Finnish/Earlier Scandi axes - Kirves

Every axe wants a new handle, the question is when.
*Im more interested in old axes as opposed to new ones if that makes sense.
This re-steeled Larsson axe is even better than the warehoused unused ones the company is promoting now. Even with that less than pristine seam at the socket's closure it's an excellent specimen.

Last edited:
Another sharp chunk of old Swedish axe. It’s missing its poll but I am not “missing” its poll, if that makes sense. I am unsure what you call the pattern in general but it has a “piilu” feel to it but with a thicker collar with less taper – maybe that is what drew me in.
The overall bit construction is pretty interesting. Maybe someone can id the wood better but I thought it might be Ash.

Timmerthing

Timmerthing

Timmerthing

Timmerthing

Timmerthing

Another sharp chunk of old Swedish axe. It’s missing its poll but I am not “missing” its poll, if that makes sense. I am unsure what you call the pattern in general but it has a “piilu” feel to it but with a thicker collar with less taper – maybe that is what drew me in.
The overall bit construction is pretty interesting. Maybe someone can id the wood better but I thought it might be Ash.

Timmerthing

Timmerthing

Timmerthing

Timmerthing

Timmerthing
Wow what an interesting axe... that shape in the bit is so... is so... interesting! I can't tell what the heck is going on there. The grain does look like the ash family for sure. Great find!

It's the poor man's archaic timmeryxa. The poor man's my characterization the archaic timmeryxa, Marcus Lepola's. But in fact I call it gnomic because of the way mine looks, yours being a bit more handsome.
p9062141.jpg

I've said it before here but these are very fun axes to use, so forgiving, and give you that random faceted surface.
p9062137.jpg

Yes, the handle it could be ash.

I am looking at making a handle for this Hults Bruk axe:
48772770592_04eb246608_h.jpg

I've seen similar models described in literature as "västgötayxa" in some catalogs, HB's rendition being the "Westergötland", and a similar version in the following 1913 Kölefors Bruk, "Svartlackerand" (that one without a nail slot). They all may be distinctly different patterns that I am just not familiar with enough to draw solid distinctions.
That last catalog example seems to have the recess integrated into the eye instead of set in front of it as in the one I acquired.
34-FFED99-3100-4331-B9-CA-C5-A887-C317-AA.jpg

85-CF1035-6879-4-AE9-98-A2-26-BE3503-AE3-E.jpg

In general, a larger carpentry axe? A short and mildly straight handle without a swell to speak of?

I am looking at making a handle for this Hults Bruk axe:
48772770592_04eb246608_h.jpg

I've seen similar models described in literature as "västgötayxa" in some catalogs, HB's rendition being the "Westergötland", and a similar version in the following 1913 Kölefors Bruk, "Svartlackerand" (that one without a nail slot). They all may be distinctly different patterns that I am just not familiar with enough to draw solid distinctions.
That last catalog example seems to have the recess integrated into the eye instead of set in front of it as in the one I acquired.
34-FFED99-3100-4331-B9-CA-C5-A887-C317-AA.jpg

85-CF1035-6879-4-AE9-98-A2-26-BE3503-AE3-E.jpg

In general, a larger carpentry axe? A short and mildly straight handle without a swell to speak of?
Can't answer any of your questions but that is a handsome axe! Those styles are growing on me and that is a fine example imo.
I've been avoiding buying anything made outside of the U.S. But my reasoning is sound... If I start buying foreign made ones I'll have to have one of each of them too! Normally people need a smaller house once their kid(s) move out. I need a bigger one! Haha.

That would be my interpretation. I think your existing handle with less of a hump under the eye is better suited to the task than the catalog handle. It may be an advance HB made later when better wood was available.

I think some increase in handle thickness at the swell is warranted. Most carpentry axes have that. Your existing handle slims considerably below the eye. I can't image it stayed that slim to the end of the haft.

I'm a axe collector in Finland and would gladly assist on exporting Finnish collared axes To US and Canada. Especially if you can help me get some nice double bit axes this way. I have 15-20 collared heads atthe moment, shipping is expensive if only few is shipped at time. PayPal is an option. Contact tuomas.hayrynen@gmail.com if interested.

Last edited:
Hi again, I found another axe head, this time a Kellokoski, man they copied Billnäs, even the same 122 type of numbering. They really tried to play on the billnäs look to sell axes. The eye looks interesting to me, it looks as if the whole axe head was folded and forge welded together.

sKHzpIs.jpg

24fpDXN.jpg

rcdpnsQ.jpg

5isEges.jpg

I will sharpen this and fashion a handle for it as well. Birch most likely since that is what I got.

And the shaft is done, took me a while to get started. I guess I spent two days on it so I am a worthless man too. Did not have enough material for a really good bend at the end so I just made a swell instead, can't see it very well in the photos but it swells sideways. Gives a good grip IMO. I treated this shaft (birch) with BLO, my other ones I treated with shellac as I read somewhere that was traditionally done, I think I like shellac more than the BLO, much more dirt resistant. This axe is now dirty looking from me holding it with dirty hands, while the shellaced ones still look good many years later and it was never too slippery to use imo, I only used thin coat and didn't polish it much.

Back