First Chris Reeve Knife

Which CRK?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Knifeaddict556

Gold Member
Hello Bladeforums

I have recently made the decision to buy my first Chris Reeve Knife. I was wondering what the main differences we're between the Sebenza, Inkosi, and the Umnumzaan. I have decided on the large version for all these knives. Also if any of you own or have handled one or all of these knives your feedback would be great.

Thanks

I've owned all 3 and although they are all great knives, I like the Inkosi with the Insingo blade the best. It checks all the marks that I like in a CRK knife. Didn't care for the nub on the lockbar of the Umnumzaan, also the silent lockup doesn't do anything for me. The Sebenza is great, but I much prefer the ceramic ball interface of the Inkosi/25. YMMV.

You can't go wrong! Although I'm a 21 fan at heart. The Inkosi checks more boxes for the average user.

I've had 3-4 21's in a row. My next will be a variation of the Inkosi. For now it's XM18. :)

The Umnum is great and has a sexy blade/construction. But the handle shape and lock bar cutout are not natural.

I have voted 21 in every other thread I have voted on and that is mostly due to the simple build and rock solid lock up. Today I recommend the Inkosi.

I too have and still own at least one of each ... I like them all for different reasons ..

But I think everyone should own a 21 ... the classic standard of folders. I doubt it matters which you get first ... once you get one the rest will follow.

I do have to add for full disclosure that straight out of the box my Inkosis have been the smoothest ... the 21 ... 25 ... and Umnumzaan took a bit of break in.

Last edited:
Buy a Sebenza first (lots of artwork and finish options available through the online vendors although I’d suggest one with black micarta inlays), an Inkosi second and then ask yourself why you'd need a Zaan.

I too have and still own at least one of each ... I like them all for different reasons ..

But I think everyone should own a 21 ... the classic standard of folders. I doubt it matters which you get first ... once you get one the rest will follow.

I do have to add for full disclosure that straight out of the box my Inkosis have been the smoothest ... the 21 ... 25 ... and Umnumzaan took a bit of break in.

But a broken in 21 is a magical thing.

21 gets better with age and usage which over my knife journey I have found is more important than out of the box “WOW” factor.

It is slim, light and just feels great in the pocket. It is like the ultimate civilian framelock in my eyes.

But a broken in 21 is a magical thing.

21 gets better with age and usage which over my knife journey I have found is more important than out of the box “WOW” factor.

It is slim, light and just feels great in the pocket. It is like the ultimate civilian framelock in my eyes.

I think they all get better with age ... but I can agree the 21 is just inconic and there is something about watching the wear form as it gets smoother and smoother and the character builds.

As much as I still like the Inkosi, I am biased to Sebenza for one main reason. I prefer the small versions and the small Inkosi is just a tad too much smaller. But you're looking into the large versions so my issues wouldn't really be a factor for you.

I have both the Large 21 and Umnumzaan. My first love was the umnumzaan, then a month later the large 21. As for maintenance goes, the 21 sebenza is my choice as its straight forward to assemble/disassemble and uses only 1 tool. There is no need to tune the pivot except taking extra care during assembly so as not to pinch the washers.

I have a large 21 knife art carbon fiber show side and Inkosi titanium both drop points.
I always wanted the dual thumbstuds for the sebenza but then I got the inkosi and was like nice. The sebenza flicks open better but inkosi is easier to open in general due to less lockbar pressure and detent design.

Can't go wrong between either. And you can send the 21 in to get dual thumbstuds for extra iirc. I like the cf show side on the 21 too. Its light weight for its size but they have a tendency to go out of center with time.

There is no wrong choice.

Ut75tfK.jpg

My votes for the umnumzaan, I got mine about two months ago or maybe more and I think Ive maybe not carried it 8 times within that period. It was my first CRK and it's definitely not going to be my last. But you couldn't go wrong with either one!

Agreed^
I really wish I decided to get one sooner the simplicity of construction and the tolerances are extremely impressive. There knives that are meant to be used and look better with age in my opinion. Plus the smoothness of my umnumzaan still blows me away just like it did when I opened the box!

Back