Favorite hunting knife?

I ordered this particular model with these specific options after buying and selling dozens of Dozier knives trying to find the best combination for me.

From a practical perspective it is a supermodel in my eyes:)

Z[/QUOTE]

I agree completely. I have the same model in Iron Wood. I use it for everything, even fishing.

3"x0.125" A2 and micarta:

IMG_20121117_114552-small.jpg

IMG_20121117_114513-small.jpg

For the last 20+ years, I've used this one for all my big game gutting/skinning: Elk, Deer, Antelope, Caribou and Sheep.

It was one of the earlier ATS34 knives and it fits me.

The leather shoe lace is to make sure it doesn't come out of the sheath in my pack.

0c245917.jpg

I've been looking for this for the past fifteen years or so. Somehow it got stuck in a box of paperwork and stuck in storage. I thought it was gone forever but found it this past weekend. I was going to have one like it custom made if I didn't find it.

Buck Vangaurd has been my go to deer and elk knife for many many years. I own hundreds of knives in all kinds of latterns and steels but my ol Vangaurd just gets it done.

Buck 102 or Case leather handle Little Finn. Another of my favorites is an old stag handled Case hunting knife with a stainless blade and blue scroll looking stuff etched into the blade. Its like a 5 inch blade, which is bigger than i like but it was my grandpaws and then my mothers and then she gave it to me when i started deer hunting. Purely sentimental but I've walked a lot of miles with that crazy thing on my belt.

Dozier's model K-2 in D2. Bead blasted G10 scales and their "indexing dimple" included. No thumb notches.

Great blade to handle ratio and ergonomics overall. For me it has the right balance between not enough reach and too much blade.

My current go to knife for hunting. Not real pretty. Made for work, not photo shoots:

Z

Man those doziers are nice but a little out of my price range BUT......

I picked up a Dozier/Boker collaboration a little while ago that is almost identical to yours Mister Z. Aus-8 with filework and black micarta with a tooled leather sheath for less than 60$.

Damned good knife for the money and good looking too.

A bit large for most needs, but it's an integral blade and very tough.

i-4sxCGXp-XL.jpg

Bump for the fall hunting season. I'm working on making my own now out of Elmax.

Last edited:
hey guys need some help, I'm getting a custom knife made me and I need some pics and Ideas for metal to use, blade for skinning. any idea's

Back