Recommendation? Fixed blade EDC knives reccomendations?

The Mini Hunter is about as compact as it gets for me and still be a serious user . Think paring knife size , only slightly thicker blade .

The handle fits my medium sized hands and allows a full grip .

Mine is just the VG-1 steel , which I believe to be more than adequate for the short blade . Plus it's stainless and much cheaper than 3V .

The Mini Hunter is about as compact as it gets for me and still be a serious user . Think paring knife size , only slightly thicker blade .

The handle fits my medium sized hands and allows a full grip .

Mine is just the VG-1 steel , which I believe to be more than adequate for the short blade . Plus it's stainless and much cheaper than 3V .
I did some stupid stuff with Drop Forged Hunter before I lost it, so 3V seems like a better option since VG-1 is much more likley to chip or break for that matter.

I will either go with PMIII so I don't care even if I break it because it's cheap, or 3V Mini Pendleton Hunter since it's less likley I'll break it at a first place.

I did some stupid stuff with Drop Forged Hunter before I lost it, so 3V seems like a better option since VG-1 is much more likley to chip or break for that matter.

I will either go with PMIII so I don't care even if I break it because it's cheap, or 3V Mini Pendleton Hunter since it's less likley I'll break it at a first place.
;) I got nothing against 3V except the cost . And Cold Steel is the best bargain for anything 3V , IMO .

My use for the Mini Hunter just doesn't justify the cost differential . But yours might , so go for it ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

;) I got nothing against 3V except the cost . And Cold Steel is the best bargain for anything 3V , IMO .

My use for the Mini Hunter just doesn't justify the cost differential . But yours might , so go for it ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Not sure if it's still the case but last year when I got the Pendleton hunter the cost difference was something like $30 new. Maybe it was a closeout for an old edition but I was really surprised to get 3V for around $75. I've found 2 well-known knife websites with the mini listed for $70 or less, one is GPKnives who is a supporting dealer.

https://www.gpknives.com/cold-steel-3v-pendelton-hunter-fixed-knife-36lpcm.html

Lionsteel m4 for fixed blade small EDC or Bugout/manix for folder. Maybe a spydie salt series if you keep jumping in lakes ;) sorry to hear about your loss bro

I have a Lionsteel M4 with the Walnut scales and have been unimpressed. In my opinion the scales are unattractive (they look like cheap plastic to me) and excessively (perhaps dangerously) smooth. Worse, the M390 "Supersteel" was dulled after the first ten minutes of casual use. It was astonishing how fast it dulled actually. The sheath is very nice, so I guess it has that going for it. I would give it one star.

Perhaps I just got a defective knife, but that was Lionsteel's one and only chance with me.

Not sure if it's still the case but last year when I got the Pendleton hunter the cost difference was something like $30 new. Maybe it was a closeout for an old edition but I was really surprised to get 3V for around $75. I've found 2 well-known knife websites with the mini listed for $70 or less, one is GPKnives who is a supporting dealer.

https://www.gpknives.com/cold-steel-3v-pendelton-hunter-fixed-knife-36lpcm.html
I don't know the current prices , but I paid ~$25 on a special sale for mine(Mini Hunter) early this year and at the time the 3V was better than twice that , IIRC .

Still a good deal for 3V ,if needed . :cool:

Last edited:
I don't know the current prices , but I paid ~$25 on a special sale for mine(Mini Hunter) early this year and at the time the 3V was better than twice that , IIRC .

This is less than $100 with shipping for me :D
I'll most likley get this, thank you for this my friend :D

I have a Lionsteel M4 with the Walnut scales and have been unimpressed. In my opinion the scales are unattractive (they look like cheap plastic to me) and excessively (perhaps dangerously) smooth. Worse, the M390 "Supersteel" was dulled after the first ten minutes of casual use. It was astonishing how fast it dulled actually. The sheath is very nice, so I guess it has that going for it. I would give it one star.

Perhaps I just got a defective knife, but that was Lionsteel's one and only chance with me.
Ah that's a shame, I have the green micarta scales which look like normal green micarta so can't comment on those. I'm with you also that the heat treat on the m390 wasn't 100 percent but it still out cuts my s30v equivalent and I got for £100 which you can't say for 99 percent of m390 fixed blades. Its a greta shaped lil fixed blade in a convinient size with an amazing sheath and my edge lasts all day just not as long as custom heat treated m390 but this is the same with most t steels for production knives imo

That's a killer deal for the VG-1 then too. I was thinking they were in the $40's on special. Cold steel certainly has good values on their products.

if your carrying for self-defense, you want to carry the biggest that you can carry comfortably and discreetly. 5 to 6'' is adequate. if you are ever unfortunately attacked you will know why.

if your carrying for self-defense, you want to carry the biggest that you can carry comfortably and discreetly. 5 to 6'' is adequate. if you are ever unfortunately attacked you will know why.
Well 5" isn't gona be that discreet or comfortable either way.
Another Drop Forged Hunter would be option for self defense. But it's rather heawy.
Then at other hand PMIII would be an excellent choice with it's sheath, light weight and fair size.

But since I was in self defense situations without a knife or any weapon and I'm still here - I think that knife isn't a best self defense tool.

And I'm also trained to fight with bare hands. So it's questionable how much benefit would a knife provide me. And at other hand - having large knife on me could cause me trouble with law or at least make people freak out.

If you want something for self defense - pepper spray should be your first choice.

If you stab someone with a Mini Pendleton Hunter it'll look better for you on court than if you used SRK or Recon Tanto for example. Because they will bring your weapon to the judge. Even if you are innocent they will accuse you that you had intentions to kill your attacker.
Your weapon of choice could also be the factor that determines will they let you walk out as a free man or land you in prison.
You might want to watch a few videos of this knife to make sure it is not TOO small for what you need . Nice knife , but pretty small ! ;)
I did watch videos and I like the fact that handle is fairly sized and comfortable, yet knife itself is easy to conceal and carry.
Boker GoBag is similar size and it was OK.

And Mini Pendleton Hunter won't attract weird looks or shock people either. Which is also good.

If you stab someone with a Mini Pendleton Hunter it'll look better for you on court than if you used SRK or Recon Tanto for example. Because they will bring your weapon to the judge. Even if you are innocent they will accuse you that you had intentions to kill your attacker.
Your weapon of choice could also be the factor that determines will they let you walk out as a free man or land you in prison.

Do you have any first hand knowledge of this? OP said the same thing about certain guns and their modifications and it was thoroughly debunked by actual court cases. It seemed logical but the circumstances were the deciding factor. Now what comes out of your mouth is a different thing altogether, gotta watch what you say closely.
I carry push knives, Magnum IX's etc. legally of course(for decades, why have them otherwise)and I just make sure I have the right mind set when I do.

Last edited:
Back