1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Front Flippers - pictures and discussion

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by josh yu, Sep 6, 2017.

1. thefamcnaj

thefamcnaj Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Ok i must have misunderstood the op. I was under the impression he had one.

2. josh yu

josh yu

Jun 14, 2017
    oops, no i don't own all of those knives on the list. for a while i was compiling everyones' contributions to this thread

3. The_Machine

The_Machine

Jun 8, 2017
    Really looking forward to the Busker. The design reminds me somewhat of a Spyderco Techno, but improved on all fronts.

It’s funny, I’m a small knife guy. I generally like blades 3” or under. Yet the Busker is the first knife that’s been on my radar I wish was a tad larger. 2.25” inches seems like it might be pushing it in terms of being usable.

Otto Carpenter likes this.
  4. Otto Carpenter

Otto Carpenter Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2016
    That idea occurred to me, too. The posted images look stellar, but you never know a knife until you have it in hand. 2.25" is very small.

5. lieferung

lieferung

May 24, 2016
    I think knowing OAL or handle length would come in handy for purchasing something that small. Often times I don't need a large blade, but the handle must be comfortable.

6. The_Machine

The_Machine

Jun 8, 2017
    I bet the handle is fairly comfortable. The curve should fit nicely in your hand and provide decent grip for it's size.

7. flash900

flash900 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 17, 2010
    I got one of the new Kizer Feists.

Looks just the same as the old but they fixed the gritty pivot.

Unfortunately, dealers still have some of the old models; since Kizer hasn't designated the new version as new, you won't know what you're getting.

Mine is perfect; very happy with it.

mrknife likes this.
  8. lieferung

lieferung

May 24, 2016
    How's the detent? Can you use the side of your index finger as demonstrated in one of Justin's Instagram posts?

9. flash900

flash900 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 17, 2010
  10. josh yu

josh yu

Jun 14, 2017
    Just a couple of pics. Gareth bull 3" shamwari and Francois Massyn tanto. Neither of these stuck, the bull was returned and the Massyn was caught and released. both are fantastic models, one is just not for me and one unfortunately was a lemon.

Anyone seen or handled a Charl Pienaar CPK3? 3" version of the CPK looks promising and might be the next one i try out

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    miso2 and lieferung like this.
  11. miso2

miso2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
  12. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar Platinum Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Instagram video from a few days ago in case everybody hasn't seen it:

13. Otto Carpenter

Otto Carpenter Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Hey, thanks for the vid! Pretty cool. Couple more Glenlivets and we can add opening yourself up to the list of options.

Lapedog likes this.
  14. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Looks badass. I can tell just by the video how sooth the pivot is.

Even still I am going to have to pass on the Busker. Part of what I like about front flippers is that they allow for minimalistic design. My most desired front flipper is a Shamwari. I also like the frame lock Burgers. Zeiba has some nice front flipper designs. I am absolutely in love with my Feist, too bad about all the BS attatched to the Feist design.

15. Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    *edit* Double post.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  16. SpySmasher

Sep 1, 2016
    I totally agree. In fact, aside from a bit of novelty, I feel like that's all that front flippers have going for them.

lieferung and Lapedog like this.
  17. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb

Jun 6, 2017
    I like the minimalist design which is what draws me to front flippers, of which I only have 1, I will probably pass on the Busker as I am just not 100% on the aesthetics specific to it. I will likely pick up a Feist when I can and when hopefully the "Gen 1" models have been weeded out.

My front flipper hasn't been mentioned here and that is the Maserin 392 (Starlight) it comes in black or silver carbon fiber or various G10 colors. Mine is the black carbon fiber Maserin 392/CN model and I really like it only complaints I have is that the detent isn't strong enough to really flip it nor is the "tang" long enough for a good flip.

Lapedog, josh yu and SpySmasher like this.
  18. nyefmaker

nyefmaker Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2008
    IMG_6246.jpg IMG_6247.jpg I picked this up today to try. I like the framelock with a slipjoint look. Looks very solid. Will post more when it arrives. Maker is Anthony Griffin.

Teppojutsu, Sergeua, ArchVV and 3 others like this.
  19. Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    That little Maserin front flipper looks awesome. I really like the silver twill fibre one. Too bad it is tip down carry.

I wish I heard more press from companies like Maserin. I find it very hard to find a full catalog for alot of these European brands. Like for example I cannot seem to find a complete Boker catalog. Their website only shows some of their knives it seems.

20. SpySmasher

Sep 1, 2016
    That's SHOCKINGLY elegant coming from him. He makes some ridiculous ... stuff.