1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 24 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Benchmade 535 Bugout, along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Front Flippers - pictures and discussion

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by josh yu, Sep 6, 2017.

1. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Sorry, between my ass and third base and front and rear flippers, I cannot figure anything out. The pictures in this thread are not helping.

2. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2016
    More pics please!

Justin Schmidt and Getting older like this.
  3. josh yu

josh yu

Jun 14, 2017
    Disassemble, clean out, and redo, this time make sure your pivot is dialed in just right, no play, centered, but still flips nicely. Also, ive needed anything stronger than blue on any knife I've owned

lieferung likes this.
  4. miso2

miso2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I have used Teflon tape for persistent loose pivot screw. You just need to use little excessive amount of tape.
    This requires some dexterous fingers, though.

5. josh yu

josh yu

Jun 14, 2017
    Justin Schmidt, miso2 and Cutlover like this.
  6. miso2

miso2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Congrats!

7. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
  8. nyefmaker

nyefmaker Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2008
    IMG_6299.JPG

IMG_6301.JPG IMG_6302.JPG IMG_6303.JPG IMG_6304.JPG IMG_6299.JPG IMG_6299.JPG

Here is my Anthony Griffin Front Flipper I promised I would post. My first full custom. As you can see, it is "normal" sized...lol. I have it next to a large 21 Sebenza to give you an idea of its size comparison. The quality of the knife is awesome throughout. It's scary sharp in cpm 154 steel which I have always liked in the past. Framelock which locks up like a vise. Front Flipper as stated, but I cannot flip it to save my life. I watched videos and even the video of this exact one and just simply can't...lol. It really does remind me of a large slip joint, until you turn it over and realize it's framelock. Not sure if I will keep it or not, but wanted to share...!! Enjoy.

knoefz, Teppojutsu, ourgon and 2 others like this.
  9. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Look up a picture of the Kizer Feist. Notice how it seems to have no way to open the knife. No thumbstuds, flipper, thumbhole, not even a nail nick.

Now look at the jimping on the Feist. You open the knife by pushing on the little bit of spine jimping that sticks out past the scales of the knife.

10. Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    Took me a while to get used to flipping some front flippers. Some of them are much easier than others it seems. Took me a long time to be able to flick by Exskelibur. Some knives are just much harder. (I don't think what makes an effective front flipper is common knowledge to makers like a standard flipper is)

Some front flipper knives are much easier to flick with the side of the index finger.

11. lieferung

lieferung

May 24, 2016
    The front flipping action is definitely a learning curve. I watched half a dozen videos of the Feist before I bought mine, and I still couldn't do it. Eventually I had to find my own way to do it (people in most vids used the side of their thumb --- I had to use a spot closer to the base of the thumb, below the last knuckle). I still can't index finger it out...

Honestly though it's a valid method of child (or idiot) proofing your knife. Heck, my cousin and coworkers could barely figure out how to open it.

ruiker likes this.
  12. ourgon

ourgon

Feb 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

knoefz, katanas and lieferung like this.
  13. tiguy7

Jun 25, 2008
    B5C3EBC3-4445-480E-BBB1-94EF880714B9.jpeg
    Thanks, I think I got it. These are front/back flippers. The things that look like thumb studs are blade stops. I can thumb the front ear or index finger the rear ear. Sometimes I do both at the same time. ABF1FF1C-8019-45BA-9F87-C4C305FD73E0.jpeg

14. Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    Sort of. The spine side quillion is more of a wave than a front flipper.

This knife demonstrates two of the more popular styles of front flippers (it has both styles)

Kizer Wakulla
    [​IMG]
    The little tab to the left of the thumbstud is one front flipper. Pressing at the corner of that front flipper causes the blade to open.

The other front flipper is the other tab to the left of the pivot. This one you flip more like a bic lighter.

15. Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    Is that a stud on the pivot of your mad max so you can slip it between your belt and pants and the knife will hang by the stud?

16. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar Platinum Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Pretty.

mrknife likes this.
  17. Teppojutsu

Teppojutsu

Jan 18, 2015
    @nyefmaker that silpjoint framelock is sweet.
    I cant post a pic but there is or was a titanium jigged one on the exchange by Pena it was also awsome
    :thumbsup:

18. lieferung

lieferung

May 24, 2016
    Whoaaaaaa those are sweet!

19. tiguy7

Jun 25, 2008

20. tiguy7

Jun 25, 2008
    A7CDAB1B-7F54-4A95-9853-3AC8F1FF8494.jpeg
    Actually that post is supposed to drop into a frog. The knife is too long for a pocket clip. The frog in the picture has a hole, but I would need a notch, the bottom of which would correspond to the lower edge of the hole. I am going to order a Kydex frog customized to fit the knife. In the mean time, I use a Napolean pocket. 35727F25-06FF-4DD6-B410-B9EAEC7AE43F.jpeg