1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Fiddleback Bushboot Showcase

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Gevonovich, May 9, 2015.

1. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    That has to be the nicest user bushboot that I’ve ever seen. ;)

varga49, B Griffin, Tutone and 2 others like this.
  2. Hurrul

Hurrul Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2017
    [​IMG]

3. varga49

varga49 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    1FC63783-52DD-472F-8D05-27FF3AC1DB78.jpeg I find myself looking at this Bushboot thread way too often. And as much as I need to sell some knives, I can’t sell this one!
    Officially Withdrawn

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  4. Hurrul

Aug 26, 2017
    The Bushboot species of Fiddlebacks proved to be quite infectious for me....before I recovered from the bite, I had 3...

[​IMG]

Gevonovich, Lady1911, A.S. and 6 others like this.
  5. CAD

CAD

Jan 11, 2006
    They look intriguing. Does the butt end dig into your hand at all?
    @Hurrul

6. Hurrul

Aug 26, 2017
    Good morning or evening to you CAD -

At least with the brown burlap example, my smallish to medium hands don't have any issue in a hammer grip or reverse chest lever type grip.

When auguring a hole or doing work with the tip, I tend to choke forward and use a pinch grip, grasping part of the handle and part of the blade so I don't typically brace the pommel face flush against my palm and then press down on it.

However, the bottom wood handle example has a different pommel than the 2 above it and it has enough of an abrupt edge to increase pressure and possible discomfort if you were not wearing gloves of some sort while using it in the example task above (choked back on the handle and the pommel face nesting in the palm or meaty part of your hand) - I am speculating, but it seems to be an older variant of the model and the other 2 were subsequent iterations that addressed your concern with a different pommel design.

I don't have much field time with the older model, but it seems that it would behave differently than the brown burlap one, if the 2 were compared side by side, performing prolonged work during a tip oriented task.

I don't have any photos convenient to illustrate the differences in the respective back ends, but I will try get some this evening and post them for additional reference.

Thanks for reading.

Lady1911, CAD, varga49 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Hurrul

Aug 26, 2017
    Some pics to show the differences in the pommel shapes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a couple to show where the respective back ends in a hammer grip:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for reading.

Lady1911 and varga49 like this.
  8. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012

Yep! That rounded handle makes the world of difference to me too. I've had some Fiddlebacks, some WA Surls, and some Flemings where the back edges were sharp and not comfortable so I sold them but I kept the same models where the edges were rounded.

9. Hurrul

Aug 26, 2017
    I do find myself preferring the appearance of the sharper ended version, even if I use the rounded version more...something about that abrupt edge and the silhouette it helps create...flowing in an arcing line lending a satisfying symmetry to my personal eye.

Thanks for reading.

Lady1911 and VANCE like this.
  10. NoRest

NoRest Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2015
    A.S., Bmurray, Lady1911 and 8 others like this.