Fusion Fixation Bowie - Broke

FUN Knife...WTF?????

I have Beaten my Seal PUP through Wood and have never had any problems
I have also battoned my Seal Revolver and had no problems

To SOG: Why sacrifice the reputation you so painstakingly built up over these 20+ years to gain a little more profit from some "fun knives"? :rolleyes:

I agree, I think SOG should discontinue the Fusion line or have it made at another factory and call it Fusion 2.0 or another name. It's not doing the SOG name any good

Hmmm and I was looking at the getting a Fusion Revolver when it came out but now I'm not sure. I probably should give my bowie a little harder use than kitchen detail to see how it holds up might need to put something else in my edc bag if it cant stand some rough treatment.

I agree, I think SOG should discontinue the Fusion line or have it made at another factory and call it Fusion 2.0 or another name. It's not doing the SOG name any good

I don't think its quite that bad, as we dont know the ratio of actual sales to actual hard use to actual breakages.

But I do think that if SOG wants to send a message to their customers, they need to get rid of that lady on the phone. By far I have heard more complaints about her than actual SOG knives themselves.

SOG, you can have a great product, but in the knife business, you can rest assured that someone, somewhere is going to break one, whether it is their own fault, or a quality control issue. That is inevitable, and you should reflect that by having superior customer service, to put faith in the company behind the knife.

By having that ignorant, testy woman as your front line customer service, you are sending the message that you think that your products are so good that your customers will ever need to use your customer service, which is just untrue.

No matter how much people like the knife, they wont buy it if they have no faith in the people behind that knife, both in the past (making it) and future (warranties, repairs, etc). People like Busse for many more reasons than INFI.

Hmmm and I was looking at the getting a Fusion Revolver when it came out but now I'm not sure. I probably should give my bowie a little harder use than kitchen detail to see how it holds up might need to put something else in my edc bag if it cant stand some rough treatment.

See if you can find a SOG SEAL REVOLVER and get that one.

Check out my Reviews I did on the Seal Revolver :thumbup::thumbup:

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/845421/
http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/839448/

Dude I love Sog and have collected them for years. I just think that this fusion line is a wrong turn for them, and wish they'd get back to basics.
Again I'll never purchase something with the Fusion name on it.

Bring back the Tigershark and the Scuba/Demo!!:)

It's highly unlikely they will do that. Most probably they'll make a knife similar to that of them. Won't be profitable to reproduce it again when it is not a "fresh" product on the market you see.

BUMP, because SOG screwd me too. I bought a Flash 2 and it was defective with tremendous up and down blade play, and they refuse to fix it or even acknowlege the problem. It is at their warrantee department right now and they say sorry you were wrong about it having bladeplay, bladeplay means the knife is falling out of the handle. BULSHIT.

I now that there are SOG flash 2 owners out there who do not have up and down bladeplay so why cant mine be fixed or replaced? I can hear the blade rattle when it is open and locked. WTF Sog

I own a Seal 2000, Seal Pup, Seal pup Elite, 2 Team Leaders, the little pup (forgot its name), Seal Revolver, and the Bowie. They have all been used in outdoor situations. I have batonned and chopped hard wood with the 2000, and batoned with the Seal Pup Elite with no problems. SOG has a reputation for making tough outdoor knives. The SEAL 2000 even made it through the Navy's tough testing, right? So why on earth does SOG want to soil that reputation with poorly made Fusion knives? The Jungle Primitive is another piece of junk. Maybe the Fusion line should not carry the SOG brand on it. Just sell them at malls and flea markets under the MNFK (Mall Ninja Fun Knife) brand.

This pattern happens with so many American companies it's not even funny. They make high quality stuff here or in another country known for workmanship like Germany, Japan, ect. and that high quality stuff costs money! So to increase sales they come out with a new "class" or "line" ect. of junky stuff made in China, Taiwan, ect. Then that cheap line of products soils their name and disappoints long time customers. As a consumer I can spot this practice a mile off, so I always make sure to stick to a companies original line of products that costs more. Not the "Red" or "Hard Wear" or "Fusion" or whatever catchy name they call it cheaper line. I feel sorry for people though who probably are not as aware of this common business practice as I am. :( Just because its got the famous name stuck on it doesn't mean its good!

