First Chris Reeve Knife

Which CRK?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Start with a classic. Small plain Jane 21 would be and what I did start with.

After a few years use it aged knicely.

dhHUnBa.jpg

Small 21 Insingo finally got me to stop flirting with buying one, only to walk away without. It has been going on for years. Ultimately, I settled into the realization that I wasn’t going to stop wanting and needing one.

Neutral handle (no finger grooves) and plain, utilitarian style hooked me. It’s a user. Looks like one. Feels like one. Works like one.

None of this is different that the others, except the finger grooves. That’s the tie breaker for me,

probably hard to go wrong. I have a small Inkosi micarta insingno currently but my small 21s were nice. Amazing timeless knifes.

Sebenza for the win. I have a large 21 and a small 21, both insingo blades with black micarta...love 'em!

I know nothing but I really like the looks of the large sebenza drop point with diamond plate scale pattern!

IMO there is no wrong choice. My first CR (hopefully soon) will be the plane 21. For me, I can't see a better starting point.

I've had multiples of each. The Umnumzaan is my favorite CRK. For a first however I'd advise the Large Inkosi, preferably in Insingo blade.

I prefer the large sebenza over the large inkosi.
The more neutral handle,the thinner blade stock,the grind and the ease to maintain have been in favor of the sebenza for me

But both are great and it is just a question of personnal tastes

Actually on the small versions I prefer the inkosi:)

I personally feel that if you are going to buy something from CRK, your first choice should be a 21. It's the quintessential CRK.

I owned one for a very brief time, a large 21 with bocote inlay. Loved everything about but one flaw, which is just me. I have large thumbs, and very dry skin. I just could not get a purchase on their studs with a strongish detent. I sadly had to sell it.

I think this was 2015. I don't care much for knives over 3.5" blade length, otherwise an umnumzaan would work. I really prefer closer to 3".

As arthritis got worse, I sold most of my knives with thumbstuds, except for 2 which have rather robust and easier to grip studs.

Whatever you do, you can't go wrong with any of them. My recommendation is the 21 though. Insingo.

Hi guys.. I have the 21, and the Inkosi.. both with micarta inlays.. and the Inkosi seems to fill my hands better, and it’s incredibly smooth out of the box as well.. however I noted the lockbar does behave a little different as compared to the 21, as in it digs into the blade tang more, resulting like what seems like a lock stick. It could be bcos the contact surface of the ceramic ball and the tang is very tiny?
Anyone notice that as well?

For your FIRST CRK, I have to give the nod to the 21.

For ease of disassembly/maintenance/reassembly to "perfect" it can't be beat. You can dial the others' actions but the simplicity of the 21 wins hands down.

I just carry the wrench in my wallet and can tear down the knife at a moment's notice anywhere if needed. Then just tighten the screws and you're off to the races again.

B

RAovMArh.jpg

Lots of videos on YouTube comparing these.
Just knowkthat the hollow grind is pretty awesome and cuts great.

I’ve been looking at buying a Large Inkosi in the near future. Never had one. I’d like to check it out.

I’ve had a few Sebenza 21’s and they’re great. So I recommend going Sebenza.

I personally feel that if you are going to buy something from CRK, your first choice should be a 21. It's the quintessential CRK.

I owned one for a very brief time, a large 21 with bocote inlay. Loved everything about but one flaw, which is just me. I have large thumbs, and very dry skin. I just could not get a purchase on their studs with a strongish detent. I sadly had to sell it.

I think this was 2015. I don't care much for knives over 3.5" blade length, otherwise an umnumzaan would work. I really prefer closer to 3".

As arthritis got worse, I sold most of my knives with thumbstuds, except for 2 which have rather robust and easier to grip studs.

Whatever you do, you can't go wrong with any of them. My recommendation is the 21 though. Insingo.

I had a new thumbstud put on for that reason.

You definitely should. ;)
The red linen micarta inlays on the Large Inkosi are just so seductive.

I was actually considering a new Sebenza 21 but I thought I’d try out an Inkosi since I have yet to handle one.

Or you could make the correct choice and just buy an Umnumzaan. ;)

Sebenza with inlay is more purdy.

I had a new thumbstud put on for that reason.

Hmm, different shape? If had the bones for a benza, I'd buy one and do that. But, permanently disabled at age 40 makes it difficult to sneak something like that by the 'rents. Someday maybe I'll be able to work again. Oh well. I can dream.

You're on the right track planning to get them all. All things being equal I'd say start with the 21. But yeah, you're firmly in the "can do no wrong" category with this question.

svmfx97.jpg

Back