Fugitive PassAround - Reviews Are In!

OK, I'm finally caught up on all the holiday stuff and will sending this out to the first victim - I mean volunteer. Here's a couple shots of the sheath:

While it's naturally important to us to build our sheaths with full welts for safety and durability, I also do a little extra work to keep them sleek and avoid unneccesary bulk. So I taper them much the same way I do my blades and tangs...

tumblr_mysgm7Zj3c1t96crwo1_1280.jpg

I don't get too many requests for left-handed sheaths, but I'd hate to lose work simply because our sheath wasn't comfortable for someone to carry. So I've started designing my sheaths to be "4 Way/Ambidextrous". They can be carried with equal comfort RH or LH, and the keeper strap can be turned to open from either side...

tumblr_mysglqwTxp1t96crwo1_1280.jpg

I like em!
not as blocky as the rectangle taco "bushcraft" style sheaths, but versatile.

I like em!
not as blocky as the rectangle taco "bushcraft" style sheaths, but versatile.

Yeah, I'm definitely trying to avoid "blocky". I've seen some pretty expensive sheaths that weigh as much or more than they knife they carry, and more than double its volume... that makes no sense to me.

They can be carried with equal comfort RH or LH, and the keeper strap can be turned to open from either side...

This is actually pretty straightforward to accomplish. I simply build the sheath so the blade fits inside it with the edge facing either way, and the tops of the welts match and are squared off for the guard to rest against... then wet-form it twice instead of once.

Instead of being stitched or riveted down, the keeper strap is held in place with a customized Chicago screw that allows it to rotate, and is held fast with Loc-Tite. If the keeper should become damaged, this technique also makes it easier to remove/replace.

tumblr_myshfc957U1t96crwo1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
If we're going to add weight/bulk to a sheath, I insist that it be for a specific added purpose, like a pouch and/or firesteel loop... which we've done in the past and will surely do again ;)

good thinking on the keeper!

Thanks! I doubt I'm the first guy who ever thought of that... but regardless, it works.

Last edited:
I'd been thinking about this concept for a while, but the inspiration for really making this style of keeper happen came from a friendly argument our mutual friend Moosez45 and I had at the Fall 2013 BeckerHead Gathering... he declared quite firmly that the keeper should never be designed to open from the front, because it might catch on brush as you're moving along, come open and cause you to lose your knife. I countered that in 25 years of bumming around in the woods I've never had that happen, and the knife is more comfortable to draw if the keeper opens from the front/with your thumb...

Which of us is "right"? Doesn't matter... this way folks from both schools of thought can use it the way they prefer. :) So, thanks Moose!

Last edited:
so do you have the list of users in shipping order written up yet?
:D

Yes. You happen to be second in line.

With all due respect and gratitude to all who have volunteered to test this knife, I have chosen the first three cats for this PassAround based on me knowing them and their experience, and knowing that they can and will beat this knife within an inch of its life in a vast variety of tasks, without destroying it on purpose.

These rascals know how to really get the most out of a good cutting implement, and I intend to give them a chance to start with a truly great survival/escape/resistance/evasion knife.

All four of us have a good deal of experience in that regard, and extremely high standards as to what separates an adequate or awful combat/survival knife from an exemplary one. Should my knife fail to satisfy these first three cats, I will have failed in every regard... and I will start over.

If the Fugitive makes it past the first three testers intact, and the second wave of testers somehow destroy it in the course of hard work or outright abuse, I will know that my design and material choices require further review and study. I'm not a gambling man, and I do not wager my reputation lightly... I frankly have no fear of that happening.

I have already pounded/shaved/sliced this thing through what I consider to be a pretty rigorous series of tests. I know it can do what I want a combat/survival knife to do. That's really not the point of this passaround.

I am asking you all to let me know if it is comfortable, reliable, cuts/chops/slashes well, easy to carry, etc.

And most importantly, if it is worthy of being the only cutting implement you might have, in dire straights; and whether or not, if you were in the market for such a knife, you would consider my work.

