G10 Griptilian - when?

I have to ask, with the little mini-industry that has sprung up with people making G-10 and other aftermarket scales for the Griptilian, WHEN is Benchmade going to respond to the obvious demand out there and make a Grip with G10 scales? I can only imagine how popular this will be.

There are Griptilians out there with G10, some limited edition and exclusives. There's one for sale right now that one large outdoor store is selling with green G10, green spacers, and a S30V blade.

Last edited:
Probably never. To maintain the low price point that the Griptillian is designed for it must use the less expensive synthetic scales. There would be a better chance of seeing Benchmade release a "Limited or Special Edition" with G10 scales and S30V blade, though. It would be a great and long desired addition to the Griptillian family if it ever happens. Drool...

Indeed, there have been a couple, the SHOT show of last year as well...

There are Griptilians out there G10 and some exclusives. There's one for sale right now that one large outdoor store is selling with green G10, green spacers, and a S30V blade.

Already happened.... what I want is for G-10 scales to be a permanent feature, a la the new Stryker.

Probably never. To maintain the low price point that the Griptillian is designed for it must use the less expensive synthetic scales. There would be a better chance of seeing Benchmade release a "Limited or Special Edition" with G10 scales and S30V blade, though. It would be a great and long desired addition to the Griptillian family if it ever happens. Drool...

There is one being made now as the REI limited edition Griptilian which is being discussed right now in a couple of other threads in this forum.

There is one being made now as the REI limited edition Griptilian which is being discussed right now in a couple of other threads in this forum.

Yes, very true. But he was asking if Benchmade would sell the upgraded Griptillian as a product made and promoted directly from Benchmade, not one designed, sold, and exclusive to a specific dealer/reseller.

I think the "missing" thing from Benchmade is the G10 on the Mini Grip. All of the exclusives/limited editions with g10 that I can think of are for the Full Size Grip. The little guy is being left out :(:(

Yes, very true. But he was asking if Benchmade would sell the upgraded Griptillian as a product made and promoted directly from Benchmade, not one designed, sold, and exclusive to a specific dealer/reseller.

I know, but he also said:
"There would be a better chance of seeing Benchmade release a "Limited or Special Edition" with G10 scales and S30V blade, though."
I just wanted to point out that the chance of that is 100% because it has already happened (in case he wasn't aware) and that the knife is currently available and apparently there is also a current coupon code which will bring the price of it down 20 percent to $140.

That being said, I completely agree with harris2 in his desire to have G10 scales an option on the regular production models. If it were up to me, I would like to see more options on each knife style.

For the Griptilian there is the "Customize your Griptilian" but currently it does not allow for a choice of scale material (only color). Adding a G10 option for scales to this would be a great addition for Griptilians.

But what I would really like is if they expanded this customize program to additional knifes including at least one in each general style/size/blade design group. What I mean by this is that for each design, there would be a variety of offered blade steels, scales, options, etc. For example, I could order a 940 Osborne with a D2 black coated blade and orange G10 scales. I doubt this would increase production costs that much (and even if it did they could factor this into the cost of the custom order) and IMO would greatly expand the appeal to the customer.

I think the "missing" thing from Benchmade is the G10 on the Mini Grip. All of the exclusives/limited editions with g10 that I can think of are for the Full Size Grip. The little guy is being left out :(:(

+1 to this.

I like the mini grip much more, and I would definitely be interested in a G10 mini grip. Then I could put my M4 blade on it and have a really nice combo.

For the Griptilian there is the "Customize your Griptilian" but currently it does not allow for a choice of scale material (only color). Adding a G10 option for scales to this would be a great addition for Griptilians.

This is the real problem. They should add M4 and M390 steel and a few options for G10 scales. It would undoubtedly be expensive but people who want that sort of knife should be willing to pay for it.

This is the real problem. They should add M4 and M390 steel and a few options for G10 scales. It would undoubtedly be expensive but people who want that sort of knife should be willing to pay for it.

I can see why they might leave those off. If they offered every desirable option on the griptilian to anyone, then every limited edition or exclusive would loose it's appeal. No one would buy the limited grip/mini grip, when they can go on the website and get the same thing in whatever color and configuration they want. Especially since limited edition models already cost more than standard models, it wouldn't even be cost effective to buy the exclusives over the website customs.

Or they would have to make is soo expensive that a custom grip in premium materials would break $200-250 and they wouldn't sell (well they might, but not as many).

I would like to order a custom mini grip with G10 and M390, but I don't see it happening.

^^^ Good points, however now that the minimum order quantity for LEs is 1,000 I'm not sure if we're going to be seeing the super desirable (specialized) versions as much. How many thousands of M390/G10 Grips are people willing to buy? I'd venture to guess not that many. I'd love to be wrong though :thumbup:

I bought the rei g-10 with s30v and kick my self for missing the shot show version with the m-4 blade. I would venture a guess that the next limited edition will have orange spacers and possibly g-10 too, with an m390 blade. It's would be then next Lilly step in the limited line. If they ever do make it I will buy it as soon as it was released.

I love my rei version. It is exactly the way I always wanted a griptilian. The g-10 makes it classy, but the green spacers made it somthing I had to have

I am not an economist nor an MBA but the way I see recent product trends is that an increase in options/customization is a better path towards increasing sales than the "prestige" of having fewer options.

Forbes article:

^^^ Good points, however now that the minimum order quantity for LEs is 1,000 I'm not sure if we're going to be seeing the super desirable (specialized) versions as much. How many thousands of M390/G10 Grips are people willing to buy? I'd venture to guess not that many. I'd love to be wrong though :thumbup:

Mr. Ritter could pull it off......a M390 Ritter?
I'm in! :cool:

Now I know that, on the list of impossible things that could never happen, adding "Handle Material" as an option to the Customized Griptilian program is right near the top of that list. Be that as it may, would it not be an awesome feature? (Probably not so awesome in terms of price, granted.)

I don't think they will do it. Reason being, if they do, nobody will buy anything else they make. :D

Back