... for cutting only limes

Yeah yeah yeah, I said only limes. Maybe 90% limes.20210506_111026.jpg

After more thought on the issue and more usage after quite the hiatus, I've concluded that this is almost the perfect lime knife....Here's samuraistuart samuraistuart 's post about it..

***This is the 2nd one of these light, thin knives I've made from the ESR A-2. This baby has a cool piece of Bolivian Rosewood for a handle, and I enjoyed working with it. 1/16" at the spine, and 0.005" prior to sharpening, extremely thin and light. You'd forget your holding it in your hand! Thanks for looking!***

Thin, hard (it's 64HRC) and sharp as hell, it goes through seeds as needed. (I used to use the 11" Wusthof double serrated bread knife for citrus. I cut a dime sized disc 80% off my thumbprint way back in the day when a serration picked up a seed and caused the edge to slide on the next hurried cut.) So slicing through seeds is a must! I love the slight snubnose/drop point/reverse tanto-ish tip. It provides plenty of power behind the tip for that partial cut that allows it to hang on the edge of a glass.20210506_131712.jpg 20210506_125412.jpg

I'm pretty good about wiping it down after each use, so maybe the slightly corrosive properties of the A2 won't be exactly a problem. I do love a patina from use. All I've ever done to maintain the original edge is a few swipes on a diamond steel here and there, and it's stayed super sharp.

I think if I were to commission another one, it'd be the same profile, but like 3/4 inch longer (for oranges and lemons) and maybe made from LC200N.

This knife excels in fast, sure cuts due to the thin geometry and the super light overall weight. It's so sharp, it's not a knife that benefits from having some weight behind it. Even wet with citrus juice, the ergonomics of the handle provide a solid, slip-free purchase.

I have a lot of knives, but this gets 100 times the use of all the others combined.

For the umpteenth time, thank you Samuraistuart for such a well thought out and useful knife!

Back