Cool!
how much time do we get with it?
hopefully not less than 10 days - 2 weeks or a bit longer would be better considering the season.
In addition to GP tasks that can be done in/near the house, I'd like to get it out in the woods for at least one overnight, but that's not likely to happen if I only have it for a few days and we have an "arctic event" for a chunk of that time. I'm also hoping to go on a weekend outing up in Nebraska at the end of the month -- if it's here for that, I can get feedback from other folks at that get-together. (at least ergos & visual impressions)

With all due respect and gratitude to all who have volunteered to test this knife, I have chosen the first three cats for this PassAround based on me knowing them and their experience, and knowing that they can and will beat this knife within an inch of its life in a vast variety of tasks, without destroying it on purpose.
Oh man. Bummer. Would have loved to be the first to do pull ups on the Fugitive :D
Just kidding. I doubt I would be able to beat it to an inch of its life by subjecting it to tasks which knives are made for.
Still hoping to be in the second wave and even if not I'm curious to see the reviews. :thumbup:

If you by chance need another person to review your proto or one in the future, drop me a line. My field knives are both factory made so a custom would be nice to try out in various tasks.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for your interest! I will indeed be doing more passarounds in the future. In the meantime, please stay tuned and share your thoughts here :)

The Fugitive proto finally got shipped out to the first tester in line today; I apologize for the delays. I sincerely cannot wait to hear more feedback, and I thank you all for your time and efforts in seeing if this thing holds up to real-world use!

Shall we post our experiences here or in a new thread?

Could get lost in the woods if we don't start with a plan;)

Last edited:
It seems like every time I get a knife that I think could be a “one and only” (that is a knife that would be the only blade I would carry for an outing), the first thing I do to test it out is attempt to carve a spoon…really fast. My philosophy is that a quickly carved spoon requires a lot of different sorts of cuts that often involve leaving your comfort zone.

First, I have to find the desired piece of wood,

then I need to clear the twigs away from around it,

then I typically like to chop the branch off (assuming that the knife is suitable for chopping),

perhaps some batoning will be involved with splitting the branch, some drilling for the bowl, then some rough carving involving all sorts of cuts often times necessitating climbing all over the handle as I shape the work.

This exercise seems worthwhile because once I am finished, I will ideally have a lot of shavings that ought to make for a decent tinder bundle. Today was quite wet, and the wood was quite moist, but I did get the bundle to take a few sparks and flare up a few times.

This has little to do with the review other than to show that the spine of the knife is very good for sparking a ferro rod. I would also suggest that the sharp edges of the spine would be good for shredding cedar bark or making wood shavings for tinder, but I did not actually use it for these purposes.

The point here is not to make the prettiest spoon, or to showcase my talents in making a fire with a knife and a ferro rod. The point here is to learn about the knife and how well it performs the tasks…in a hurry. Why a hurry? Because if I ever find myself in a situation where I can only have ONE knife, it is not a comfort cruise and I figure I am going to want to get things done quickly to better my situation. Therefore I see little merit to relaxing and whittling a nice chain, or wood spirit with this knife. Granted, a spoon is not an emergency item, but I think those of us that have carved a few can agree that the exercise shows you a lot about a knife and its ability to carve small tools.

It is not possible for me to give unbiased judgments here. I have been using knives long enough that I have HUGE bias for certain features. We all have preferences and hopefully they stem from experiences. My experiences, anatomy, surroundings (such as the typed of wood I find most frequently), strengths, and weaknesses have lead me to my preferences…and suffice to say my preferences do NOT include a knife this size, a SINGLE knife, G-10 handles, or leather sheaths in the woods. I think I was actually selected to review this knife BECAUSE it is not my typical preference (though I am not certain).

Given that I was apprehensive about a hard and slick G-10 handle, I would have to say that I had little issue with the material as is. Some users will want the fore end of the G-10 rounded off as the edges are a bit sharp and if you are carving like mad to quickly build a tool, you may find these edges troublesome. There really is something to be said for the ergonomics of the handle too. Before I went outside, I handed the knife to my petite wife and then to my 12 year old son. They both have much smaller hands than I do, but both felt that the knife was very comfortable in hand after they got past the size of the blade (I would not recommend this size blade for my wife or son, but the handle fit their hands and mine very well). Perhaps it should be noted that I have fairly large hands.

There is a handy thumb notch that basically went unnoticed during use (for what it is worth, I think it is a good thing when I do not notice things because they just plain work), HOWEVER the edges of the notch are sharp. These sharp edges had me reaching for my gloves as soon as I started carving. Some users will want these edges tamed a bit.

Because I only worked for a short time, fatigue was not a problem. Users that find themselves in a real situation where they need to do a greater duration of work may desire a forward lanyard. My initial inspection of the knife had me writing notes about a forward lanyard…again, this is a preference thing though. It has a standard rear lanyard tube that may possibly serve me as a spindle bearing for making a primitive fire. I do like attempt a bow drill once in a while, but it is rare…and while rare, it is the ONLY use I have for a rear lanyard tube.

