... for cutting only limes

bigsurbob

Gold Member
Hello Bladefolk!

Which steel quality (edge retention, toughness or corrosion resistance) would be challenged most by the exclusive cutting of limes?

The variable that I haven't seen discussed much is the cutting and subsequent wear from something so acidic. Or does all that acidity even change matters steel-wear-wise?

Asked another way... would I want this knife to have: great edge retention like S110V, toughness like 3V or corrosion resistance like H1? Epic combination of all? (If this were a pie chart, I imagine 'toughness' would have the small piece??)

I guess, assuming "all else equal" like blade geometry, etc.

What I'm getting at is, what steel is my ideal lime knife made of?!

Thanks for considering!
bob

of course, corrosion ... but if you're really just using it for lime, whynot go ceramic? never will corrode & should never need sharpening

eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL2t5b2NlcmEvaW1hZ2VzL0tDRkswNzVXSGEuanBnIiwiZWRpdHMiOiB7InJlc2l6ZSI6IHsid2lkdGgiOiA1NDUsImhlaWdodCI6IDQxNSwiZml0IjogImNvbnRhaW4iLCJiYWNrZ3JvdW5kIjogeyJyIjogMjU1LCJnIjogMjU1LCJiIjogMjU1LCJhbHBoYSI6IDF9fX19

I always recommend Dexter Russel sanisafe knives for kitchen/food use especially in a commercial setting.

duckchildress and nighthaxan both make/made lime cutters. Just looked at nighthaxan, he hasn't been on BF since April 2019.

If you wash the blade after use, not sure the steel really matters. If you want a custom lime cutter, feel free to choose one that fits your budget.

Heavily edited after I re-read the OP.

great edge retention like S110V, toughness like 3V or corrosion resistance like H1?

The combination you're looking for doesn't exist. Pick which of those three you need the most.
  • Most corrosion resistant: LC200N or Vanax. Ok toughness and edge retention.
  • Best edge retention: S110V. Ok corrosion resistance but not great toughness.
  • Best toughness: AEB-L. Good corrosion resistance and decent edge retention.
Best balance all the way around? Probably 20CV/M390/204P.

Last edited:
Any good quality blade with a thin blade geometry would murder limes with ease. Keep it cleaned and dried after each use, and a good carbon steel will develop a nice patina from the lime juice, however don't do that and you will have problems...
Any quality stainless like 14c27n, Aeb-L, n690, vg10, cts-xhp, ELMAX, all the way up to m390 or cpm110v if you want better edge retention will work fine.

As a user of carbon steel kitchen knives I would suggest stainless for lime specific duties. As lime juice accumulates on the carbon steel while batch processing limes the juice takes on a dark hue which can be transferred to subsequent limes ruining the presentation.

Back