Fiddleback Forge 1/8 or 3mm O-1 Tool Steel with Convex Grind,Photos & Discussion

Mistwalker

Gold Member
I've had the convex K.E.Bushie for a week today. Far from finished with testing, it's a long term test of the convex 1/8 / 3mm O-1 tool steel. Normally I use a knife in the kitchen first, then take it to the bush, but since I have used the convex 1/8 in the kitchen quite a bit, this time I hit the woods with it first.

The first project I thought of was inspired by the bitter cold and the snow covered ground. There is a method of using a bow drill called a two-stick hearth which, though more complicated to master than it at first appears, involves less intricate cutting and notching, works well on frozen or snowy ground, and doesn't require as much gathering of materials. All that is needed are something sharp to cut with (preferably a well made knife, as doing it with a sharp stone sucks :) ), some cordage, three sticks of soft-seasoned wood, roughly the same diameter, for the hearth and spindle, and a bowed sapling or branch for a bow.

This is the environment.

1_zpsf36c7c0f.jpg

I try to find one branch, or small standing dead sapling, from which to make the heath and spindle. The wood needs to be dry, and softly seasoned, but not rotten. It should whittle into curls rather than crumble when you whittle into it, and it should be soft enough that you can dent it with your thumbnail.

2_zps6faccfeb.jpg

3_zpsf0437568.jpg

4_zps0cb06ba3.jpg

5_zps7f0bab7a.jpg

Small knives aren't much for chopping, but in smaller projects like this a good sharp knife will do fine. When I am needing or wanting a clean break in branch say maybe the size of my thumb and even larger, I use a method I call ring-and-break. I whittle a ring notch all the way around the branch to weaken it, then break it, sometimes using a tree to break it on.

7a_zpsf628a323.jpg

8_zps63cd8936.jpg

9a_zps84dfff16.jpg

10_zps8960b245.jpg

I usually make my spindles before the hearth-board.

13.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

18.jpg

Last edited:
The hearth is fairly simple to make. Using whatever cordage you have on hand; a para-cord bracelet, a bootlace, strips of cloth from a garment, or natural cordage woven from vines or fibrous leaves, tie the two sticks that make up the hearth together. Then place the tip of the drill end of the spindle into the trough of the hearth, mark each side of the spindle with the tip of your knife, then cut a shallow semicircular notch into each side. This stops the spindle from just traveling back and forth in the trough, and will become the socket as you drill into it.

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24A.jpg

24B.jpg

Last edited:
For the bearing block, you need a non-spalted, not rotten piece of hardwood, and there are various ways to go about it depending on the types of wood in your area. I prefer hard seasoned hickory, oak, walnut, or any hardwood that will glaze and become smooth from the heat of the spinning spindle. This reduces the amount of heat transferred to your hand when drilling. This time I used a section of a birch tree that was recently brought down by the weight of ice and snow, and the high winds, I used the same ring-and-notch technique to remove a limb, and then to remove the section I need from the cut end.

25_zpsd95f08c3.jpg

26_zps9d337ba5.jpg

27_zps62af1eae.jpg

28_zpsb859849e.jpg

Then just to speed things along, rather than whittle a flat spot for the divot, I used a stick off the ground as a baton, and a downed log as an anvil and split off a section of the bearing block. Then I used the knife tip to bore the divot for the spindle. You want this divot deep enough that the spindle does not slip out during the spinning, but only just deep enough. You'll want as much insulation as you can get between your hand and the hot tip of the spindle. The divot will indeed heat up as the spindle turn in it.

29_zpsa4b72249.jpg

30_zpscfd4cdb9.jpg

31_zps58a251ca.jpg

32_zps5e9c206d.jpg

33_zpsd4df8de4.jpg

34_zps707bffe4.jpg

35_zps1a921b05.jpg

Now the spindle, hearth, and bearing block are made.

36_zpsea250b4b.jpg

The pieces fit together like this

37_zpscfe82c07.jpg

All that is lacking now is the bow to turn the spindle with, and tinder to turn the ember into flame. There will be more on that in part -3 of “Keep It Sharp”, but one good tinder material is the dried fibrous inner bark of certain types of trees. I find it better for the most part to remember characteristics than actual names.

