1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Front Flippers - pictures and discussion

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by josh yu, Sep 6, 2017.

1. josh yu

josh yu

Jun 14, 2017
    couple of updates

i have managed to a reserve/purchase a gareth bull 3" shamwari directly from his instagram. it's m390 and runs on bearings, i'm pretty excited to finally handle one.

i came across another zieba, the MS1. this one seems pretty affordable, but a bit uncommon. anyone have any experience with a Michael Zieba MS1?

also, i'd like to share an action clip of a kizer feist from the first batch that seems like a winner. i've vetted multiple feists now, and this one is free of any of the issues the previous one's i've handled were plagued with. no blade play, centered, action is smooth without any grittiness, stop pin it tight. i am still going to purchase one from the new production as soon as it's available, and will report back with a comparison

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/PositivePastelJunebug

2. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar

Sep 1, 2016
    Hopefully that works out for you. He does not have a good reputation when it comes to delivering knives in a timely fashion. I bought mine secondhand.

palonej, lieferung and Lapedog like this.
  3. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    except for he copied Trevor Burgers Design language and got called out on it. then closed up his IG account. dont support this. its ugly.

im sure he makes good knives, just dont copy someones design language. heck he even bought Trevor's knives before releasing the models, he clearly took the design from them.

here's just one https://www.instagram.com/p/BWXv9tTl_K4/
    of course since bester had his ig closed because of this, you dont see his replies.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  4. josh yu

josh yu

Jun 14, 2017
    i grabbed one of the premade sham classics he posted. he claimed it will ship next monday and be at my door thursday. i think the delays are on his custom orders, i don't see any reason for these already finished products to be delayed. let's see how it plays out.

SpySmasher likes this.
  5. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar

Sep 1, 2016
    Yeah, that sounds better.

6. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    I gotta get a Shamwari one of these days.

For now my tuned up first edition Feist is the shizznit. Besides opening it with my thumbs I can actually lay the side of my index finger between my farthest and second farthest knuckle on the side closest to my middle finger and flip it open that way.

Bester knives copied Burger designs? I noticed they looked similar but I thought maybe alot of south african front flippers looked like that. As in I thought it was kindnof a public domain pattern. My Boker Ti Exskelibur has that Trevor design too.

7. josh yu

josh yu

Jun 14, 2017
    My exskelibur was put right back in the box and returned. I love the feist and the one i have seems perfectly good. I am still curious about the second run, which is coming up (speculating ill have one next weekish). I will report back with the new feist and the Shamwari, really curious how the bearing version will feel

8. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    The first version of the Feist has bearings. The problem was in the moving but internal stop pin.

What was your problem with the Exskelibur, I quite like mine. Which version didnyou have?

9. miso2

miso2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I am curious about Exskelibur, too.
    I love mine, well at least one of two. The other one is not quite right. Boker does have some QC issues.

10. josh yu

josh yu

Jun 14, 2017
    the exskelibur i received, wouldn't flip open for the life of it, combination of weak detent and whatever was going on with the washers. i loosened the pivot, and still very hard to flip, but blade play, it could be by design or due to QC. since you guys seem, to like it, i may try another... we'll see

the stop pin in the feist i own seems to fit nicely and is not loose (which was an issue in the first two...). while mine feels great, i still want to see what the new run feels like, so i'll have one of those soon

11. psquared

psquared

Aug 21, 2011
    Trevor Burger makes really fine knives and he is a pleasure to deal with.

I have 2 of his EXK1s (both front / lip flippers) and 2 LEXKs and whilst the front flipper is a fun novelty, I'm delighted that he offers the option of thumb studs on the LEXK now. My LEXK with studs gets used a lot more than the flipper version because opening is more intuitive ... that and it is damascus with carbon fibre scales, so much more attractive than N690 and G10 ;)

[​IMG]

palonej and Mo2 like this.
  12. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    that's because the boker is a burger design. And yes bester stole his design language. Bokers qc and quality are really bad. Wish they were made elsewhere.

13. psquared

psquared

Aug 21, 2011
    It's actually a Skellern and Burger design (EX SKELLErn BURger) ... last I heard, only one partner gets royalties from Boker and it isn't Trevor or his dad.

14. josh yu

josh yu

Jun 14, 2017
    thanks for sharing! these all run on washers right? looking forward to see the burger table at NYCKS, hopefully he has some EXKs for sale

15. Otto Carpenter

Otto Carpenter Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2016
    The Olamic Busker is due out next month - a small front flipper that reportedly has six(!) other methods of deployment. I can't envision seven ways to open a knife, but I'm looking forward to finding out what they are.

Lapedog and Mo2 like this.
  16. lieferung

lieferung Basic Member Basic Member

May 24, 2016
    How is it tuned up? I have a 1st edition Feist and while thumb opening works for me, the detent doesn't seem to allow for index finger opening. Either that or my hands are a lot weaker than I thought :D

17. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    yes, that is correct, still based on the design basically.

18. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    yes PB washers or bearings on the burger knives.

19. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    thats gonna cost alot. but its got a huge anticipation, i really am interested in it. Nick Shabazz is at fault for that lol.

20. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar

Sep 1, 2016
    One of them is "stare really hard at the knife until it pops open."