Filework - An era that has passed? (hopefully)

I really like filework on some knives, however, because DaveH doesn't like it, I may decide to start disliking it now as well. :rolleyes:

Just a smidge.
Greg
orig.jpg

yes, that was a bit offensive, sorry.

A little can be great, but more then a little is too much.

Greg pic is right on, here's another form TNK. Clean, simple fresh not garish.

FC8042.jpg

I think this is a good non filework example. I'm assuming there is no filework on the top bottom, there could be.

Any filework on the sides would completely ruin the purity of the look.

EWS5158.jpg

I think this is a good non filework example. I'm assuming there is no filework on the top bottom, there could be.

Any filework on the sides would completely ruin the purity of the look.

EWS5158.jpg

In your opinion I assume??

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion. Like Dave, I dislike filework as a decoration. It does nothing for me aesthetically and only serves to become a collection point for mung on a working knife. About the only place I find it acceptable ON A KNIFE THAT I WILL BUY is in the area on a fixed blade where it becomes a traction aid for the thumb. There are many custom slipjoint makers I have never wanted to own because of all the filework they use.

If you want it, have at it. But I won't buy it. Enjoy.

Just like anything else, I've seen filework that really looks great, and I've seen filework that is done very poorly and/or looks out of place on the knife.

Is another name for file work:D

Seriously though, I like some filework and hope to own a Ruple or Morrow with filework someday...but I wouldn't want a full collection of it.

File work, like ALL things in life, is to be taken on thing at a time. To generalize, I like filework, but I find that many pieces take it a bit too far. I either like absolutely "out there" filework, or simple work. An example of "out there" filework is lightning filework- it's a repeating pattern, but non symmetric, and unless it's used on too much of the blade, it rarely gets boring or distasteful. The other can be seen in T.A. Davidson's work. I hope to own a toothpick done by him one day, wheat (that's what I call it) filework and all. Here's a link to one of his more recent pieces: http://bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468647 .

I have seen some filework that looks like it was done by a blind monkey with arthritis. It has destroyed the aesthetics of the knife. Other times I have seen excellent filework that is inappropriate for the look of the knife. Then there have been times that I have seen knives that wouldn't look right without the it.

Filework will not suit everyones tastes, but I'm pretty sure it will stick around. Just like engraving, scrimshaw or carving, filework can look fantastic on many knives when done tastefully.

Filework to the extreme:

orig.jpg

So carefully crafted and so utterly useless as a user. I like it! :thumbup: ;)

Filework in useful moderation:

orig.jpg

Notice he filled-in the valleys with clear epoxy.

Smart Filework has defined some makers:

orig.jpg

(This one, luckily enough, resides in my own collection!)
orig.jpg

Charles Gedraitis (older work):
orig.jpg

Hill Pearce (really old work):
orig.jpg

continued...

Discreet filework enhances some work:
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

While others (Like DaveH) may like the plain look:
orig.jpg

It's here to stay. ;) :thumbup:

Coop

I agree that that was a GREAT visual Coop!! Thank you!! That Dake folder in your collection is awesome! Thank you for sharing that one with us.

Terrific thread, started off kind of odd but I'm loving the pictures.

STeven, :)

Win

Awesome pics Coop of some spectacular looking filework......there was no blind monkey with arthritis involved with those.:)

Back