favorite/s swamp rats

I have a M9LE and a saber ground version... they were some of the first "Busses" I ever bought (both in a week !) and were like a gateway drug....LOL

Such a great knife. I'm only on to Busse/Kin a few years..I've just recently became aware of the Mischief's..started w/ an M9LE. Now looking for a saber ground M9.

I think an M7, M7.5 would be a sweet spot for this handle config..full height grind and satin please..:)

Hey Ickythump, I didn't realize you just found out about the Mischief series recently. I was throwing it out there about the M7 because it would be AWESOME but it was never produced in numbers (throwing it out in case the bossman cruises through :) ). There is a picture of one that the shop did produce, but they haven't been seen in the wild. At least that's the way I understand it. Just don't want you to think there are some M7s out there when there aren't.

Love the M9s and my sabre-ground CG gets the bulk of the abuse here. I've got three.....the LE, which you know is FFG, the CG sabre-ground, and a CG that is FFG. Not sure the story behind that last one.

SE6JS0Bl.jpg

7j1n8Iv.jpg

Don't guess I have a pic of the FFG CG handy

Andy the Aussie Andy the Aussie ..Gateway drug...you're not kidding.

Hard Knocks Hard Knocks ..Thanks for the info..great pics..That M9LE is so handsome..I had to go fondle mine after seeing your pic..

Do you think the M9 saber chops better than the M9LE due to a little more "ass"?.. would you have the compared weights of both? M9LE vs M9 saber?

I was indeed aware that there wasn't an M7 as yet..But I agree..would be a hellava knive..in either FFG and or saber..we should lobby for both, of course:D

I didn't know there was a CG FFG..I thought they were all saber ground.

Thanks for the skinny!

Last edited:
Do you think the M9 saber chops better than the M9LE due to a little more "ass"?.. would you have the compared weights of both? M9LE vs M9 saber?

I do think the saber chops better. I usually love ffgs but the saber takes it on this model for me. Certainly splits wood better too. The LEs do look so good though :)

I'll try to grab both of those and bring them into work to get the weights in the next few days. Now you've got me wondering :D

My guess on the sabre ground CG will be an LE blank that had a blemish or gremlin that precluded it taking a satin finish and got a coat and landed on a table at a show or Ganza. The M9 releases predate my venture into the Busse world so that is just speculation. We have however seen similar in the past. I do love how sabre ground blades chop but I can't pass a FFG !! They just look "right" to me !!

One of my favorites would be the Taz Rat. Very close behind that is the Mini Uncle Mojo and the M6.

Hey DB! Never had either of those two, although I've admired them often enough.

My guess on the sabre ground CG will be an LE blank that had a blemish or gremlin that precluded it taking a satin finish and got a coat and landed on a table at a show or Ganza. The M9 releases predate my venture into the Busse world so that is just speculation. We have however seen similar in the past. I do love how sabre ground blades chop but I can't pass a FFG !! They just look "right" to me !!

I rounded up my three so that I can get them in for some weight checks, and just sitting here feeling the balance, I'd choose the FFG models over the saber every time. BUT.......I know how that sabre-ground model performs in the woods. It certainly has more junk in the trunk :D

7nsZamz.jpg

lwkJel3.jpg

555Q3zK.jpg

Old pics....

According to some members, not seen around for a long time (what a blessing!!!), in this pic Andy you have a tanto M7, as the section of blade that's in water has rusted away before you put the camera away...

According to some members, not seen around for a long time (what a blessing!!!), in this pic Andy you have a tanto M7, as the section of blade that's in water has rusted away before you put the camera away...
....... then imagine how fast the uncoated one must have turned to orange dust.....

Can I ask, concerning the Busse Game Warden, any thoughts in comparison with something like a swamp warden with bpiatt scales added or any other similar blades?

Been trying to get to this reply all week, but it's just been too crazy after the tree cleanup from the snowstorm on Monday. Sorry about that... :oops:

The Game Warden is VERY similar to the Swamp Warden with the BPiatt scales!!! That's why I was SO stoked when Ben announced he was going to make the scales; I'm a HUGE fan of the Swamp Warden! :cool: However, that particular Busse GW is quite a bit thinner than even the thinner run of the Swamp Wardens, and is thinner behind the edge, so it definitely slices better. Unfortunately there were too many small differences in the Swamp Warden runs, so the scales didn't fit every version of the handle too well except for the ones he modeled them after. We tried though. :confused:

IMG_2156.jpg IMG_2157.jpg IMG_2158.jpg

Top to bottom:
  • Swamp Warden in Hammered Silver: 0.197" thick
  • Custom Shop Rodent 3: 0.164" thick
  • Swamp Warden in Jungle Green (first run): 0.184" thick
  • Busse Snakeskin Game Warden: 0.138" thick
  • Swamp Warden in Moss Green (thin): 0.147" thick
Surprising that there's a 0.05" difference between those two Swamp Wardens, eh? That's 33% thicker between the thin one and the thickest one!!! :eek:

As much as I love that Rodent 3, I do wish it was a little more rounded off in the butt, and didn't have that bump in the grip. Good EDC knife, but not as comfortable for extended use as the GW or the SW with scales.

Sweet! :cool: Almost looks like those scales are alternating layeres of linen and canvas. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Been wanting one for some time..couldnt resist the brown micarta on this sterile.

I'd be all over an M7.

This came today as well..really impressed, news print slicing sharp and bigger than I expected..pleasantly suprised..I'll have this one a long time.

tjCebFu.jpg

If that's the one I think it is from recently on the exchange, I thank you for buying it! :D It was taunting me... :eek: o_O

Been trying to get to this reply all week, but it's just been too crazy after the tree cleanup from the snowstorm on Monday. Sorry about that... :oops:

Hey Jared, no worries bud. I know how things can go! Our temps just took a drastic drop here, feels like winter is setting in.

Thank you for the comparison pictures, those help no end :thumbsup: I saw Ben was making the distinction between the thicker and thinner versions for his scales on the swamp warden in his most recent thread awhile back. All of mine are the thinner versions, and I scored on some scales, but I still think I need to try the Game Warden ----> That .138 thickness sounds really attractive for this knife. Thanks again for the reply.

Dave

EKtpFWA.jpg

Hey Jared, no worries bud. I know how things can go! Our temps just took a drastic drop here, feels like winter is setting in.

Thank you for the comparison pictures, those help no end :thumbsup: I saw Ben was making the distinction between the thicker and thinner versions for his scales on the swamp warden in his most recent thread awhile back. All of mine are the thinner versions, and I scored on some scales, but I still think I need to try the Game Warden ----> That .138 thickness sounds really attractive for this knife. Thanks again for the reply.

Dave

EKtpFWA.jpg

You're welcome Dave! It seems we had two weeks of fall here, then winter started, lol! Of course it was nearly a blizzard on the first morning of my new job Monday, which comes with a nearly 40-mile drive each way. o_O Yeah, that was a fun morning! :eek:

I don't recall all the details, but I think we found that not only were the thinner vs. thicker SW's different, but then after digging into it, Ben found that the different runs (newer vs. older) were also different as well. Weird for something cut out with water jet or CNC.

Not all of the GW's were that thin, but there are some thinner ones out there, and they've been showing up in the exchange fairly often lately. Definitely worth checking out! :thumbsup:

Back