Four Knots contest

Great contest! Thanks for the chance, Rotte, and congratulations to Munky88. BTW, that consolation prize is a beauty.

There should be more of this kind of content in this sub-forum - actual skills, as in W(ilderness) & S(urvival) S(kills)!

Doc

Rotte,

It's been a great contest, thanks for your generosity. It's a great idea to offer Bladz's son a "consolation" prize which by the way could have been a "first" prize. A young boy who have some interest for knots deserves to be encouraged. We all know by experience that sometimes a knife has to be used to "untie" a new knot which is not what we expected it to be!

Munky88,

Congrats. Enjoy, that's really a beautiful knife.

dantzk.

Bladz, because I was so happy that your son entered, I'd like to offer him a consolation prize...if he'll tie 4 more knots: a Buntline Hitch, a Double Bowline (with the Yosemite Hitch), a Zeppelin Bend, and a Tracing Eight Loop (Flemish Loop) around an object (post, tree, table leg, etc...). Didn't happen if there aren't pics.

I'll post a picture of the consolation prize in a little while. ;)

I will get him on it tonight! That is very generous of you and he will be thrilled at the chance to learn and tie those knots!

Congrats to Munky88!

Congrats Munky88 and thanks once again for another great contest Rotte !

This was fun, Thank you Rotte and Congratulations Munky88 & son of Bladz. ( that would be a good fourm name)

Bladz, because I was so happy that your son entered, I'd like to offer him a consolation prize...if he'll tie 4 more knots: a Buntline Hitch, a Double Bowline (with the Yosemite Hitch), a Zeppelin Bend, and a Tracing Eight Loop (Flemish Loop) around an object (post, tree, table leg, etc...). Didn't happen if there aren't pics.

He did a good job. We looked at them online and I did them with him a few times and he was able to tie them all. I wasn't sure if you meant the Flemish loop the way he did it, because we usually use the loop end to tie it, but this is the only way we could figure to tie it around a post.
Buntline:
8004634009_4cb05e94a9_n.jpg

Bowline w/ Yosemite Hitch:
8004627132_d2531c2b4b_n.jpg

Zeppelin Bend:
8004626210_121d980dd7_n.jpg

Flemish Loop:
[video]http://flic.kr/p/dckNku[/video]

Last edited:
Outstanding work on the new knots!

The Flemish loop, also called a Figure Eight or Tracing Eight, can be tied like this:

CA09191220004644-L.jpg

Line around th tree and then threaded back through the "8".

CA09191220014331-L.jpg

Done:

CA09191220024792-L.jpg

Tightened up:

CA09191220034828-L.jpg

This is a very secure knot, and strong too.

I was looking for the Double Bowline. A bit trickier to tie than the single bowline but it is much stronger. The strength of a single Bowline is low--meaning that under strain, the rope can break. The Double Bowline is stronger!

CA09191220070724-L.jpg

Sutured had a good post earlier on the Double Bowline. Give it a try!

Glad the Zeppelin bend worked out, that is a very useful knot to know--great for securing a couple of lines together, yet easy to untie. There is another knot called the Butterfly bend that is similar. The Buntline hitch is very secure, but can be difficult to untie after it is loaded, e.g. placed under strain. Almost a "permanent knot".

Let's see a double bowline and we'll call it a success!

The tracing eight is also called the figure eight follow through. It is used by climbers with a stopper knot (half a fishermans / grapevine knot) to tie in to a harness. With so many names it can be hard to lear and keep track of all the knots.
The Zeppelin bend is cool not many people know it.

Let's see a double bowline and we'll call it a success!

He read the posts and looked at Sutured's pics and was able to tie it without much trouble.
Double Bowline:
8007927867_9f98aae073.jpg

w/ Yosemite hitch:
8007928861_06ea04ab6d.jpg

Thanks for this contest. It gave he and I a reason to freshen up our knot tying! He is looking forward to the camporee next month to show his new skills!!

Fantastic!

Send me a pm or message with a shipping address and I'll get the Backwoods sent off to your son. I'm thankful there are guys out there passing on this knowledge to their sons. In a world of zip ties, velcro, and duct tape, it's good to know that their are still a few young men who have some knowledge of ropework.

Very generous and great contest. Thanks for the opportunity! And congratulations to both winners :)

Back