Favorite Kitchen/Utility Knife?

One of my quests has been for an "apron knife" that would live in my apron pocket.

My best approach so far is to take a quality 6-8 inch "chef's knife" and attach a clip and a sheath to it.

I think something better should exist.

Phil

RE the TTKK ("Talmadge Tactical Kitchen Knife") noted by Nakano 2 and Sid Post, see:

www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000844.html

It is a review back in 9/99 by our own Joe Talmadge himself.

For Talonite, I'll endorse Allen Blade's work, too. His MEUK may be the most reasonably priced Talonite fixed, with excellent design and execution, out there.

gmm

Paracelsus,
That's a beauty! Can you get it with a small guard?

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

A knife as you describe would seem to be a knife made for me by Mike Cooper (aka L6Steel). It sees moderate work as a general purpose blade, and also as a kitchen knife. Whenever I go to my dads land it goes with me. My wife uses it alot in the kitchen as a butcher/general purpose kitchen knife. You mention possible self defense, I dont see any reason why this knife would not be very suitable for that. The blade runs 3/16" thick, but with its nice high hollow grind and reletively thin edge and great heat treat, it maybe the most used and versatile knife I have.

Pic of knife here... http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=110070&a=4518795&p=36502344&Sequence=0&res=high

------------------
Richard Todd - Digital knife photography
icq 61363141
My WebSite
Do your site a favor, get quality digital images!!!
New photos added!!!

Wonderful input all! This is all good stuff. I really like Joe and Trace's TTTKK. I had remembered reading something about it awhile back on the forums and went and read the article in Tactical Knives. Really sweet and having used Talonite, it WOULD be something that could find it's way nicely around a kitchen. I also like the thinner grind of Joe's knife. Smoke, I had forgotten that I have an old Spyder Moran somewhere and it even has a nice Concealex slip sheath that ol' "Baldy1" helped me get a long time ago. I think I'll dig it out and give it a try. I like Tichbourne's knives a lot and Paracelsus' Tomes small skinner. I'm a stainless fan, (even though I have carbon steel blades that I like a lot), and would love to try that Tomes' skinner in a good stainless. I think the nod, so far, would go to the TTTKK.

Well, for chopping chicken, I use a Martindale Military Golock.

For prep work, I like a Mora 2000, very nice.

I have been noticing that my Becker Magnum Camp would probably do very well.

------------------
Thank you,
Marion David Poff aka Eye mdpoff@hotmail.com

My website, guided links, talonite/cobalt alloy info, etc....
http://www.geocities.com/mdpoff

>>--->Bill Siegle Custom Knives<---<<
-http://www.geocities.com/siegleknives-

"To wait for luck is the same as waiting for death." -Japanese Proverb

"Place you clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark." -Lazarus Long

Well, I pulled out the old Spyderco Moran, that I haven't used in a couple of years. The first thing I noticed was the upswept blade, (i.e. "skinning"), configuration. I figured it wouldn't be that great for kitchen use and I was right. With it's large belly area, it is just not very conducive for kitchen duty. I like to "point cut" sometimes when preparing meat and the upswept blade alleviates that. Also, the "Moran" edge is not as good a slicer as one would want. It works but a reprofiling of the edge, IMHO, would be in order. I know the Moran has gone through changes since my old model. I'm not really interested in spending the money to find out if it's kitchen use has improved. The search continues.

Its great to hear from you TTKK owners!!
I really appreciate all the feedback I get here at Blade Forums.
The TTKK's(Talmadge Tactical Kitchen Knife) name was actually kind of a joke, but it was what Joe and I were going for.
It evolved over some time, and was meant to be a utility blade that would perform well in the kitchen/camp environment, and could also be a defensive blade. It doesnt scream "FIGHTING KNIFE" but could do well if pressed into that role..
Anyway thanks again, and hope you all have a great New Year!!

Take Care
Trace Rinaldi
http://www.pe.net/~thrblade/

oops
wink.gif

Shawn

bttt - let's get back on track

judy

------------------
totallyjudy

There is one rule:
Never postpone your life for a man.

