• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Five, 6" Kitchen Utility Vegetable Knives SOLD

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
6" Vegetable Knife $150. There are five available in this sale. You will receive a different knife than the one in the picture.

This batch is not quite finished yet, I'm still putting the final touches on them. These will ship next Wednesday. There will not be another sale of these next week.

Please read the description and understand this knife before buying one. It is not a general purpose knife for everyone.

This is an affordable, no frills, single bevel vegetable knife pattern designed for food release on sticky foods like potatoes and carrots etc. It is intended to leave a neat manageable stack of food. It can also be used to slice fish and other delicate foods that need an extremely sharp fine edge.

The "grind" is scalloped and is a tall thin parabola that is a conventional flat grind at the bottom that develops increasing curvature as it approaches the top of the grind. This kicks food off and reduces the adhesion that causes slices of food to march up and go over the top of the blade. See video. This is a single bevel hollow ground kitchen knife whose geometry is similar to a one sided straight razor. The geometry is more extreme at the heel of the blade where you'll do most of your chopping and more conventional towards the tip for regular slicing with the point.

The final edge is applied by hand on oil stones. Being single bevel, the flat side is honed flat, or nearly flat, to the stone. I had to choose between keeping these pretty and getting them sharp and I chose to get them sharp. So these are new knives and the flat side bevel will have some minor scuffs from sharpening.

It is for right handed use. If you're left handed you will be better served with something else.

The steel is AEB-L at HRC 61-62. This is a clean, fine grained, stainless steel with a relatively low chromium content and no carbide so it behaves very much like a simple carbon steel. These went into full cryo as part of the quench which, in this steel, eliminates structures that cause issues with fine edge stability in stainless.

The edge is thin enough to be flexed on your thumb nail. It should not be used on bone or against glass or ceramic cutting boards.

The handle is two part construction hidden tang. In addition to the visible cutlery rivets there are internal "epoxy rivets" and a hidden metal pin. The blade/ferrule/handle transition is sealed with Acraglas resin. The ferrule is internally knurled and bonded to the G10 scales, it will not come loose over time.

There is no maker's mark. I normally mill my signature into the blade, but I left it off for food hygiene because it's relatively deep.

The knife is made of NSF 61 compliant materials and is suitable for use in a commercial kitchen. And though I don't recommend it, the materials and construction will survive a trip though the dishwasher.

The knife balances on the ferrule.

Vegetable Knife specs:
1/8" AEB-L tested HRC 61-62
Total length 11"
Blade length 6"
Weight 6.7 oz
G10 handle
304 stainless ferrule

1.jpg~original

2.jpg~original

3.jpg~original

4.jpg~original

5.jpg~original

6.jpg~original

7.jpg~original

Video showing the difference between a conventional kitchen knife and a knife with this parabolic grind: [video=youtube;jJQD3_APGTc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJQD3_APGTc[/video]

These are “field grade”, “as machined” and stonewashed with a medium grit grind applied to the left side and a semi-polished edge. They are $150 plus $5 shipping in the USA.

These knives are unusual because they are machined. I do this in my shop on industrial CNC machine tools. A WIP thread documenting my technique can be found here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ad.php/1048443

I take paypal, cash, check or MO.

First come, first serve, posts in this thread

Thanks for looking,
Nathan

Last edited:
I'll take the last one. My wife's a great cook and she deserves it! :)

This is getting humorous... I was checking at about 11:15.. missed the chopper and missed these AGAIN.. what is this, 3rd time now.. ugh.. hope to catch em next Friday..

Congrats to those that scored! Jerks. :D

Congrates to all those that scored one of these, they are great in the kitchen.

This is getting humorous... I was checking at about 11:15.. missed the chopper and missed these AGAIN.. what is this, 3rd time now.. ugh.. hope to catch em next Friday..

Congrats to those that scored! Jerks. :D
If it's any consolation, mine will be coming to a very good home. My wife is a fantastic cook. She's just got a knack for it. For years, I've looked at her kitchen knives and hung my head in shame. After all, here I have this fabulous collection of sporting knives and she's cutting with plastic-handled $10 Chinese Henckels she found in a bucket on top of the counter at my local B&M knife store. Not that there's anything wrong with plastic-handled $10 Chinese Henckels, mind you. They cut just fine, sharpen easily, and she's comfortable using them. But elegant they are not. I've thought about getting her better knives but I just haven't gotten around to it. Well enough is enough. It's time for me to step up my game and who better to step it up with than Nathan?

Understand that my wife has over 35 years experience in the tabletop industry. She didn't spend any of that time in the cutlery sector (although she did interview for Henckels at one point), but she knows quality when she sees it. I showed her this thread and the video Nathan posted and the word she used to describe her anticipation in receiving this knife was "excited". I'm excited too. :)

Last edited:
If it's any consolation, mine will be coming to a very good home. My wife is a fantastic cook. She's just got a knack for it. For years, I've looked at her kitchen knives and hung my head in shame. After all, here I have this fabulous collection of sporting knives and she's cutting with plastic-handled $10 Chinese Henckels she found in a bucket on top of the counter at my local B&M knife store. Not that there's anything wrong with plastic-handled $10 Chinese Henckels, mind you. They cut just fine, sharpen easily, and she's comfortable using them. But elegant they are not. I've thought about getting her better knives but I just haven't gotten around to it. Well enough is enough. It's time for me to step up my game and who better to step it up with than Nathan?

Understand that my wife has over 35 years experience in the tabletop industry. She didn't spend any of that time in the cutlery sector (although she did interview for Henckels at one point), but she knows quality when she sees it. I showed her this thread and the video Nathan posted and the word she used to describe her anticipation in receiving this knife was "excited". I'm excited too. :)

The quality is fantastic, only out done with the engineering and execution.

Things stay where you cut them:

Y6NXADuh.jpg

I'm planning on making matters worse for everyone except Nathan (then again who wants to make the same thing every single day). I will be loaning mine to my buddy who's one of the lead chefs at Takashii Salt Lake and then I'm going to have him write up a review. Unfortunately, the knife's presence at an ultra knife centric establishment and outstanding craftsmanship will undoubtedly raise demand even further. Insert evil laugh here...Kanpai!

The quality is fantastic, only out done with the engineering and execution.

Things stay where you cut them:

Y6NXADuh.jpg

Thanks, craytab. Unless I miss my guess, that knife will see more use than all the rest of my knives combined! I can't wait for my wife to get her hands on it. We went out and bought a new cutting board today in honor of its impending arrival.

I love my Nathan The Machinist Slicer knife. Started out slicing veges because Nathan calls it a "Vegetable Slicer", but soon found it cuts meat, raw or cooked very well. This week i had a loaf of unsliced bread from last week. It had turned to cement. Nathan's slicer is the only knife to cut it. The blade is rigid so it doesn't veer off.
It is now "Head Kitchen Knife".
kj

I'm planning on making matters worse for everyone except Nathan (then again who wants to make the same thing every single day). I will be loaning mine to my buddy who's one of the lead chefs at Takashii Salt Lake and then I'm going to have him write up a review. Unfortunately, the knife's presence at an ultra knife centric establishment and outstanding craftsmanship will undoubtedly raise demand even further. Insert evil laugh here...Kanpai!

Hey I appreciate that, thanks :thumbup:

You're right, it can get tedious if you make the same thing over and over too many times. I will continue to make this pattern for a little while, but I plan to discontinue it after about 90 of them. We're about half way though them now.

Back