A follow-up to this:

Around a week ago, I was given a new Fixation Bowie by a friend, and I took it outdoors for some light (and I do mean light) work. Hacking through tomato stalks, cutting rope, and the like. No batoning or even cutting wood. Well, the thing broke. I dropped it on the ground (a thin layer of dirt over harder dirt) and the blade broke just like the one pictured. I couldn't believe it; is this knife so fragile that it will break if dropped in the dirt?!

So I called SOG's warranty department and explained what happened. It was explained to me that batoning voids the warranty. I told her:
a) that's mentioned nowhere in the warranty that came with the knife, nor on SOG's website, and
b) I said I wasn't batoning with it. I dropped it. On dirt.

She said they'd send me the relevant paperwork on why batoning voids the warranty, and that a knife like this is made in China and isn't made for hard use. I explained, again, that I didn't use the knife hard; I cut things with it briefly before dropping it in the dirt. She said that dropping the knife isn't enough to break it, and I need to send it in so they could evavluate it. At this point, I gave her my address for the paperwork on why batoning voids the warranty, and hung up.

Fast forward to today, and I got my warranty paperwork. It's the same five-page warranty statement on their website, with the following portion highlighted (the portion underlined is underlined in marker on the paperwork I received):
This guarantee is voided (as determined by SOG) by misuse, abuse, improper maintenance, or alterations of the product and does not cover any normal wear and tear that may occur.

I'm still not clear where batoning fits in here. Misuse? Abuse? How? How does batoning an outdoors knife constitute abuse? Or am I missing the point, and "as determined by SOG" is the magical phrase that makes my warranty claim void? If this is the way the company is treating warranty claims, then I consider it a big "F*** you!" to the customers.

So, what's going to happen if I decide to spend money on sending the other Bowie in? They're most likely going to look at it, tell me it was abused or misused, or that dropping it is improper maintenance or an alteration, and then charge me to send the broken knife back. Or they can say that the knife doesn't meet any of this criteria, but it was voided in some other way "as determined by SOG". Ideas?

Last edited:
Oh well at least I can sale mine and maybe get some of my money back I got in mine. Heck I've done worse than that to 12.00 stainless moras and havent broke one yet and they would faint at what I've done to my 6.00 tramontina.

Apparently half of W&SS views batoning as abusive :(

I've put my buck 119 through hell and back and actually used it an entire summer where I batoned for my wood prep every time instead of using an axe. This was my year of learning how to use the technique and the 119 never let me down. I would expect no less from SOG or any other reputable manufacturer represented here on BF. The 119 was a $40 knife at purchase, the fusion line should be expected to live up to the same standards.

BTW - despite the poor outcome of the situation and failure of two knives, I did very much appreciate Chris of SOG in responding to your post. My only hope is that SOG takes this thread seriously and re-evaluates what they are trying to accomplish by selling $30 fun knives.

thats really too bad about that. I was thinking of grabbing one but think I just might hold out for a ka-bar.

Customer service after the sale is one of the most important aspects
of the sale as far as I'm concerned. Especially during these economic
times when every dollar earned has far more value attached to it than
it did just a few short years ago.

It appears that the lady in question attaches very little importance to
the people who are responsible for her salary...the customers.

For JNieporte to get such a response from her not once, but twice,
has helped me to determine that SOG is sadly lacking in the Customer
Service department, which translates to the fact that there will be no
SOG's in my future.
This is too bad as I was going to purchase a Trident folder.
Not now though.

A great product "plus" great customer service is the formula for success.

There are many other companies out there who offer great products "and"
great service, and they are the ones that I will be spending my hard earned
money with.

Cheers

Back