really big mug (what I call a duelly) for my Earl Gray. Look into the black tea that Sam's Club sells. It's excellent and individually packaged.

I saw this thread and didn't have any pictures and considered what interesting coffee mugs I might have. I posted the Blade mug with a couple knives.

Nothing special about this mug, however it is the only one remaining from the very first "plate & mug" set that I ever bought back in 1998 when I started my first job and had my own place to live. Since I was in Lansing, MI it probably came from a Meijer store which was the first store I had ever seen where you could buy a weed-whacker and a porterhouse steak :D The knife in the pic is a Continental Cutlery that is going to be making a trip to the winner of the "Likers" pool in my GAW :):thumbsup: The lighting sucks near my morning La-Z-Boy so I apologize for the shoddy camera-work :thumbsdown:

MUG-2A.JPG

Nothing special about this mug, however it is the only one remaining from the very first "plate & mug" set that I ever bought back in 1998 when I started my first job and had my own place to live. Since I was in Lansing, MI it probably came from a Meijer store which was the first store I had ever seen where you could buy a weed-whacker and a porterhouse steak :D The knife in the pic is a Continental Cutlery that is going to be making a trip to the winner of the "Likers" pool in my GAW :):thumbsup: The lighting sucks near my morning La-Z-Boy so I apologize for the shoddy camera-work :thumbsdown:

View attachment 978220
Got mugs, beer glasses, and shot glasses with the same "G" as on your glass in the background.

Sentimental mug this morning... this one was my Grandpa's who passed away far too long ago; he loved the Cubs :D

View attachment 976955
The Cubs mug is itself pretty cool, but it's priceless being an heirloom from your grandfather! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

View attachment 978220
Meijer is a great chain, and about the only store I go to anymore. :thumbsup::cool:;)
It's almost just about the only store you need sometimes. :D:D

- GT

I still call them Meijers because they used to be "Meijer's Thrifty Acres", around here at least. I may occasionally still call them "Thrifties".

Isn’t it funny how some favorites are instant and others sneak up on you over months or years? Many of my favorites fall into the latter group, but this mug that I purchased at an art fair on Labor Day has become an instant one. I haven’t used another since. The maker had several similar mugs, but this is the one that fit perfectly in my hands.

MK5mxr6h.jpg

I take my coffee black, but sometimes treat myself to a dollop of whipped cream when we have some on hand.

Isn’t it funny how some favorites are instant and others sneak up on you over months or years? Many of my favorites fall into the latter group, but this mug that I purchased at an art fair on Labor Day has become an instant one. I haven’t used another since. The maker had several similar mugs, but this is the one that fit perfectly in my hands.

MK5mxr6h.jpg

I take my coffee black, but sometimes treat myself to a dollop of whipped cream when we have some on hand.
Greg, I like that cup as well, if I saw one like it I would surely get me one. :thumbsup::D oh, and the Lambsfoot is standing guard. :p

Last edited:
Back