Fusion Fixation Bowie - Broke

Well, I bought a Fusion Bowie (model FX01) yesterday and did some testing with it today for my review. It broke under normal use. Let me explain what happened...
1. The knife was sharpened to paper-slicing sharpness. Not hair-shaving, just enough to cleanly slice paper.
2. I cut through three or four cardboard boxes.
3. I started to baton the knife through a 4" diameter (slightly smaller around than a CD) pine branch. No knots in it. My baton was another piece of pine, maybe 1-1/2" in diameter (a little thicker than the handle of the knife). The edge was against the pine at about 2" forward of the guard. I was batoning it about an inch forward of that. On the fifth whack, the blade broke. It was a clean break, straight line. This was batoning a knife with a piece of wood through another piece of wood! I don't have any photos right now, but the Bowie broke with some simple batoning.
4. I had my wife call Customer Service (I'm sick and busy with work) and explain what happened. The CS lady said that the Fusion line isn't covered by SOG's lifetime warranty and that the Fixation Bowie isn't expected to perform like a high-dollar knife. But I could send it in and they'd see if it was abused.

She also mentioned the sheath, which is pretty low in quality ( my opinion). The fit and finish was poor, and the knife could be shaken out of the sheath when upside down (yes, even with the snap in place). The CS lady told her that if there was a problem with the sheath, I could order another one. I don't want to pay for another poor-quality sheath; the sheaths in the store were all of this quality. I handled six Fixation Bowies and I picked the best one of the bunch!

On the breakage: It happened exactly as I described it, and I'm really annoyed that I don't have a camera right now to get photos. I don't think batoning through pine (a pretty soft wood) is abusive or voids a warranty, especially considering this is advertised as a military-quality knife (just more affordable). Yeah, it's probably a bad heat treat, but the CS lady didn't even suggest this; it was more of an implication that I shouldn't have done that with my knife.

On the lifetime warranty: From what I've read, every Fusion product also carries SOG's lifetime warranty. If that's not true, then fine. But I'm not talking about a knife that I bought years ago and am just now having trouble with; I'm describing a knife that I bought YESTERDAY and isn't covered by a warranty.

On the "not expected to perform like a high-dollar knife" comment: Bull. What's it supposed to perform like then? It's a military-inspired design, so I'm assuming it's made for some sort of outdoor or rigorous use. If it can't go through a piece of wood that every other fixed blade I have can, then why is it advertised as such? I've got $10 Moras that have done this simple task, and even my $8 Opinel can be batoned through the same pine without breaking. My $20 Bushman continues to cut anything I can throw at it, no matter how hard I beat it. But I paid $32 for the Fixation Bowie and it's not expected to perform at the same as higher-end knives, yet it doesn't perform like lower-end ones?

If what my wife says is true, and I have no reason to doubt that, it sounds like Customer Service thinks very poorly of their own products. Not covered by warranty? Not expected to perform? Implications that it was abused, despite being told the full story? Again, bull. My only other warranty issue with SOG was with a Twitch XL, which they went above and beyond to make sure I was 100% satisfied. I was so happy and though very highly of SOG and its products. Today, I carry the same amount of disappointment with the Fixation Bowie.

EDIT: Not sure if I'm sending it in for work. Whenever I hear that the knife isn't expected to perform under the use I had for it, then leave it up to the company to determine if it was abused, I know I'm getting stuck with a) a repair bill if I want it fixed, b) a $32 broken knife if I don't want it fixed, or c) a shipping bill either way, just so they can look at it.

I'm not swearing off SOG products, but I can guarantee I'll never buy another one of their Fusion line wares again. Hopefully Chris or somebody else can shed some light on why my Fixation Bowie is regarded as not up to the quality as the company's other goods, and why simple batoning is too much for it to handle.

Last edited:
from what I've been told, the Fusion line only carries a warranty for one year after purchase, which it sounds like you have.

As far as the knife goes, that is pretty disappointing. I have broken 2 Fusion tomahawk handles so easily and I refuse to get another. The head is good quality but the "fiberglass" or w/e they use is just poor.

I would be interested in seeing pics if you could get them up sometime.

Well, it's a 'fusion'... You pay for what you get. It's not the first case I've heard. :cool:

Yep like swimmerdude1127 said the Fusion series is covered by a 1 year warranty. Send it in and let them replace it for you. You weren't doing any "Busse-like" tests on concrete so I guess you are still covered by warranty. You might however might used a wrong technique of batoning which resulted in breakage. An explaination here: 'Batoning' shows why even the strong knives can break...

