Fiddleback Bushboot Showcase

bCfFpQgl.jpg

They look intriguing. Does the butt end dig into your hand at all?
Hurrul Hurrul

Good morning or evening to you CAD -

At least with the brown burlap example, my smallish to medium hands don't have any issue in a hammer grip or reverse chest lever type grip.

When auguring a hole or doing work with the tip, I tend to choke forward and use a pinch grip, grasping part of the handle and part of the blade so I don't typically brace the pommel face flush against my palm and then press down on it.

However, the bottom wood handle example has a different pommel than the 2 above it and it has enough of an abrupt edge to increase pressure and possible discomfort if you were not wearing gloves of some sort while using it in the example task above (choked back on the handle and the pommel face nesting in the palm or meaty part of your hand) - I am speculating, but it seems to be an older variant of the model and the other 2 were subsequent iterations that addressed your concern with a different pommel design.

I don't have much field time with the older model, but it seems that it would behave differently than the brown burlap one, if the 2 were compared side by side, performing prolonged work during a tip oriented task.

I don't have any photos convenient to illustrate the differences in the respective back ends, but I will try get some this evening and post them for additional reference.

Thanks for reading.

Some pics to show the differences in the pommel shapes:
oioRPjz.jpg

Rini6tc.jpg

And a couple to show where the respective back ends in a hammer grip:
ky1cRS3.jpg

E7tSuUf.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Some pics to show the differences in the pommel shapes:
oioRPjz.jpg

Rini6tc.jpg

And a couple to show where the respective back ends in a hammer grip:
ky1cRS3.jpg

E7tSuUf.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Yep! That rounded handle makes the world of difference to me too. I've had some Fiddlebacks, some WA Surls, and some Flemings where the back edges were sharp and not comfortable so I sold them but I kept the same models where the edges were rounded.

Yep! That rounded handle makes the world of difference to me too. I've had some Fiddlebacks, some WA Surls, and some Flemings where the back edges were sharp and not comfortable so I sold them but I kept the same models where the edges were rounded.

I do find myself preferring the appearance of the sharper ended version, even if I use the rounded version more...something about that abrupt edge and the silhouette it helps create...flowing in an arcing line lending a satisfying symmetry to my personal eye.

Thanks for reading.

Back