I'm glad so many people found the TTKK design useful!

If you want the TTKK to be more "kitcheny", ask Trace to use a bit less belly on the blade, and reduce the size of the bird's beak on the back. As it is, I find the design is great as an all-around camp/utility knife that also excels in the kitchen. Reducing the size of the bird's beak means a little less security for camp and utility use, but it also means that for kitchen use, there's less to interfere with rolling food-chopping motions.

Joe

It's probably a little late in the game but, what about one of Bud Nealy's Pesh Kabz? They are available in both 3 1/2" and 5" blade lengths with his MCS sheath system. The knife has the shape of a traditional french chef's knife and if I remember properly it was designed this way on purpose. To be carried as a backup/defensive piece and still be used for general tasks and look fairly inconspicuous at the same time.

Good luck and take care.

Andy

Andy --

You're right about the Pesh Kabz, it's an excellent choice in this role, and it was one of the knives that influenced me when I starting drawing the TTKK. The reason I didn't just go with the Pesh Kabz is that its primary role as an highly-carryable defense piece means that it's very thin. I was looking for something more comfortable, hand-filling, and secure for extended harder use. But, I think the Pesh Kabz is an excellent choice if you want to trade off some handling for carryability.

Joe

Forged very thin 1095 sharper than I need and easy to use. My wife stole it from me after the ACKS last year. I may get another.

<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=664601&a=4844634&p=19829842" TARGET=_blank>
Thumbnail
</A>

My reply to this, is to buy two knives. I don't know of any knife that can do bothe kitchen, and utility work... Two very different functions.

Good luck!

------------------
us_marine_corps_md_clr.gif
BC... For those who fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know... Semper Fi

Semper Fi Narruc,
I am also an ex-jarhead. I disagree with you somewhat in that I think kitchen/utility knives possess some of the same qualities. I'm not talking about a head-of-lettuce splitting, loaf-of-bread cutting 7-8" bladed chef's knife. I'm talking about an all-around meat cutting, chicken boning, vegetable-slicing light duty knife that could also serve well in mundane utility tasks that most of us MAINLY use all of our knives for. This would include cutting open boxes, letters, fishing line, rope, and the occasional cleaning of game, etc., etc...I think that both should be a flat ground blade tapering gradually to an extremely sharp edge.

Joe,
If I remember correctly, you have very large hands. I have small but thick, meaty hands. I would think that your original TTTKK handle should fit my hands fine. I do like your suggestion of tapering the TTTKK's "bird's beak" handle end just slightly. Also, as to your suggestion for less belly, I concur. As an aside, I think folks are finally finding out how handy sheepsfoot, (Wharncliff), or the "modified" versions really are.

Gene, Dexter and a few folks find that cutting in a "rowboat" motion usually works. Basically using a push cut and rocking back and forth.

But then again, you're right. You don't need that Moran, just give it to me. You know you want to.
biggrin.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gene:
Joe,
If I remember correctly, you have very large hands. I have small but thick, meaty hands. I would think that your original TTTKK handle should fit my hands fine.</font>

I have the same hands as you, small but thick. I've found that the handle on the TTKK seems to fit a wide variety of hands, which is why I wanted it that way -- a palm swell and bird's beak. I think it was Trace who added the finger groove, which turned out to work especially well, IMO. You get the general comfort of a loveless-style handle plus a finger groove for a bit more control.

[quote[
I do like your suggestion of tapering the TTTKK's "bird's beak" handle end just slightly. Also, as to your suggestion for less belly, I concur. As an aside, I think folks are finally finding out how handy sheepsfoot, (Wharncliff), or the "modified" versions really are. [/QUOTE]

Count me among them. I've actually sort-of been a big fan of the wharncliffe all along and never realized it. The delica, endura, and calypso that I've been such a huge fan of are really like a modified wharncliffe -- almost-straight edge, very low sharp point. It's only in the past year it dawned on me that I was really a wharncliffe fan!

Joe

Back