If a knife can't even perform a simple task like that, it ain't called a knife. :foot:

I'll be posting photos tonight since I can borrow a camera. I will not be returning this to SOG; tomorrow morning I'm just going to return it to the knife shop where I bought it and explain what happened. This will give me an immediate solution, rather than shipping, hearing what went wrong, being asked how I'd like to fix it, and then shipping back. To clear something up: the break occured right where the blade meets the guard. I'll post photos in this thread. You'll see that there are barely any baton marks on the back of the blade; it simply didn't have enough time to get a break-in. Very disappointed.

Personally speaking, there are just too many affordable nice knives out there to have a moment's hesitation about sending one back.

I would sack that one up, take it back and get something else.

You will be fighting a battle with SOG you cannot win, and even if you do, all you will get is another POS knife. I don't see how you gain much if you actually got the best of the lot on hand when you purchased this one, and you simply wind up with like and kind replacement.

Scratch SOG off the good guys list an go on your way!

Robert

Here are the photos, with a brief description of each.

The knife as it is now...
001-13.jpg

The handle...
002-12.jpg

The blade and handle together, showing the break...
003-15.jpg

Close-up of the blade tang...
004-14.jpg

Looking at the spine...
005-15.jpg

The handle at the break...
006-13.jpg

Looking down the handle...
007-13.jpg

I'm returning the knife tomorrow morning to the store I got it from, who will then send it to SOG. I'll write up a review of the Fixation Bowie as time permits.

Blurry shots, but the tang doesn't look like it is one piece right?

Seems like the blade and another piece of metal were weld together and then stuffed into a handle. If you look at the link I provided in my earlier post the article shows how a breakage at the point similar to yours can occur.

Regarding the funny tang, it sure doesn't look like the Seal 2000's...

Like Robert said, don't exchange it for another Fusion Bowie! :rolleyes: Exchange it for another SOG like the 'Seal Pup Elite' or the 'Seal Team Elite'. Or get another knife like the 'Fallkniven S1'. Great knife and I have one too! :thumbup:

I just got off the phone with Lindsay at the SOG Warranty department, and I'm less than pleased... again. Here's what happened...

Me: I have a problem with a knife I got the other day.
Lindsay: Okay.
Me: I bought one of your Fusion Fixation Bowies and was about to write a review on it. Do you know what batoning is?
Lindsay: You mean like a marching team?
Me: No, not quite. It's when you put the edge of your knife against the end a small stick or log, then use a heavier stick to pound it through the log.
Lindsay: Okay.
Me: Well, I was doing this like I have with a lot of other knives, and the Bowie broke on the fourth or fifth whack.
Lindsay: It broke.
Me: Yeah, right at the tang. The blade snapped off of the handle.
Lindsay: Well, the Fusion line is supposed to be our more economical line and doesn't have the long warranty.
Me: I understand that, but I just got it the other day and it has a one-year warranty.
Lindsay: The Fusion knives... none of our knives actually... are designed to be used in the way you describe.
Me: So none of your knives are made to be used as outdoor knives or survival knives?
Lindsay: Not in the way you described. That actually voids the warranty.
Me: Batoning voids the warranty on an outdoor knife?
Lindsay: I'm not sure where you read that the Fusion Bowie is supposed to be a survival or outdoor knife. It's more of a fun knife.
Me: So, you're telling me that using any of your knives for batoning will void the warranty.
Lindsay: Yes sir. All I can do is have you send it in, run an RC test on it, and if we determine it to be faulty we'll replace it.
Me: And if you've determined it's not faulty?
Lindsay: Then I can send you back the pieces. Now you obviously didn't get the warranty information, but batoning as you describe it isn't covered.
Me: Alright. Thank you.

At this point, I hung up and decided to not even bother. The knife is going back to the store today and I'll be rid of it. What a joke.

1. The knife was sharpened to paper-slicing sharpness. Not hair-shaving, just enough to cleanly slice paper.
2. I cut through three or four cardboard boxes.
3. I started to baton the knife through a 4" diameter (slightly smaller around than a CD) pine branch. No knots in it. My baton was another piece of pine, maybe 1-1/2" in diameter (a little thicker than the handle of the knife). The edge was against the pine at about 2" forward of the guard. I was batoning it about an inch forward of that. On the fifth whack, the blade broke. It was a clean break, straight line. This was batoning a knife with a piece of wood through another piece of wood! I don't have any photos right now, but the Bowie broke with some simple batoning.
4. I had my wife call Customer Service (I'm sick and busy with work) and explain what happened. The CS lady said that the Fusion line isn't covered by SOG's lifetime warranty and that the Fixation Bowie isn't expected to perform like a high-dollar knife. But I could send it in and they'd see if it was abused.

It does not sound like you were abusing the knife, but in order to send out a replacement we do have cretain procedures that have to followed here. We need to have the knife back, to check the hardness of the steel. There are also some other inspections that we do. Also, having a failed knife back helps us to design better products in the future.

