Fixed Blade to keep in my car trunk

Cold steel SRK in VG1 is a good stainless option.
Also I just ordered(well, it already shipped out) a Elmax blade from Gollik knives. Good custom knife maker, and amazing prices. I got a 5.5 inch blade with finger choil, and a pry tool on the end. Nice Kydex sheath included, all for under 200 including shipping. Worth checking out. The smaller one is going to be an EDC.
4lBd5TG.jpg

Some Things to consider about prolonged knife storage in a car.
Humidity which may cause condensation of moisture within a knife sheath.
And constant exposure to extremely High temperatures
could ruin the blade temper.
Not forgetting Extremes in temperature Might adversely affect
the stability of some synthetic materials.
Stored knives should be inspected periodically
as with any bug out bag material.
In some places driving around with cutlery
Might be not go down well during a pull over...
So all things considered, it's not a bad idea
To have an edge tool stored away for a "emergencies".
Something with the primary intention for chopping
And prying ... Hopefully something never to be used :)
Consider the Becker TacTool
http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=2014

Last edited:
Some Things to consider about prolonged knife storage in a car.
Humidity which may cause condensation of moisture within a knife sheath.
Stored knives should be inspected periodically
as with any bug out bag material.
In some places driving around with cutlery
Might be not go down well during a pull over...
So all things considered, it's not a bad idea
To have an edge tool stored away for a "emergencies".
Something with the primary intention for chopping
And prying ... Hopefully something never to be used :)
Consider the Becker TacTool
http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=2014

Thanks for the advice. The temperatures here won't be extremely high, it will just be extremely humid. I think I will have two blades, and they will be the SOG Pillar and the Buck Selkirk. Those two should cover all my bases, along with a small axe, crowbar, shovel and some other tools I will keep in the back.

I like the Buck Selkik. It's a real nice knife. I think you've made some good choices for the purpose you intend without spending a lot of money. I only carry a shovel in my vehicle during the winter, or when I hit the woods (in case I get stuck). I also keep a tow strap in the vehicle and it has come in handy a time or two, especially helping other people. The pry bar is a good addition. I used to carry a small one all the time and once used it to pry the alternator over to tighten a belt after a replacement. I don't carry one in my regular vehicle now but I do in my work vehicle and they get used (small to large).

A set of jumper cables is a good addition too.... even a cheap pair is better than nothing or depending on someone else.

Blade temper ? no problem ! You'd have to get up near 400F for that. The polyethylene plastics will start to melt above 250 F !!
My knife tool in my truck is a BK 7 .Basic use has been cutting brush. Coating of RIG or wrapping in rust inhibiting paper will protect the edge . Also something to sharpen it with. Glock shovel, heavy rope ,folding saw. duct tape .

Even if you left the knife in the car in the hottest parts of the US in broad daylight during summer, i can't imagine it getting hot enough to do anything to synthetic materials in a knife, nor the temper of the steel.
Inside of a car could get to 150-160ish on triple digit days with blazing sun. I'd love for someone who knows more about knives than I do to chime in, but I can't imagine 160F screwing with temper/hardening of the blade, could it?

19-3ben , for one measured temp -- air temp 70 F, white car trunk , in full sun, ---inside trunk ? 150 F . That's why - don't leave your kids in the car !!! :mad:

I would look into Mora and Manly. Mora companion is really inexpressive and durable, Manly Patriot with CPM154 or S90V is quite affordable and reliable, and both steels are not prone to rust.

I love the suggestions for Mora. I got the feeling it didn't check off enough of the OP's boxes, so I didn't suggest it initially, but it is a great option. I keep one in my glove box, and one in the breakdown bag in the car.
Wife has one in her car as well. We each have them in our hiking bags and bug out bags. I keep one with the rest of my cary rotation because i carry it even on short jaunts in the woods.
An HD stays in the kitchen because I love using it on tough tasks like breaking down a chicken (the thick tough blade does a great job poking into joints to facilitate breaking down).

Between us, we have about 11 or 12 Moras sprinkled around (about half are stainless companion, a few are carbon companion, a few HD and one Bushcraft black).

I've carried a Buck 119 in my car for years. They're big, 6" blade, cheap around $50 or $60, durable you can beat the heck out of the them because they hold up well to abuse (I know because this is my 3rd one and by the way the pommel makes a decent emergency hammer), the 420HC steel with Bucks legendary heat treat is more than adequate for a beater, you can literally sharpen them on a rock you pick up off the ground and if you lose or break it no big deal. By the way what's a thread without a few pics. Just my two cents good luck in picking out a car knife.

bVgxXzw.jpg
I once saw a 119 washing around in the bilge of a saltwater fishing boat on the West Coast with no discernible damage.

Regarding rust, I have had a regular 7inch Kabar USMC with a rubber handle and kydex sheath in my car going on ten years, all year round in all weather through three cars, one of which leaked badly and have not had it rust up on me yet. Unless you make a habit of driving into ponds, don't worry about it.

To keep in the car trunk must be something not that expensive and tough like nails, to do whatever needs to be done, so my vote goes to my favorite “affordable” brute: ESEE 5!

Regarding rust, I have had a regular 7inch Kabar USMC with a rubber handle and kydex sheath in my car going on ten years, all year round in all weather through three cars, one of which leaked badly and have not had it rust up on me yet. Unless you make a habit of driving into ponds, don't worry about it.

Do you think the leather handles will hold up?

Add Marbles Machete and you set.
The edges on mine are always rusting, but that comes off with sharpening and the orange coating is tough as nails.

However if carbon steel is an absolute no-no then I'd not get a machete, because to me machetes = carbon steel.

Back