The results of this little test reveal only minor edge deterioration, and I was able to make suitable wood shavings after I was done. I am confident that the knife is still sharp enough to accomplish any other reasonable camp activities I might ask of it. The knife is ground full flat and has enough thickness left behind the edge that heavier users should not find fault, but it is thinner than many of the production offerings I have had opportunity to play with (and cutting/slicing performance reflects this). If I were to order this knife, I would request a slightly thinner grind, but I am almost certainly among the minority who enjoys a VERY thin edge on my knives.

I kick myself a bit for not examining the edge as delivered under magnification. After some cutting chores I typically conduct throughout my work day, and this backyard outing, I studied the edge under magnification. The thumb pad test indicated to me that it was still reasonably sharp, the wood shaving test confirmed this, but my nail test (use the tip of the finger nail to stroke the edge) showed me some roughness was present.

I can speculate about the cause of this roughness, but the result is it tends to cut things and leave slightly frayed edges (I am being extremely picky here as evidenced by this photo).

If you study closely you can see some paper fibers clinging to the edge, and some fraying on the cardboard where I cut it. The only reason I mention this pertains to my observation while sharpening this blade.

As I sharpened it, a heavy burr developed quickly. This generally indicates to me that amateur sharpeners will have a relatively easy time sharpening it if they focus on burr development and subsequent removal (easy sharpening is a very good thing these days. I also noted that the bevels polished out very easily. Based on my observations, I felt compelled to polish the edge. The results were a much “stickier” edge that seemed MUCH better (to me) for carving wood or just making wood shavings. I will continue to use this knife for a few more days, but preliminarily I see no reason to avoid a more polished edge on a knife this size in this alloy.

My experience with this and other knives shows advantages for polished edges in push cutting (such as carving, shaving, and chopping), and I primarily use this style of cutting in the woods. Some alloys do not support a polished edge as well as others, but (preliminarily, at least) this one seems to excel with it. Further, given the way this steel behaves on the hones, I would suggest that maintenance in the field should not be an issue provided you have the forethought to bring along a bit of abrasive (my choice would be about 12 inches of nylon webbing (like you might find on a ratchet strap or seat belt) loaded with diamond paste. It rolls up small, is water proof, and used judiciously it will keep this edge sharp enough to pull a Crocodile Dundee if needed.

Suffice to say, I have done considerably more “play” with this knife than I have documented here. A lot of the things I do with these knives probably seem silly to some (and they really are silly) but because I do the same or very similar silliness with all the knives I review, it gives me a reasonable idea of how they compare. This knife offered me a few nice surprises. While I feel it is too small to be considered a chopping knife, it handled the chopping tasks I asked of it better than most knives this size*. In spite of the thickness of the stock used to create this knife, it still went through thick media very well. (* -- The only knives I would say chop better than this knife were custom made for me, and were ground thinner than any sane maker would go for a pass around knife)

If I ignore preferences and review this knife with as little user bias as possible, I would have to give it very high marks for cutting performance and handle ergonomics (omitting the following exceptions). I would bet that I am not alone with my dislike for the sharp edges on the thumb notch and on the front of the handle. Regarding aesthetics, I will say it is a very nice looking knife, but I would also be critical of the maker’s mark (which I feel should be a crisp and proud seal of approval).

I find that this blade (steel/heat treat), exhibits the qualities I really like for an outdoors knife. It retains an edge well enough through what most would call hard (but sensible...sort of) use. After chopping and hacking away at the pile of detritus you see in the photo below (and more), this edge would still shave roughly. After ten laps on a strop (like I mention above) laid across my thigh, it would shave arm hair crisply. I examined the edge pre- and post-stropping and saw no evidence of rolling or chipping. For users that want a knife that stays sharp for months or years with zero maintenance...sorry, I cannot comment. My philosophy tends toward having a VERY sharp edge ALL the time...if you like this philosophy, I think this might be a good combination for you (just carry a travel strop in your kit)

I may post some more updates as I experience them.

I think I was actually selected to review this knife BECAUSE it is not my typical preference (though I am not certain).

That's true. Thanks for your feedback, keep it coming! :)

Unless someone has specific/technical questions for me, I'm going to keep a fairly low profile in this thread until at least a couple people have had a chance to share their their impressions, and let you all discuss it among yourselves. That's doesn't mean I'm ticked off by anyone's opinion/findings or not paying attention... I just want to know what YOU think, without me steering the conversation or introducing my own bias. ;)

I really like that handle (from this distance anyway).

-Daizee

Back