38_zps4bc35918.jpg

Last edited:
Then I took the knife into the kitchen, more as a test of edge retention than a test in how well the 1/8 convex slices, I already know how well it slices :) The little wanted catfish for dinner one night, so I used the KE Bushie to slice the potatoes into steak fries, dice the onions and cut the peppers for the hushpuppies, and to slice up the catfish fillets. For me the KE Bushie is like an awesome, sturdy, all purpose paring knife that I can take to the woods with me. I love the way the knife handles. Yep, still sharp even after all of the abrasion against the hardwood in making the parts for the bow drill, still nice and slicey!

39a_zps14e629d8.jpg

40_zps98c96fa3.jpg

41_zpsc6a0420b.jpg

42_zpsb547af3a.jpg

43_zps9e28787a.jpg

44_zps961ae2f5.jpg

45_zps5877ad89.jpg

46_zpsf137f3f0.jpg

Last edited:
The next day for lunch I made a smoked sausage sandwich, since the KEB was on my belt, that's what I used. The knife is still plenty sharp enough to slice sausage for homemade pizza if I wanted, and made quick work of slicing the sausage into a plank for my sandwich

47_zps2e6de4b0.jpg

48_zps36650e48.jpg

49_zps865c2869.jpg

50_zpsb7c2e9d5.jpg

51_zpsb422814e.jpg

52_zps07ca3411.jpg

Obviously tests are still on going, and I still don't know if I want to go with a 1/8”/3mm blade for the winters here after this last one, even paired with an axe. But I certainly won't be feeling under-knifed with it on my belt during this coming warm season :)

Last edited:
I think that there are such things as absolute truth in our lives. A very wise and good mentor of mine taught me many years ago that "you have to give it away in order to keep it." When I first heard this, I looked very perplexed, but he was a kind and humble mentor, and he worked with me for the next couple of years until I understood (I'm a slow learner sometimes). I think that this simple statement uttered by my mentor is an absolute truth. I also think that Mist has learned this lesson in his life as well. He so freely is giving to this community his knowledge, experiences and little truths that he has learned along the way. Sometimes his gifts are intended to just make us laugh, like the "famous bacon incident of 1985." The propane bill may have emptied his wallet this past winter, but I am willing to wager that he is a very wealthy man where it counts. Thank you Mist for being so willing to share so freely of yourself with this community.

Cool! Saw this in the blog and thought it was you!

Yeah, it's me lol. I have no idea what is going on with BF today, but it doesn't seem to want to let me upload photos from photo bucket for some reason... I am used to the limit on photos they put in place some years back which changed it to a max of 40 photos per post. Today it wouldn't let me upload 30, then would let me upload when I dropped to 9, but that is looking like a glitch. My battery was dying, and I had to go pick up my daughter, so I saved some reply space till I figure it out. A moment ago it wouldn't even let me upload 5...so I am thinking there is a technical issue. I hope so, because there are a lot more photos to this post than are on the blog. There are most of the photos from the part-2 to come, and then several other photos just specific to the tests this knife is undergoing. I'll check it again later and see what happens. No idea yet if it is a BF issue or a PB issue, until I try uploading on another forum.

I think that there are such things as absolute truth in our lives. A very wise and good mentor of mine taught me many years ago that "you have to give it away in order to keep it." When I first heard this, I looked very perplexed, but he was a kind and humble mentor, and he worked with me for the next couple of years until I understood (I'm a slow learner sometimes). I think that this simple statement uttered by my mentor is an absolute truth. I also think that Mist has learned this lesson in his life as well. He so freely is giving to this community his knowledge, experiences and little truths that he has learned along the way. Sometimes his gifts are intended to just make us laugh, like the "famous bacon incident of 1985." The propane bill may have emptied his wallet this past winter, but I am willing to wager that he is a very wealthy man where it counts. Thank you Mist for being so willing to share so freely of yourself with this community.

