• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Gary Ek is a dishonest business man and a very bad person to do knife business with.

On December 4 2012 I made a deal with Gary Ek son of knife maker John Ek to replace the cord wrap on my EK #5 bowie with hardwood scales. Our original deal was for 50$USD for the job and I pay the shipping. That was fine. I mailed away the knife which then got misplaced in Florida for a month. He found the knife at a neighbors house (so he claims) then upped the rate for the job to 100$ USD. I paid because I wanted the job done quickly. My mistake. I am messaging you all now in 2014 to tell the world I don't yet have my knife. I messaged him more times than I would care to count and he eventually stopped answering my messages. I have taken to sending him messages directly on his 2 facebook pages. That sometimes gets a response.
After more than a year of constant inquiries he told me now that my knife isn't even in his possession and the person who does have it is in Cuba on some sort of extended vacation. If he couldn't do the job then he should have told me. I would have understood.Sometimes things in life just don't work out.When I demanded the return of my knife he cited financial difficulties only to post pictures of himself yucking it up in Key West with a bunch of radio people and having a blast.:mad:
I didn't want to take this to the knife community at large but I'm done screwing around. I can and will provide all the chat logs as evidence of all my claims if required.(over a year of facebook chat logs will make for a massive post).:eek:
Spread the word to the whole knife world. Gary Ek is a bad business man. Don't deal with him.

Last edited:
So in summary: he convinced you to pay him $100 to steal your knife.

From your description of the deal I would call him a con man and thief. I don't think the extra messages are necessary to understand your side.

Always 2 sides to the story obviously. Is he a member here?

I wonder if he's done the same to others?

Last edited:
Two year old spilled milk. I'd have jumped on this much sooner, and i'm not talking about email either.

Why is your knife at a neighbor of eks home and now in Cuba on vacation with a friend of eks? Why would buddies of eks be in possession of your property? Besides all the other wrongs here..This one has me confused.

So in summary: he convinced you to pay him $100 to steal your knife.

From your description of the deal I would call him a con man and thief. I don't think the extra messages are necessary to understand your side.

Always 2 sides to the story obviously. Is he a member here?

I wonder if he's done the same to others?

I was wondering the same thing. I'll link this thread to his FB pages. He has a supposed knife business dealing with EK knives so maybe he has.
Apparently the "Buddy" has the woodworking shop where the scales are supposed to be finished.

Two year old spilled milk. I'd have jumped on this much sooner, and i'm not talking about email either.

RedDevil just for the record what could you do in his situation? Yes he waited too long but us Canadians are good trsuting people eh

I live in Canada and I don't have a passport. If it was a local thing I would have dealt with it already. He gave me a couple of excuses and I was foolish enough to give him the benefit of the doubt. I don't know if I can even go down a legal route with us in 2 separate countries.

I say there's no statute of limitations, practically speaking (as opposed to legally), with regard to having a problem with this repulsive kind of behavior, telling us that you do and asking for advice. With that said...there's probably not much to be done but thanks for sharing with/warning us.

karma will get him. this is just one of lifes little lesons. bummer for sure.i dont think the legal route will give you satisfaction.but rest assured that what gos around comes around. i wouldnt want to be him

RedDevil just for the record what could you do in his situation? Yes he waited too long but us Canadians are good trsuting people eh

Registered letters, postal inspectors, etc. There is a ton of avenues available, they might not all yield results, but I would be in full pursuit if someone ripped me off. I'd have looked into speaking with Canadian postal inspectors, customs, everyone that would be willing to listen to me. He is apparently available live on the radio in Key West, he is also on LinkedIn.

In case anyone wants to buy a knife from these guys:
https://www.facebook.com/JohnEkKnives
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1188451231446&set=o.209531373488&type=1&relevant_count=1
http://keysnews.com/node/36781
http://keywestshow.wordpress.com/tag/gary-ek/

Like many other times in this long, sad tale Gary has seen this thread and told me "The knife is close to being completed". Having heard that before so I'm not holding my breath.

RedDevil, Canada post has no jurisdiction in America. Once a package passes through customs it's not their problem. Then once a package is delivered it isn't the USPSs problem either. Key West has a police service with a delightful website linked to their city counsels site. Can someone file a police report from another country online?

It would appear that Ek is a "radio personality" in Key West.

https://www.facebook.com/KeyWestRocksOnTheX

Engineer, Producer, Host at WXKW 104.9 The X Key West
Creator & Engineer at Southernmost Media Key West Show
Producer at Ek Video Productions
Past
Video Assist Tech. / Playback Operator at Celestine Prophecy (the movie)
Sound / Audio Engineer at Addison Fitzgerald Studios, Inc
Assist Operator, Video Editor, Photography Assistant at Professional Audio Servicesl
Education University of Miami

I wonder if the station and the radio listeners know what he does - and does not - in his spare time.

If they frequent his Gwecko Facebook page they should. That's where I message him. Right on his main page.

I have e-mailed the Key West police force with my problem. I'm waiting for a reply.

Good call, I for one and happy to see you fighting for what is right. Times like this I wish we had more resources to offer folks in your situation. At the end of the day, what is right is right, and you weren't treated right. There should be some repercussions for businesses that treat customers this way.

Back