Forum Knife Updates and comments

I've not checked in on this thread in a good while, actually since knives started showing up in mailboxes. A quick glance tells me many of you had the same problem that I had. One of two that I received has a lazy sheepsfoot blade. No closing snap whatsoever. I'm fairly confident Buck can make it better but have yet to bother with sending it back.

I had to do a thorough cleaning with dishwashing liquid, then rinsed with WD-40, and then oiled the joints. A half hour was spent cycling the blade and lightly twisting it in the joint. After the half hour was up, the action was just as good as the clip blade. Maybe better.

I had my Buck blades reground by @Jason B. they're now serious slicers at around 0.015" (by my request) behind the edge. Good prices. Perhaps shoot him a message and ask for a quote? Your knife looks too good not to carry.

That's good to know. Did the spine thickness end up changing also, or did the taper from spine to edge only change?

I had to do a thorough cleaning with dishwashing liquid, then rinsed with WD-40, and then oiled the joints. A half hour was spent cycling the blade and lightly twisting it in the joint. After the half hour was up, the action was just as good as the clip blade. Maybe better.
Guess I'll try the same. It seems like many of the knives had the same issue.

I'll just say this Buzz and maybe you'll think I'm nuts but the frame of the knife we picked for the 2017 BF Annual Knife is a large frame. You talk of what you think may be a thick blade behind the edge but if you look down at the knife into the well with the blades closed, a really thin blade would look like it's drowning in the well. The thicker blade fills up the well so to speak. Being a large frame, the knife calls for a heavy blade and is meant to have one as it is a large working knife.

Anyway, that's my take on the blade thickness. You're right about the covers. They are really very nice.

I've never heard of a pocket knife being purposefully ground to a very thick taper, for the sole reason of "filling up" the bottom of a blade well.

And Buck designed this knife for blades that taper down from the spine to a thickness of .020" to .025" behind the edge. That's directly from Buck. If you buy one of their normal production models, that's what you get.

Nice knife BUZZ..:thumbsup: Glad BUCK did their magic!! As far as a thick blade goes.. I guess to each to their own..;) Not an issue to me but I aint you!!:D Still a winner in my house!!:thumbsup:
John

I think it's very good that people tell it how it is about their knives, good and bad, this is really the utility of any credible Forum.

I've always been against groupthink, people who demand only positives even in the face of contrary evidence. Furthermore, I've seen where this can lead on other forums: clique like atmosphere akin to a sect, where there's a couple of Big Guns who get fawned over by 'satellites' anybody having the temerity to have different attitudes or experiences get's met with a sneering hostile response. Ultimately, situations become one issue, inward looking they wither and die due to narrowness. A servile, 'grateful' kind of mentality that says we are lucky to have what we've got so stop making any critical noises or we won't have any knives at all in the future! Yeah, exactly :rolleyes::poop:

I note from Buzzbait Buzzbait a very fair review and from an extremely long-standing member-which adds to the gravitas of it :thumbsup: The Elk slabs look very good, not the better of mine I dare to say ;), but I appreciate your impartial analysis. My Forum Knife 2018 pleased me in just about every way I could think except that it took an age to get here to Europe:( That's how things can be, especially around Christmas. There are some slight gaps in the back springs, rarer in GEC or Case knives, but I get the luxury of stainless liners and springs, no corrosive brass or steel;) After a wash and brush up the knife displayed excellent W&T. Moderate pull, yet not weak, in keeping with an opposite end cam tang knife, but definite audible snap when allowed back to shut:cool: No play of any kind. I can't comment on the thickness, I have no micrometers, but it fulfils my cutting expectations: it will cut through a big Orange or Apple with ease, slice hard cheese very well, slice Chorizo/ salami very thin, shave arm hair, make fire sticks, cut paper cleanly after a session on diamond stone plus strop. It retains an edge far better than any GEC or CASE knife, so that too more than satisfies me.

I keep it on a wine rack near the hall, it looks very good as an ornament but I frequently pick up this knife as I'm heading out of the door and use it. Whose experiences of this knife are more valid, mine or those who got unsatisfactory examples? They're equal and that's why we need to hear all sorts of opinions and all manner of reviews which reflect our own experiences:thumbsup: It's exactly how it should be.

This year's Forum Knife will be sabre ground, the least favourite grind I can think of;) But if it's good and works well, I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong and be happy about it. But if it's not up to snuff...you'll hear :D

Thanks, Will

It could be the same thickness at the spine it just needs to be thinner right behind the edge. That would not change the way it looks from the top.

True to some extent but if you thin it just behind the edge without thinning it at the spine it willbegin to take on the image of a saber ground blade depending on how much it's thined.

Anyway, my main point is that the particular frame selected is meant to be a heavy working knife; therefore, the blade grind is going to be a thicker grind than say a medium size frame's would be.

I've never heard of a pocket knife being purposefully ground to a very thick taper, for the sole reason of "filling up" the bottom of a blade well.

And Buck designed this knife for blades that taper down from the spine to a thickness of .020" to .025" behind the edge. That's directly from Buck. If you buy one of their normal production models, that's what you get.

I think you misread what I said Buzz. Anyway, no need to argue. You got a very nice knife back from Buck.

I had my Buck blades reground by @Jason B. they're now serious slicers at around 0.015" (by my request) behind the edge. Good prices. Perhaps shoot him a message and ask for a quote? Your knife looks too good not to carry.

I have convexed both of my blades and I can live with them but would love to see pics of your reground blades!

my pair arrived back from Buck today......

i am happy with Buck's warranty service and the two knives I received are very high quality. The Case stockman in photo is for size comparison, but the Case has been kicked from my pocket, now to decide which Buck 301 forum knife to carry.....

0DA30ADC-BB56-4EC1-97D8-185EB9CEF0B8.jpeg 68464BD6-300B-4BF5-A925-FB2E710F88D9.jpeg 62F8614D-DEFD-444D-BBBD-1A9127640C53.jpeg 8197BC39-7BE1-4828-A1AC-4E3A747DC52F.jpeg

my pair arrived back from Buck today......

i am happy with Buck's warranty service and the two knives I received are very high quality. The Case stockman in photo is for size comparison, but the Case has been kicked from my pocket, now to decide which Buck 301 forum knife to carry.....

View attachment 1095042 View attachment 1095043 View attachment 1095044 View attachment 1095045
The elk is really nice on both of those. Congrats on finally getting those back in hand!

In my opinion, Buck's spokesperson got confused and misspoke. Buck's normal blades are indeed 0.020 thick behind the edge. But they are super hollow ground, Buck's Edge 2000. These are flat ground. If you measure one of the flat ground blades made by Buck in the 90's, the thickness behind the edge is ~0.035, or about what these are.

Got my 2018 Forum knife back from Buck warranty service today. How did they do?
1) Sheepsfoot blade rubbing against the liner when closed. Not fixed.
2) Gaps between tangs and adjacent springs, when closed. Fixed.
3) Gaps between springs and liners. Not fixed.
4) Grossly mismatched covers. Fixed, and I would say better than average looking covers now.

Two out of four. Kudos to Buck for fixing some of the problems. I think I will enjoy this knife as a user. I especially like the short sheepsfoot.

Back