Forum Knife Updates and comments

BladeCommander BladeCommander ...
This is my #2
20190407-143211.jpg

20190407-143219.jpg

It has minor gappiness ...like if I squint through holding it up to the light.... but Im thinking better matched covers than that freakishly hideous monstrosity they sent back to you....which I kinda like...
If you would like to do a direct swap let me know by PM ...and we can sort out the logistics ...I live in Australia a small country just off the coast of New Zealand ...postage is good but can take up to a month in extreme cases.....happy to post more pics .
Cheers.
Got my knife back from warranty a couple weeks ago. Sent in a knife with nice covers and construction issues, and received a knife with nice construction and cover issues...

Has not seen a lick of pocket time and half tempted to move this along and look toward new opportunities, like the 2019 GEC forum knife.

To be fair, the only issue is the mismatched covers. Otherwise perfectly fine knife. I was hoping for one with remotely matching covers. I am a very sensitive to symmetry :rolleyes:. I was very understanding when having to send the first knife back for work; however I quite liked the original knife covers, so when I got the new knife back, the mismatching was an unpleasant surprise.

I understand natural covers some with variance, and I understand not everyone can get exhibition grade stag. But I just wish I could have my old knife back with some gaps and nice covers rather than the new one. I apologize for the complain post.

91Mdxxu.jpg

b0j7Har.jpg
Jon

Got my knife back from warranty a couple weeks ago. Sent in a knife with nice covers and construction issues, and received a knife with nice construction and cover issues...

Has not seen a lick of pocket time and half tempted to move this along and look toward new opportunities, like the 2019 GEC forum knife.

To be fair, the only issue is the mismatched covers. Otherwise perfectly fine knife. I was hoping for one with remotely matching covers. I am a very sensitive to symmetry :rolleyes:. I was very understanding when having to send the first knife back for work; however I quite liked the original knife covers, so when I got the new knife back, the mismatching was an unpleasant surprise.

I understand natural covers some with variance, and I understand not everyone can get exhibition grade stag. But I just wish I could have my old knife back with some gaps and nice covers rather than the new one. I apologize for the complain post.

91Mdxxu.jpg

b0j7Har.jpg

BladeCommander BladeCommander - Those are my covers! I received my BF Forum knife back in December, and they had those covers. I was also unhappy about the mismatched covers, along with a few construction defects, so I sent it in to Buck for repairs. They replaced my covers and fixed one of the three construction issues (see my post #2259 in this thread). These are my photos of the knife as I received it last December:

xdso6FB.jpg

TW8CWdR.jpg

AhABW1L.jpg

One of the construction problems with my original knife was that the sheepsfoot blade was rubbing against the liner (3rd photo above). Does your knife have this issue?

Last edited:
Meako, thank you for the offer. I may take you up on that if you are drawn to those covers.

Those are my covers! I received my BF Forum knife back in December, and they had those covers. I was also unhappy about the mismatched covers, along with a few construction defects, so I sent it in to Buck for repairs. They replaced my covers and fixed one of the three construction issues (see my post #2259 in this thread). These are my photos of the knife as I received it last December.

One of the construction problems with my original knife was that the sheepsfoot blade was rubbing against the liner (3rd photo above). Does your knife have this issue?

Those sure are the exact same covers, front and back. Likely they just picked from the returned knives and swapped them around based on the customer complaints. I will look at the sheepfoot blade when I get home and see if it rubs the liner.

This almost adds insult to injury, where they did not even provide a first quality replacement, but another returned knife. I added a note on my return form that I was looking for a fix of the gaps and to maintain my covers, or some that were similar in color and texture.

EDIT:: Jeff Hubbard has said they mistakenly sent the wrong knife to me as a replacement. Buck did not purposefully send reject knives out as warranty replacements.

Last edited:
I will say that I don't suspect Buck had any intention of any wrong doing such as sending a returned knife to you it could have been the result of any number of mistakes or just recycling of parts from returns. I will say that it is disappointing to get such a mismatch but odd as it may be for you some people might enjoy such covers.

BladeCommander BladeCommander - Yes, especially if you asked them to maintain your covers or provide similar ones, it seems wrong to substitute what are obviously grossly mismatched covers, especially if another customer already rejected them as such.

Buck Knives "fixed" only 1 out of 3 construction issues that I had with my original knife. Now I am wondering if that means that they simply sent me another knife that another customer had sent in for repairs, instead of actually working on the knife that I sent in to address the issues I pointed out. When I received the replacement knife in the mail recently, I assumed they had made their best effort to address the issues that I had with the knife, and could not do better. But if Buck Knives simply swapped the knife I sent in for another customer's returned knife, that represents a very weak "lifetime warranty" in my book.

I'm sorry to hear of these discontents with some of the returned knives, but we need to hear all aspects good and bad otherwise we become prisoners of fanboys :eek::D

Having said that, I've been delighted with all aspects of my Buck Forum Knife, it along with the 2014 Stag from GEC are firm favourites. The stainless takes a good edge from diamonds, the Elk is thin panel yet characterful, moderate pull but decent snap, no blade play. Above all else, no horrible stinking brass fouling up things or rust prone carbon...;):D

sDE0cGd.jpg

Buck did right by me on this one. Sent it in with a clip blade that had a proud tip and springs that were sunk in the closed position. Came back just dandy! Springs are now flush both open and closed, and the clip blade rides in the well where it's supposed to.

J J Hubbard , many thanks to you and your team!

I just took mine out for a rainy week of camping because I didn't want to worry about 1095 in the wet. It performed beautifully and I love how it's still razor sharp after all sorts of camp chores. It's a real user, not just another pretty knife.

Back