She also mentioned the sheath, which is pretty low in quality ( my opinion). The fit and finish was poor, and the knife could be shaken out of the sheath when upside down (yes, even with the snap in place). The CS lady told her that if there was a problem with the sheath, I could order another one. I don't want to pay for another poor-quality sheath; the sheaths in the store were all of this quality. I handled six Fixation Bowies and I picked the best one of the bunch!

On the breakage: It happened exactly as I described it, and I'm really annoyed that I don't have a camera right now to get photos. I don't think batoning through pine (a pretty soft wood) is abusive or voids a warranty, especially considering this is advertised as a military-quality knife (just more affordable). Yeah, it's probably a bad heat treat, but the CS lady didn't even suggest this; it was more of an implication that I shouldn't have done that with my knife.

On the lifetime warranty: From what I've read, every Fusion product also carries SOG's lifetime warranty. If that's not true, then fine. But I'm not talking about a knife that I bought years ago and am just now having trouble with; I'm describing a knife that I bought YESTERDAY and isn't covered by a warranty.

All Fusion knives are covered under a one year warranty. Only the SOG marked products carry our lifetime warranty. For more info please see our warranty page on the SOG web site. Since you did buy it yesterday I say you can still make a claim and have the knife inspected.

As for the sheath issue, I am going to go pull a few knives from stock here and check them. Then address the findings with engineering.

I'm not swearing off SOG products, but I can guarantee I'll never buy another one of their Fusion line wares again. Hopefully Chris or somebody else can shed some light on why my Fixation Bowie is regarded as not up to the quality as the company's other goods, and why simple batoning is too much for it to handle.

Glad to hear you are not totally swearing off SOG and sorry you had a bad experience with you new knife. We do listen to customer feedback and it helps us to design better products.

Me: So, you're telling me that using any of your knives for batoning will void the warranty.
Lindsay: Yes sir.

Wow... suddenly my selling off my Tigershark doesn't seem like such a bad idea. Y'know... the one that SOG shoots with guns.

When the Fusion line was first introduced there were enough accounts of breakages that I was never drawn to it at all. This just reinforces that.

I have seen several knives break at that exact area while being batoned, where the tang starts, and I have always wondered... why there?

In batoning, it seems as though there would be almost no stress on the metal in that area. The most force would seem to be lateral pressure on the blade as it encountered differing density of wood, which I think might snap off a piece of the blade parallel to the spine, but I just cant see what is causing any stress to the metal at that particular area, unless the handle was in a vise grip while it was being done.

Last edited:
Wow, a "fun knife?" It seems to me that most of the problems with SOG lately have to do with the lady on the phone. In my opinion, this should be fixed. I also find it odd that she doesn't have a clue what batoning is, but after a very brief description says that batoning voids the warranty. Quite frankly, I think any half decent fixed blade should baton without any problems. To me, the biggest problem here seems that whoever answered the phone doesn't really know what she's talking about. The fact that Chris says the knife wasn't abused supports that the lady on the phone doesn't know much about knives.

The lesson I have learned from this is to contact Chris before calling SOG.

Well, the knife was returned and the dealer said he'd return it to SOG for warranty work. He did say that there was a darker spot right on the spine where a hairline fracture could have started, but he wasn't sure if that's what broke it.

I spoke to Chris on the phone and shared my opinions, and he was quite helpful.

Glad to hear that Chris could help. He seems to be the best guy to go to to handle SOG issues.

When the Fusion line was first introduced there were enough accounts of breakages that I was never drawn to it at all. This just reinforces that.

My sentiments too! :thumbup: Heard so much about them breaking that I was convinced never to get any of those.

To SOG: Why sacrifice the reputation you so painstakingly built up over these 20+ years to gain a little more profit from some "fun knives"? :rolleyes:

About the "lady": Seems like she is much nicer now. But why can't SOG get someone who knows a bit more about knives and their usage? C'mon man? That is the reason why other companies like Busse and Bark River are doing well. They actually have someone from the company who knows *something* about their products and their usage and can interact well with them. SOG needs to find someone like that to handle the phone calls, not some Customer Service Executive that came from XYZ University.

My experience with Lindsay aka "The Lady": First time I had a SOG issue I went through Chris who then directed me to her. We worked things fine from there. Good thing was I provided clear pictures of the issue which made describing it less tedious and easier.
Second time round I thought I could trust her to deal with her directly. Nope. She painted a picture that my knife can't be refurbished. It was after some insisting (and she talking to the warranty dept) that she agreed they could take in my SOG for sharpening.

Regarding Chris: I always, always tell people to contact Chris before they send their knives in and mention that they're a member of bladeforums but NO ONE SEEMS TO LISTEN! :grumpy:

My 2 cents. :cool:

Back