Four Knots contest

I hope you'll be able to find humour in this. You tied that knot wrong, and likely have been doing it wrong your entire life.

http://www.ted.com/talks/terry_moore_how_to_tie_your_shoes.html

I do find it funny, when I posted this picture I wondered if anyone would notice. I am a lefty and when I was a kid I couldn't tie them the "standard" way as only right handed people were around to teach me and I could never convert it to the "left way." It really is a granny knot with loops used in the second step. I have been doing it that way my whole life and have never had an issue...

You pretty much just have to wrap it the other way around. Try it. It will significantly improve your quality of life. Probably under over for a lefty?

You pretty much just have to wrap it the other way around. Try it. It will significantly improve your quality of life. Probably under over for a lefty?

Not sure what you mean by "quality of life." I don't have any issues as stated, but thanks for the tip anyway...

2Yakgh.jpg

VJ9obh.jpg

I dont remember what this one is called. Something hitch knot with running half hitches. You use kind of a wrenching motion to tighten it down. Works good for sinching down bundles and as an anchor point for hoisting upwards, or dragging something. Unties itself when the running line is left loose.

oNKdHh.jpg

I learned the toggle that Doc Canada showed.

S8MLih.jpg

Sheepshank. Good for shortening a lenth of rope without cutting it. Needs to be under constant load or it will untie itself.

0r7UGh.jpg

Here is one i just learned, the Siberian hitch knot. Also known as "that fancy looking knot that Ray Mears just tied in .025 seconds". It's just a hitch knot that has a quick release and is quick and easy to tie when wearing gloves.

TEkath.jpg

7wEKeh.jpg

Putting everything together now I anchored the cord with the Siberian hitch knot, re learned the truckers knot, then tightened it with a toggle.

Thank you for the learning motivation.

Last edited:
Figure 8 on a bight. I use this anytime I need a loop, lanyards and whatnot. I like it because it doesn't cinch down so tight you have to cut it to get it undone.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Fisherman's knot. I've used it for neck lanyards and to connect two pieces of paracord together to make one long piece.

Bowline.with a single half hitch. I pulled out some paperwork on knots to learn this one. haven't had the opportunity to use it yet.

Trucker's hitch.Offers a 2 to 1 mechanical advantage so you can get it very tight. I like it for setting main lines on tarp shelters.

Here's it finished off with a few turns and a couple half hitch's to keep it all together.

Here's the whole deal put together with two half hitches securing down to 1 side and the trucker's hitch getting it super tight on the other, there's a couple of Prussiks on the main line there too. And Jack is tying a special Jack knot on there as part of his racoon trap he's setting up.

Last edited:
First up is a bowline. I use this knot anytime I want a loop that won't slip.

Bowline.jpg
[/IMG]

Next up is a figure 8 of a loop. It is quick to tie and is very strong.

figureof8loop.jpg
[/IMG]

This is a new knot that I just learned. It's called a double crossed simple simon bend. It's an alternative to the sheet bend for joining ropes of different diameter.

double-crossedSimonbend.jpg
[/IMG]

This knot is an anchor bend and I use it when I'n working with wet rope.

anchorbend.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Hi
Place holder of four rescue knots

1. Sheetbend for joining two ropes unequal thickness, used to throw a light line to then pass over a heavier line

2. Bowline on the Bight a double adjustable loop in line for creating a Bosun's Chair for lifting a person

3. Prussik Loop a non slipping cleat to grab a standing rope for climbing up the rope

4. Carrick bend for joining heavier rope or frozen rope that are hard to bend

Great stuff. Thanks for the try. :)

Hope this is acceptable:

(From the October 1992 of Survival & Outdoor Techniquesmagazine - They're my pics, my words, and I tied the knots!)

Anyone ever hear of a thief knot? At a glance it looks like a reef knot, and was used to tie the sea-chests of savvy sailors. The idea being that if someone cast their roving eye over the contents of your chest, they'd re-tie the knot as a reef knot and you'd be tipped to the fact there was a thief about.

Here's an Italian Friction Hitch:

and a French Prussik:

Nice article. I thought the Double Fisherman's knot went by the name "Grapevine Knot" when it was tied in England...Not so?

I'm in! Gonna make some tonight or tomorrow.
As promised, not sure if contest applies for internationals, but fun to upload anyway.

First, the Clove Hitch. I use it for climbing and lashings.
MW1.jpg

Fig. 1a Clove hitch on carabiner

mw2.jpg

Fig. 1b Clove hitch on a stick

mw3.jpg

Fig. 1c Rolling hitch, basically a Clove hitch with extra internal turn.

mw4.jpg

Fig. 1d Some lashing using a clove hitch (2x)

The figure eight knot, I use it weekly for climbing. Last night I gave a beginners course, so plenty of eight knots tying.
eight.jpg

Fig. 2a Figure eight knot

eight2.jpg

Fig. 2b Threaded figure eight knot, attached to my harness

Butterfly loop
, also used in climbing. I use it for mountaineering on the glacier.
bk.jpg

Fig. 3 Butterfly knot

Rope fixation used in climbing. For the fixation I use the Munter hitch, the slipknot and overhand knot.
hms2.jpg

Fig. 4a Rope fixation

hms.jpg

Fig. 4b Munter hitch or HMS knot used for belay with climbing

sk.jpg

Fig. 4c Slipknot

ok.jpg

Fig. 4d Overhand loop

And as extra bonus, the trucker's hitch based on the slipknot and also fixated with a slipknot
th.jpg

Fig. 5 trucker's hitch

Last edited:
Nice article. I thought the Double Fisherman's knot went by the name "Grapevine Knot" when it was tied in England...Not so?

Thanks a lot (was written 20 years ago!) :) I suspect that the Fisherman's name comes from the fact that as climbing ropes developed and nylon kernmantel ones were introduced, different knots were needed that wouldn't slip. The Double-Fisherman's knots remind me of the Double Blood Knot I used to join monofilament in my fishing days. The Blood Knot basically has three loops, and with Spectra cord you need an extra loop to make it more secure, so British climbers have taken to calling that a Triple-Fisherman's knot when using it to form loops or slings. I don't climb anymore now I'm afraid though, so I'm a bit out of the loop myself! I dare say, that these same knots are used by others for different purposes and may be given different names. Nice idea for a competition, and very generous of you, can't remember the last time I thought so much about knots! :)

Jack

This thread is turning into The Ashley Book of Knots (which is a vast volume if anyone has never seen it)! :)

Im in on this

My most frequently used knot is the bowline. Its a no slip loop

09-12-12001.jpg

next is the clove hitch. Ive used this to hoist a rifle up a tree, barrell down of course.

09-12-12002.jpg

Next is the truckers hitch. When camping I usually have a clothes line set up. A bowline + a truckers hitch does the job.

09-12-12003.jpg

Then finally my own knot. Ill name this after myself. "The Dane" Its simply a bowline tied with a piece of rope doubled and it creates three loops.

09-12-12004.jpg

What could three loops possibly be used for ? A harness.

This is not a life safety knot. Dont kill yourself then blame me. Ive tied it several times just to show it off. My repelling instructor just rolled his eyes.

09-12-12005.jpg

Last edited:
Back