Fit and Finish - A Long Story

Just to clarify, I did not agree w/myself! I'm new to the forum & am not quite savvy, just yet, in agreeing to quotes.
I was agreeing to Trashboss's comment. Now, I also agree w/ CLE's comments.
Fit & finish may not be important to some, but in today's market, it's imperative that a manufacturer listen to the customers' concerns. There are many loyal Emerson fans out there & I am sure there would be more if the fit & finish issues were addressed.
Just my 2 cents!

Last edited:
that mr. emrson wholly ignores the requests of 90% of his customer base who EDC his products in every day situations.

I wouldn't say the populace who complains about his knives' lack of fit and finish is anywhere near 90% of his custom base. In fact if you look at most of his knives that have been released recently (in the last few years) they are in direct response to customer feedback. Most of the Supers were by customer request as were the minis, not to mention the fact that they re-released the Persian.

I wouldn't say the populace who complains about his knives' lack of fit and finish is anywhere near 90% of his custom base. In fact if you look at most of his knives that have been released recently (in the last few years) they are in direct response to customer feedback. Most of the Supers were by customer request as were the minis, not to mention the fact that they re-released the Persian.

We're not talking about EE coming up with knives guys are wanting. That's business 101 = more revenue. What we are talking about is the tons of ill fitted folders he makes and has such a cavalier attitude about like in his OP.

It's too bad for a lot of us that like our knives to "look good" too, cuz I'd like a couple of his folders but I'd be stupid to drop that kind of coin and get a beater. I won't take the chance.

*[edit]*

B.S. aside, Emerson makes a great knife.

Last edited:
While I don't doubt that new models are derived from customer feedback, I know mr. emerson also gets a lot of feedback about F&F (obviously) as well as other suggestions (blade steels, grinds, deep carry etc.) I'll keep buying emerson knives, because I like them, but a CQC 15 in S30V with a deep carry pocket clip and excellent factory F&F would be one hell of a knife, just sayin... and the market is quite competitive these days... Alas that discussion is a whole other can of worms that I don't want to get into.
- You can buy various deep carry titanium clips online. The Wave is much more difficult to use though.

@tokerblue

Thanks man, that would be an easy fix. I'll look into this.

I've owned 4 Emerson knives and sold them all because of poor fit and finish, late lockup, blade play (due to poor lockup) etc. I really badly want to buy a Horseman. I've held off for over a year because of all the poor F&F issues that I have personally experienced and read about.

I agree 100% with STR.

I'm not a peer of Mr. Emerson's. I just think that if you don't accept constructive criticism and use it to make your product better people will stop buying your product.

About the only Emersons I have a care for are his Commanders. They were and still are his "crowning achievement". The rest I don't really want. It would be cool to have an Emerson Commander "Evolution" that uses a newer bladesteel,pivot design and lock interface. G-10 will always be a good choice for hard use but it would be nice to see an evolution in other areas of this knife because it has been an iconic knife for him. Just my opinion.

I think generally people complain too much. Mine has a sticky lock but it doesnt change the way the knife works. Its not hard to close either, so who cares? My cqc15 is probably the sharpest k ive I have ever had out of the box too. Good damn knives.

I am sending a super commander off to Nathawut in Thailand to work his magic on it. It will be worth the wait I think.

I've owned 4 Emerson knives and sold them all because of poor fit and finish, late lockup, blade play (due to poor lockup) etc. I really badly want to buy a Horseman. I've held off for over a year because of all the poor F&F issues that I have personally experienced and read about.

I agree 100% with STR.

I'm not a peer of Mr. Emerson's. I just think that if you don't accept constructive criticism and use it to make your product better people will stop buying your product.

David, I think you should revisit a 2012 Horseman, as I have seen an improvement in the cosmetics. Now, I chose the term 'cosmetics' deliberately, as I believe that the major issues are with regards to the handles, which I can understand. Simply put, the finish on a Spyderco handle is much nicer than a production EKI model. However, the F&F on the blades of Emerson knives are second to nobody, imo.

I collect Emersons and Spyderco knives and have not been disappointed in either, but speaking as a former Armorer in the Canadian Army, I can confidently say that if I was going in 'harm's way', I would have an Emerson knife at my side. I am not invalidating your experiences David, as I respect your opinion, I am just giving you my thoughts on the matter.

The only newer model EKI I own is a 2012 CQC15 and the fit and finish is really good. I have some other EKI knives from 2011, 2008, 2010, 2009, and 2004. There is an improvement in the 2011 and 2012 vs the 2008 and 2009 models.

My 15 is a 2011 and might be why I dont see what the big fuss is about. The liners do have grind lines but Emerson himself has stressed that his knives are ment to be used at tools and not pretty collector knives.

fwiw, I do believe EKI has stepped up. The quality on the more recent production knives has improved.

The part on the newer knives that I noticed first, was that the previously water/laser cut tang is now finished.

After reading through this thread, I took a very careful look at my new 7 and can find nothing wrong with fit, finish or anything for that matter. Although I am relatively new to the in-depth world of folding knives, I did know what I was getting into with an Emerson. Basically, I viewed the Emerson as a working knife, not a drawer princess. I would say a Jeep or a Hummer, not a Cadillac or a Lincoln. Therefore, my last two Emersons, (7 and 8) have been completely satisfactory and just what I had expected.
Perhaps there were some F & F issues in the past, and in all fairness, I have never handled any old ones so I am just speaking of what I know which is, my 7 and 8 are great.
Cheers

...Basically, I viewed the Emerson as a working knife, not a drawer princess. I would say a Jeep or a Hummer, not a Cadillac or a Lincoln...

A great comparison, Mac. That nicely explains my sentiments as well.

Back