Forum Knife Updates and comments

I got my knife back from Buck today. It was a long wait, but I have to say I'm very pleased with the results. I'm super happy with the new covers... both sides are very well matched size and color wise, with one being slightly more textured, but both very nice. The blades both open and close solidly, and pull is nice on both. Gaps in the backspring are almost negligible, transitions from elk to bolsters are smooth, the whole thing feels and looks solidly put together.

Big thanks to Jeff (@J Hubbard) and Buck for fixing this up! I'm very happy to get this back!

Buck-clip1.jpg

Buck-sheep1.jpg

I'm happy with this grind and the thickness behind the edge. Makes a small knife tackle big jobs. I reach for this knife pretty much every day.
I agree, it is a great working knife but also looks like a show piece.

Bear & Son uses the * asterisk symbol, Case has used a combination of the dot and x for the last 18 years, Buck uses a different symbol every year - Blade Forum could come up with something different - lots of symbols - maybe the dollar sign due to our love of expensive pocketknives $$$$$$$$$$ for 2020! OH
Question: Do u have any idea what the symbol O with a above it and a 76 to right of that stamped in blade of knife identify it as? No marking on handle but believe it to be a Case. Quality made

Question: Do u have any idea what the symbol O with a above it and a 76 to right of that stamped in blade of knife identify it as? No marking on handle but believe it to be a Case. Quality made
Is it a "Q" , rather than an O? That would be Queen Cutlery. A picture would help.

Also, you're off topic for this thread. You can ask a mod to move it to where you may get better answers.

In my opinion, Buck's spokesperson got confused and misspoke. Buck's normal blades are indeed 0.020 thick behind the edge. But they are super hollow ground, Buck's Edge 2000. These are flat ground. If you measure one of the flat ground blades made by Buck in the 90's, the thickness behind the edge is ~0.035, or about what these are.

I fixed mine. I got that belt sander in and went to town. It's not professional quality, but it's decent unless you're really picky. Besides, this thing became a user the second I sharpened it. Now it's 0.010" BTE with a 10dps back bevel and a 15dps micro bevel. It cuts real nice now.

I fixed mine. I got that belt sander in and went to town. It's not professional quality, but it's decent unless you're really picky. Besides, this thing became a user the second I sharpened it. Now it's 0.010" BTE with a 10dps back bevel and a 15dps micro bevel. It cuts real nice now.
Sounds good! Let's see some pics!:thumbsup:

I use postimage
I tried the copy and paste that worked before, but failed. Do I now need to use a hosting service? Is it because I let my membership lapse?

I think you need membership to post piccies.

Thanks, guys. Let's try this ...
P99g9yw

edit to add ... or this: https://imgur.com/a/P99g9yw
That works, but I had to click on a link. You may be able to post pictures so they appear as pictures and not links if you keep messing with the app. The app has access to my photos and I upload the ones I want to post. I upload as "hidden" instead of "public". On my phone, I touch the picture I want to post and some icons appear. I click on "copy post link" and enter that into the picture icon on BF. Then "insert". Hopefully that is understandable.

Like a scalpel with those specs!

Last edited:
Got my knife back from warranty a couple weeks ago. Sent in a knife with nice covers and construction issues, and received a knife with nice construction and cover issues...

Has not seen a lick of pocket time and half tempted to move this along and look toward new opportunities, like the 2019 GEC forum knife.

To be fair, the only issue is the mismatched covers. Otherwise perfectly fine knife. I was hoping for one with remotely matching covers. I am a very sensitive to symmetry :rolleyes:. I was very understanding when having to send the first knife back for work; however I quite liked the original knife covers, so when I got the new knife back, the mismatching was an unpleasant surprise.

I understand natural covers some with variance, and I understand not everyone can get exhibition grade stag. But I just wish I could have my old knife back with some gaps and nice covers rather than the new one. I apologize for the complain post.

91Mdxxu.jpg

b0j7Har.jpg

Got my knife back from warranty a couple weeks ago. Sent in a knife with nice covers and construction issues, and received a knife with nice construction and cover issues...

Has not seen a lick of pocket time and half tempted to move this along and look toward new opportunities, like the 2019 GEC forum knife.

To be fair, the only issue is the mismatched covers. Otherwise perfectly fine knife. I was hoping for one with remotely matching covers. I am a very sensitive to symmetry :rolleyes:. I was very understanding when having to send the first knife back for work; however I quite liked the original knife covers, so when I got the new knife back, the mismatching was an unpleasant surprise.

I understand natural covers some with variance, and I understand not everyone can get exhibition grade stag. But I just wish I could have my old knife back with some gaps and nice covers rather than the new one. I apologize for the complain post.

91Mdxxu.jpg

b0j7Har.jpg

I understand you completely!! If I am going to use the knife (rarely actually, being a collector), it's not so important 'though it still counts as to how stag presents. I have decided to no longer buy Stag unless I see it in person or see really good pictures!!

Back