1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Fixed fighter--------suggestions???

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by nedflow, Jan 2, 2017.

1. nedflow

nedflow

Jan 24, 2014
    Greetings,
    Hope all is well.

Moving away from folders for a little and contemplating a fixed blade fighter for my next purchase. Open to any and all suggestions.
    Thanks!

2. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000
    Price range?

3. nedflow

nedflow

Jan 24, 2014
    500 and under if possible. If it's a little more that's fine too.

4. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000
    You should get a Randall model 14.

5. Polynikes01

Polynikes01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2016
    I like the Spartan Harsey model 2 if you can find one...
    Any specific blade length?

6. Gideons

Gideons Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 9, 2015
    CRK Green Beret

7. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Keep an eye on the knifemakers forum I've seen some nice fighting type knives over there for sale once in a while.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  8. Charlie Mike

Nov 1, 2000
    Or I can build you a nasty chisel ground bowie...

[​IMG]

9. armytxn

armytxn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Does the area you live in have any restrictions as far as blade length? If not then do you have a preference as far as size or how you will carry the knife? Things to consider because a foot long Bowie is harder to carry than a neck knife. I would start of cheap: you mention a price range of $500. You could easily get several cheap knives of different styles and sizes for under $100. Try carrying them in different positions (vertical, horizontal, neck, pocket, etc.), heck you could even carry one in your boot if you wear them. As far as a fighting knife, I am not sure of your knife fighting skills but any style knife is a fighter in a trained hand but yet a dedicated fighting knife in an untrained hand is a sure way to cut yourself.
    I would look for a good all purpose knife that is midsize. The ESEE 3 is a good example.

10. ^This

11. nedflow

nedflow

Jan 24, 2014
    I was looking at some of the Spartan blades. I don't see too many people conversing about Spartan blades on BF. Are people not into them here? No specific blade length, open to any ideas/recommendations.

12. nedflow

nedflow

Jan 24, 2014
    Very nice!

13. Chris Larrikin

Chris Larrikin Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 19, 2012
    I think you should spend some time looking at the custom fixed blades section of the Exchange. There are some very talented knife makers who are members here. By going custom you will also often find different steels, higher hardness and more ambitious grinds.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  14. Polynikes01

Polynikes01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2016
    I'm new to the forum, so I don't know if there's been any negative talk about Spartan in the past... all the YouTube reviews I've watched about them have been positive though.

15. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    I think it depends on what type of fixed fighter you are looking for. Like for me since I am in a city where you can't practically carry a large fixed blade not concealed my ideal fighter would be a clinch pick or Spyderco reverse. I also love the Street Beat or for something abit bigger the street bowie. I love the little fixed la griffe type knives as well.

Now if we are talking a big honking fixed blade fighter in my opinion nothing beats a Bagwell type or style Bowie. Particularly with one of the sheaths set up to carry IWB with its stud that hangs on your belt worn for the recommended "cab draw" Here is a video demonstrating this cab draw and the fighter type and sheath system I am talking about.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3kXp5zGqwmw

16. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I say try some less expensive things first as it is your first foray into fixed blade fighters. I would check out Kabar's version of the EK commando knives, the fighter and the Bowie.

17. nedflow

nedflow

Jan 24, 2014
    Already have cheaper versions. Looking to add something with some value to the collection.

18. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    Get one of those comtech bowies with the panther concealment system. You'll be winning bar brawls songle handedly with that one.

19. scottyj

scottyj

Jan 29, 2009
    This. Carbon blade is $410 plus you get an awesome sheath.

20. ron finkbeiner jr

ron finkbeiner jr

Jan 6, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Dozier Knives KM-1 Ranger
    $395.00
    Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk