Fehrman knives

hey bearcut the other day i was messin around on the net and googled infi steel and got to readin about s3v. anyway some guy in the article was saying how much he liked fehrman knives and s3v. to anwser your question no i dont but i would like to have one. heres a pic of one listed on the bay right now. take it easy.:)
attachment.php

I have one of the Peace Maker series. It's a great knife although not mentioned that often. Feels very comfy in my hand, the guard actually works ! The dang thing is as sharp as the Devil's pitchfork. It's one of those great-but-not mentioned too much knives.

Had a Fehrman First Strike and it was the most confortable knife to hold and chop with. Fehrman uses a cushion material betwen the handle and the tang. Very nice fit and finish with nice edge from the shop. Eric is great to deal with and produces a grade A knife...

I have been wanting to try one of those for some time. They look very well made and seem to have a great warranty. Probably well worth the $$$.

I've got a Fehrman Final Judgment, and I love it. It feels very comfortable in the hand, with an appropriate forward balance for chopping (not excessive). For me, the handle stayed comfortable even after an hour of cutting (although I did not do any very hard chopping, since I was indoors). For a knife of that size, it slices pretty well, too - not a fileting knife, to be sure, but surprisingly precise (fruits, veggies, "beef log").

I can't honestly say that I have used it as hard as it should be used - if I brought it out in my apartment complex I'd have quite a bit of explaining to do; but I do know that the steel (CPM-3V) has an excellent reputation.

I think the price is not unreasonable for the knife that you get. If you get one, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Thanks for the input.

I have a 'Last Chance' on the way...I hope!

I'll post pics.

Thanks for the input.

I have a 'Last Chance' on the way...I hope!

I'll post pics.

Bearcut,
Thanks for this post. You beat me to the question.

(2) things!
When you get it, let me know how you like it. I two have been thinking about one, just never seen one or spoke to anyone to make a decision on it.
Where you at up here???
I like the 1st Strike SS Kit myself.

I am a huge Fehrman fan. I have several of their knives. The Last Chance is my favorite, it is a little big knife. It covers a huge spectrum of uses. The steel Fehrman uses CPM-3V not S3V is great. I have only ever read one bad right up on it and that was by an unreliable source in my opinion. Eric and the crew are great to deal with as well. I cannot reccomend them highly enough. I have used my Last Change hard and it keeps wanting more. You cannot go wrong with a Fehrman! Ohh and check out the First Strike survival kit they have on sale right now.

I appreciate the info, TrailSide. I'm really having difficulty deciding on what to get myself. On one hand, I'm VERY interested in both the fit/finish and the warranty of Busse, but after poring over pics and references and finally finding the knife I want, the NO E was actually made a few years back, and is now pretty expensive (between 350-450). I think the Last Chance would fit my needs well, but I just like Busse's guarantee. "We'll fix/replace it, period." I'm just not sure...

I dont own a fehrman knife, but i did reasearch them a while back because I was going to buy one (until my money had to go to other bills). From what i read on here and in other forums the guarantee on a fehrman is just about the same. On their website it says this:

"Fehrman Knives are Guaranteed not to fail… for life. (If you unintentionally damage your knife, we will recondition or replace it.)"

So unless you purposefully mess up your knife you should be OK. But like I said I have never experienced this first hand. Its just what I have heard other Fehrman users say.

Guys, the Busse NO-E is just one sweet chunk of steel. One of my all time favorites. Not too big or small. But, as has been mentioned, they have gone up in price quite a bit as they are older Busse models. They pop up now and again on the exchange. Like all things, the prices certain knives demand can fluctuate a lot. And the warranty is second to none IMHO.

Now as for Fehrman knives... They look awesome. I have heard mostly good things regarding them. Their warranty looks great. And the models mentioned here are currently in production I am told. So no secondary mark ups. Not yet anyway.

I'd say give one a try. And let us know how they perform. If you do not like them they seem to get bought up pretty quickly here on the exchange so you could probably get close to all your $$$ back. Good luck guys. :)

I've got the Ferhman First Strike and I really like it. Frankly I bought it as a less expensive alternative to the Busse blades and I am perfectly content. My only complaint would be I had to trim down the Kydex sheath; there was a quarter inch of Kydex beyond the rivets.

BTW, the knive comes shaving sharp.

I have a First Strike and Peacemaker. I really like them both, but the ergonomics of the Peacemaker are perfect for my hands. Both great knives.

Just to add some more. The fit and finish on my Fehrman's are as good as any other maker, Fehrman is not out done. They come very sharp and will hold that edge for a long, long time. If you will look at Ron Hood's forum, there is a lot of discussion on Fehrman knives over there. You have my word, you will love a Fehrman. Their warranty is as good as anyone, they are stand up good people. Give Fehrman a call and talk to them.

I have a Last Chance and have used it in place of a hatchet for roughing out the shape on a spoon.

I beat on it since June, did develop some patina through use, and just cleaned it up with a Scotchbrite belt the other day.

The handle is very comfy and never has given me any problems with hot spots.

I got the factory kydex. It works well. It isn't beautiful like the lines on the Last Chance but it does the job, holds the knife securely, doesn't rattle, and easily clips on and off the belt.

Since June the only maintenance I've done on it, until the cleanup the other day, was an occasional stropping with black and green compound.

B

Oh boy! I can't wait to get it!

I've been reading some more about various steels and heat treating. In addition, I've found several articles about S-3V in general and Fehrman knives in particular.

Sounds like this is going to be one tough knife. I guess the edge holding is phenomenal too.

It might rust...DOH!
Oh well, you can't have everything!
I'm getting the coated version so that should help. I'm pretty carefull with my knives anyway, keeping them clean and all.

I haven't had a knife this big since my Buckmaster 184.

I hope I don't put my eye out....

Back