French regional knives...

Some North American dealer needs to get on the stick!! These Nontrons are beautiful, useful and non-threatening in appearance!!

I've seen them for sale in a cigar store that carries knives and a college town gift shop, both in the midwest. Hipster bait, thus not cheap :)

Âchillepattada Âchillepattada & @cigarrodog Thanks! That's actually my favorite as well. Got lucky with that horn! More photos to come!

I've seen them for sale in a cigar store that carries knives and a college town gift shop, both in the midwest. Hipster bait, thus not cheap :)

Hipster bait had me laughing! So true! Probably the capucins even more so. You are right though, they certainly aren't cheap but they are completely made by hand. I wish I could show a photo of how the Nontron's with multiple woods were made but getting a picture is proving impossible for me. They are actually joined with wood biscuits. They appear and feel very sturdy.

Nice knife, your collection is really great.
It's very strange, it looks like the wedding between the handle of a capucin and a Swiss knife blade :D

Â
At first I thought I was looking at two different knives! Those are some mismatched covers....probably a bonus if you could only have one knife! That is a strange and interesting knife for sure. Given how old the Capuchin is, I'm actually surprised we don't see the style of handle more often.

What's the size of it?
Sorry I missed these comments! That sheffield "capuchin" is 3 1/2" long. The Mark side horn was cut for exposition I take it! The pile side is also horn, but very plain! A common occurrence for displayed knives!

This arrived today, well actually about 10 days ago but I sent the first one back as the blade was warped, ebony scales, I quite like it.
6VfMVKd.jpg

waynorth waynorth , Charlie , Fontenille et Pataud created a few knives based on traditional/regional shapes but added a locking system. This one is an "Alpin" ( knife from the Alpes ) with a lock-back. It's also why you can see a similarity with the Opinel which comes from the same area.
Mount St Bernard is a mount of the Alpes range.

Here is the original one. Of course like most of the regional knives they are made in Thiers :D

capture-d-e-cran-...09.42.06-56bbde1.png

Â

JM said it all. :thumbsup:
It is also called Montagnard (moutaineer) or Savoyard.
Rivière-Caburol said to be the creator took a patent for different names: Alpin (1905), Véritable Alpin (1905), Alpin Coupe Toujours (1909), Alpinox (1931) and Alpin Raz (1956). At the beginning of XXth cent. Guionin named her Alpiniste (with "7" on the blade) but the pattern was also made byTournihac, Sanajust-Girard, Brossard-Daché (Thiers) and for Manufrance.
On the Italian side of the Alpes (Piémont) there's a close relative, the Marietti, with a virole à la Opinel.
Marietti.jpg
The little barrel is reminiscent of the legend of the liquor barrel the St Bernard hounds wear around the neck when retrieving people buried in the avalanches.
Dirty minds say it was in fact for the rescuers after they found the corpses.
stbernard.jpg

Last edited:
The Opinel and the Douk-Douk arrived today:
F3pEVuk.jpg

Are they considered "regional" knives, like the Laguiole?
Great trio ! What is the closedlength of your Laguiole ? Such a beauty !

That is just an outstanding lock back, Charlie ....Wow !!! Thanks for the look

The briar has darkened with age, also because it falled in the water.View attachment 1226069

Great photo, JP and information !! It's so special to have your knowledge at our fingertips :cool::thumbsup:

Âchillepattada Âchillepattada
You too...a real treat to have you and your knowledge on the porch !:cool::thumbsup:

Back