1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Front Flippers - pictures and discussion

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by josh yu, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Otto Carpenter

Otto Carpenter Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Go ahead and blame Nick if it makes it easier :) As long as it "brings you joy" the story ends well.

Mo2 likes this.
  2. psquared

psquared

Aug 21, 2011
    What he refers to as "Base" models are on PB washers. As soon as it is fancy (more fancy than CF and damascus in the photo above), he uses bearings.

josh yu likes this.
  3. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    i only got the kizer feist, and have managed to drop it into the bottom of my foot because I spazzed out opening the knife. that point is sharp!

ruiker and lieferung like this.
  4. josh yu

josh yu

Jun 14, 2017
    nice! Does anyone know the ballpark street price for theses?

just from the pictures, I can think of 8:

1. two handed using the hole/nick
    2. middle finger flick
    3. thumb flick
    4. one handed slow thumb open
    5. index finger with front flipper tab (first method in my GIF)
    6. thumb flip with front flipper tab (second method in GIF)
    7. side of index finger (third method in GIF)
    8. gravity knife test (the last one is dark humor... nyc residents will understand)

*links fixed

5. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    You could Spyderdrop it too. Most index finger flips can be middle finger flipped too.

Those NY cops would have a field day if they knew how many knives can be spyder dropped open. Almost any knife can already be gravity shaken open as is. Basically if you have a folding knife and the NY officer knows how to do it, he can make any folder a "gravity knife"

6. Otto Carpenter

Jun 24, 2016
    That's probably the list. I was thinking maybe the old "Spydie Drop" like on a PM2, also. Price hasn't been posted but my guess is they'll be $400+

7. josh yu

josh yu

Jun 14, 2017
    great... just expensive enough for me to say no initially, but continue to be tempted by it for an extended period, then finally cave and buy it. worst price bracket ever

W. Anderson and Lapedog like this.
  8. Otto Carpenter

Jun 24, 2016
    I hear ya' - expensive but not crazy enough to walk away from. You could wait for one to get posted on the exchange, but if you're not online at the time it gets posted it'll probably get snapped up before you get a chance to buy it yourself. Think positive - they may go for more than $500, in which case you can just laugh knowingly and walk away.

9. Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    My Feist came gritty and with bladeplay and uncentred. I opened the knife up to discover a bunch of metal flash left over from grinding in the pivot and track the stop pin rides in. I sanded down all the flash away and closed the knife tightened down the pivot and put a little purple locktite on it. Now it flips like a dream and runs perfectly.

I can't actually flip my Exskelibur either, only thumb roll it open more slowly.

10. gusnuts

gusnuts Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2015
    I have owned or handled several front flippers. I personally love a good front flipper when done correctly and I hope they start to become more popular here in the US. They are generally streamline, classy, and a lot of fun. Below are the rankings of the ones that I have handled and some of my thoughts on each of them...

1.) Clyde Challenor RT Damasteel Hornet - Absolutely amazing knife. Top notch fit and finish, incredible action, and nearly perfect in every way. Clyde uses two forms of jimping on the spine... a very fine and grippy jimping to flip it open and a larger jimping for the thumb ramp (great attention to detail). His latest work is on a whole new level from his earlier pieces.
    2.) Burger EXK CF (base) - Awesome EDC with snappy action and excellent fit and finish... It is a little plain on the design side but a very capable front flipper. Overall a good value for the money and a classy little EDC. I intend on trying Trevor's Ti frame lock version one day.
    3.) Kizer Feist - Excellent value. Every Kizer I have handled has impressed me as far as bang for your buck goes. Mine was slightly gritty but the flipping action was excellent. No bladeplay or lockup issues. I am curious to see how they address the pivot and bearing assembly issues. My biggest complaint about the Feist and most Kizers for that matter is the finish they use on the Ti. It looks and feels cheap to me. If they would use a stonewashed or sand blasted finish it would bring their knives to a whole new level IMO.
    4.) Boker Exskeliber - Very disappointed in this one. The action was mediocre at best and there were several fit and finish issues. The blade centering on these is hit or miss, occasional lock stick, and a cheap feeling in the hand. It was flippable but not smooth or very fun. I've also seen the lockbars on these move close to 95-100% very quickly. I think most people who are new to front flippers start with this model and I think it leaves a bad taste in their mouths which prevents them from trying a higher end front flipper.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    miso2, lieferung, Mo2 and 1 other person like this.
  11. marthinus

marthinus KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 10, 2006
    A few other front flippers. Photos taken by me except the one of Herucus' knife as I dont have a photo currently doing his work justice.

Below knives are from Des Horn, Andre Thorburn, John Arnold and Trevor Burger respectfully.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

miso2, Mo2, josh yu and 1 other person like this.
  12. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar Platinum Member

Sep 1, 2016
    My goodness. What a beaut.

palonej and Mo2 like this.
  13. miso2

miso2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Great info!
    Yeah, Exskelibuer is a bummer, when you get a bad one. I bought two, and one of them was nearly perfect. Otherwise, I would have given up with it.
    When it is done well, it could be a great light EDC knife for many......

14. HSC ///

HSC /// KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 7, 2012
    I've really been enjoying this Des Horn Slimvubu in Nitrobe 77
    I'm a high carbon steel guy but I am enjoying this Nitrobe 77, it is just sharp and super usable as my EDC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. josh yu

josh yu

Jun 14, 2017
  16. lieferung

lieferung

May 24, 2016
    It has the old friction folder flipper design, but it checks out :)

17. thefamcnaj

thefamcnaj Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 16, 2012
    The busker is available now?

18. Otto Carpenter

Jun 24, 2016
    If it is, Eugene's keeping it a secret. Website/FB said sometime in October.

thefamcnaj likes this.
  19. Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    I definitely see where people are coming from when criticizing the Boker Exskelibur. Particularly the liner lock versions I had handled were often riddled with issues.

On the other hand the frame lock ones I have seen have been pretty good. I got lucky and got a full Ti framelock version that has had no problems. It really is a beautiful lightweight knife with a thin blade when its done right. It makes me wonder how amazing the Burger version must be.

Does anyone know what Skellern contributed to the Exskelibur? The few Skellern customs I have seen look very similar to the Burgers. That is why I thought Bester knives making designs that looked like the Burger ones was not an issue.

Mo2 likes this.