Your mentor reminds me of one of my own, a man that I knew only as Pete, but who was like an uncle to me at a very critical time in my life. Looking back, I think he was likely wise beyond his years before the five years working above the 17th parallel in south east Asia, but he was a very wise man when I met him. He used to seem like he was talking in riddles too, back when I was 12, but as I got older his words made more sense. He and his best friend Dave were friends of my mother's and came in the lounge in Dallas where she was head bartender a lot back in the mid 70s. They didn't like my stepfather any more than I did, and used to take me camping on the weekends to give me a break from him. We spent a lot of time hanging out together, and in all honesty it is thanks to those two men that I am still alive today...it's a very long story. They gave knowledge and words of wisdom and encouragement to me freely at a time of great need, just how great I would not know for a few years to come. Though I went back to Dallas and spent a couple of years looking for them, I never saw them again after 1979. The only way I have of repaying the debt I owe those two men is to be like them. To share what I have learned over the years with others who are interested. Maybe by sharing what I have learned, someone else's life may be saved one day and thus that kindness continue on into the future beyond my time here.

Yeah, I laugh at it now, but I still have scars from the bacon incident lol

I figured it out. I have always typed up my posts in word, and then pasted them. A while back I had an issue with the photos not showing up on another forum, and it turned out the problem was that Word automatically makes it a link and turns it blue when I hit enter to go to the next line. I had to start putting those threads on Notepad between word and posting to do away with the blue links. I tried that this time and the photos worked, so I guess there was some sort of update to BF I wasn't aware of. Anyway, the photos show up now. I think I could have done it in two posts if I had known, but since I had reserved enough reply space for using smaller posts, I just used them up in small bites of the photos. I did have to refresh the page to get them to show though.

Wow, talk about a pain in the neck! I have no idea what is/was going on, but by removing some of the text I was able to get all of the photos in an order that makes sense to look at now. Apparently there have been some changes to the text and image limits, and rather than a pop up telling you that you have exceeded a limit, it just says "web page not available" I'll have to study this one to find out how to make it go smoother in the process of posting the next one.

If you tried to read it before and it made no sense, try it again, and if you see an issue post a comment on it here.

Hey Mist, the catfish dinner post and pics are doubled up. But trying to fix this might make things worse for you. It is simple enough to skip to the sausage:).

Hey Mist, the catfish dinner post and pics are doubled up. But trying to fix this might make things worse for you. It is simple enough to skip to the sausage:).

Yeah, I saw that, and yes I sort of wish I had in a way, but I fixed that part. Now that I have it all in order, and think I know what's going on, I wish I could just delete the whole thing and do it over. Lol, this is the first time since I have been a member of this forum that I have wished I could be a mod for about half a day...

Cool thread mist

Thanks D, I just edited the title so if and when it pops up on the front page, maybe they won't try to move it to "knife Specific Discussion". I'll do a full thread on it there after all of the tests are done. This was just something I wanted to post here to give the newer people some perspective...and to show there is more that goes on for the blog posts than the six photos I am able to attach per blog post :)

Maybe I should crop it a little tighter, or edit the color saturation, but the point of the sausage post was to show how cleanly it still sliced it after the abrasion against the wood when cutting the parts for the bow drill, and after the abrasion against the bamboo cutting board, as well as some whittling in between that no photos were taken of.

Thanks for doing this Mist. This thread has everything a good thread should have: great information, excellent pics, easy to follow, and smoked sausage sandwiches.

All kidding aside, this is a great thread. Will you be posting the fire pics in this thread?

Mist, Top notch post as always. Thank you for sharing your skills and lessons!

Awesome posts Mist. YOU ARE THE MAN!

Thanks man, glad you enjoyed it! Oh, no, not the man...but I have had the pleasure and good fortune of hanging out with a few of the men. I guess some of it rubbed off :)

Thanks for doing this Mist. This thread has everything a good thread should have: great information, excellent pics, easy to follow, and smoked sausage sandwiches.

All kidding aside, this is a great thread. Will you be posting the fire pics in this thread?

Thanks Duder, glad you liked the post. Well, I hadn't thought that out really, but if you guys are interested I can put it here somewhere I guess, if I can get it uploaded lol

...I debated between the sausage and the midnight snack pork chop last night :) Seemed the sausage said more about the edge retention, but cooked meat is a good abrasion to expose and edge to for testing...

53.jpg

Mist, Top notch post as always. Thank you for sharing your skills and lessons!

Thanks Allen, the compliments are much appreciated, I'm glad you liked the post.

Back