Favorite Fixed Blade for Skinning?

Check out the Queen Cutlery #98 Skinner, D2, Quality sheath, comes laser sharp, can be had under 50$, and is the perfect length and blade shape... For me at least :rolleyes:

I have been using two beautiful little 154CM blades by Tim Olt. They do a fine job
Oltsatwork.jpg

Bill Moran Upswept. It's scalpel sharp, has a choke-up choil, and a big belly. Works for me anyhow.

FB01_L.jpg

I recently skinned some feral hogs with an early 70's era Sharpfinger that my father gave me when I was a kid. I never really cared for the looks of it and remember wishing that I had a cooler looking knife like some of my hunting buddies but as I used other knives over the years I grew to appreciate its design. It's not my favorite skinner, but I will never part with it.

My current favorite skinners are a Bark River Mini Skinner and a Condor (Seki Japan) 80-Z skinner.

Knives017.jpg

I have a sharp finger I bought years ago. I used it one time to field dress a deer and didn't care for it. I cleaned it up and put it in a drawer, where it has been ever since. I used Uncle Henry's at one time and have a few I like, but have retired them too. I've tried a ton of blades over the years and I am currently using a Becker BK17. Once the deer is hanging and we start turning it in to steaks the $10 Rapala 4" blades come out. Darn little blades just work too good not to use them and they stay sharp through the entire process. I may see how the BK17 holds up this year though.

i have three favorite knives i use.two C3 custom skinners,an a barkriver canadian sportsman
IMAG0213-1.jpg

028-1.jpg

James Terrio sent me this one of his that he calls The Sidekick. I have been using it for a few days now doing basic cutting chores and a little mindless whittling.
The handle fits me so well I never tire when cutting with it. It's a nice thin blade of O-1 and the heat treat must be pretty darned good since I've been hacking quite a bit of really hard driftwood with it and the edge is still shaving sharp.
I would highly recommend this for a hunting/skinning knife. The belly and slight drop point would be perfect and the thin steel is a dream to work with. It seems to be weightless.
attachment.php

terrio sidekick II.jpg

I'm really enjoying a couple of BRKT blades right now. The Gunny in A2 and the Bravo Necker II in 3V.

I have a lot of knives but I always find myself grabbing my Jeff White Nessmuk when it's time to skin Deer. Great knife for the money I actually own 2 of them.

Check out the Queen Cutlery #98 Skinner, D2, Quality sheath, comes laser sharp, can be had under 50$, and is the perfect length and blade shape... For me at least :rolleyes:

This one is an old Clauss, from before WW II. It was one of my Dad's knives. Don't know the steel, but it is, of course, old school Carbon Steel. Design is the same as your Queen.
img0539resized.jpg

I have a lot of knives but I always find myself grabbing my Jeff White Nessmuk when it's time to skin Deer. Great knife for the money I actually own 2 of them.

Do you know where I can buy a leather sheath for this knife? I have one minus a sheath. Thanks.

Back