1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

G-shock Why?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by shortyg83, May 1, 2014.

1. CelticCross74

CelticCross74

Oct 14, 2013
    HAHAHAHA!!! G-Shock Rangeman on the way

2. SpookStrickland

SpookStrickland

Sep 27, 2012
    Here is an awesome reason for G-Shock.

Today I was in a really nasty bathroom, blood on the toilet seat toilet unflushed freaking gross! right well I hear a thud I look over and it's my G-Shock on the floor some how it came undone and fell on the floor, it could have easily fell in the toilet, in which case I would have been like....well you been a good watch but not for a 80 dollar watch am I going to put my arm in that toilet, a Rolex.....yuck I would have been digging LOL fortunately it landed on a pretty clean chunk of tile and I recovered it.

so there you go, nice enough to wear and use but cheap enough to leave it where it falls if need be.

3. UffDa

UffDa Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 1999
    It has been a very long time since I last looked at G-Shocks, so I did some research. I am shocked. $3850 for a Casio G-Shock. :eek:
    You gotta be kidding me. I saw some for only $1000. The last time a looked an expensive one was $69.95.

4. Grouch

Grouch

Oct 28, 2005
    This doesn't convince me to get a Gshock. It implies to me that their straps aren't dependable.

5. facablade

facablade

May 23, 2009
    Strong light accurate cheap no battery autosyc time I forget of it and I know it'll be OK when needed
    :p

6. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    Indeed, that was once a weakness of a GShock. Don't know if it is any longer.

7. NaturalMystic

NaturalMystic

May 24, 2006
    I'm glad to know they've improved their straps. I remember back in the 80s I went through lots of the rubber/silicon straps because they'd rot and crack. I've Crazy Glued several together to keep me going back in the day. (Living in the Caribbean back in the pre-internet days, replacement straps were hard to come by). Also had that happen to a 5600 where the rubber around the face rotted and peeled off. That's one of the reasons I bought a stainless steel strap for my current G.

8. muphasta

muphasta

Jun 30, 2013
    I Had to replace an 80s rubber watch band within months of receiving the watch.

9. NaturalMystic

NaturalMystic

May 24, 2006
    I've bought my dad 3 5600s over the years. the first two had the bands break and the 2nd is the one I referred to previously that had the rubber on the actual watch rot and break off. I just sent him his third one last year. I hope it lasts a bit longer.

10. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    The weakest link on the GShock was the springbars. The watch could be ripped off your wrist. Has Casio fixed that?

11. medusaoblongata

medusaoblongata

May 1, 2000
    That's a problem with most watches, isn't it?

12. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    Yes, but on most watches they don't pop the way the would on a GShock. That was a problem with the GShock (crap springbars and crap engagement with the case logs). Is it still a problem?

Always amazed me Casio would make such a tough watch with such crappy springbars and springbar engagement with the lugs. More than once have I seen a soldier ruck up and pop his GShock of his wrist.

13. SilentJohn

SilentJohn

Feb 11, 2008
    I own a G-Shock GWA1100-1A3 gravity Defier . it's meant for jet fighter pilots. cost me $500 built like a tank and I love it. lets see a Rolex take the same beating or sync to the atomic clock or be solar powered or have a built in compass function. for some of us it's function over form for other we like the way it looks. I also own a pathfinder paw1500gb-1

all I know is that if I became a billionaire tomorrow I would still wear casio watches. I don't want a namby pamby watch that will scratch if I look at it wrong.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  14. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    Which is precisely why many choose automatic watches with verifiably tough movements in tough cases. That's the entire reason behind Seiko's c. 7s26 and Rolex's c. 157X automatic movements (particularly when either is in a divers case).

15. SilentJohn

SilentJohn

Feb 11, 2008
    not knocking automatics. I just choose casios with atomic timekeeping because I've become OCD about that since I got my pathfinder

though I do want a automatic for a SHTF watch that doesn't rely on electronics

16. Czechmate

Czechmate

Feb 24, 2011

You've got me pegged... :D:cool:

Proudly rocking a G-shock 3230, over a year of moderately hard service and still going. Plus, it was an anniversary gift from my wife so it's got sentiment attached to it. :thumbup:

While I enjoy the idea of a higher end watche (not disimilar to my stance on high end knives) I couldn't bear the thought of wearing something expensive on my wrist that I knew would get scratched up beat up pretty much immediately...

17. SilentJohn

SilentJohn

Feb 11, 2008
    the only non casio watch I wear is a MTM SPECIAL OPS Vulture and that's made of titanium and meant for military use

[​IMG]

built in UV and led lights
    [​IMG]

18. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    I bought this Casio nearly 30 years ago at the Fort Campbell Military Clothing Sales Store when it was still in an old WW2 shotgun clapboard building. Rarely ever wear it any more.

Casio DW340 Dive Watch
    [​IMG]

19. Grouch

Grouch

Oct 28, 2005
    What are the Gshock crystals made of? Can't the plastic cases/straps get scratched, too?

20. lobo9er

lobo9er

Jan 5, 2013
    O man i forgot about G-shock's. I was given one when I was like 15 it lasted till I was about 22-23 man tough as nails. It did finally break cant remember how but I was rediculous through those years. metal shows skate boarding, kill the carrier lol had alot of fun. HUH I think I might buy a new one.