Gayle Bradley Hard Use

I had a brief love affair with the GB2 before going back to the GB1. They lost the essence of the GB1 when they made the sequel. Not just because of liner thickness. Subtleties like the sound of lockup and the sound of the blade shutting. I think at the least, Spyderco should have taken the cost savings of the GB2 and put nicer scales on it. Rather than lower the cost.

The GB1 is the beefiest knife I own. It totally blows my mind that I went this long without it.

When I think of tough, thick, heavy folders, I never dreamed the GB1 would be a contender for such description. It is. Gayle Bradley was not kidding around when he designed it.

The GB1 is the beefiest knife I own. It totally blows my mind that I went this long without it.

When I think of tough, thick, heavy folders, I never dreamed the GB1 would be a contender for such description. It is. Gayle Bradley was not kidding around when he designed it.

You know what's worse? Having had a couple of them, selling both, and going for a few years without one. The solid-liner one I have inbound should fix that. Until then, here's some that I used to have:

You know what's worse? Having had a couple of them, selling both, and going for a few years without one.

Amen to that. I miss these often...

0h5JUWVl.jpg

Thanks FP, I don't feel quite as bad after seeing your pic - some real beauties there.

OM and FP....those are some real beauties.

I don't think I could get rid of mine. If I had more than one, then yeah, I could see it.

I've been decimating some wood from the backyard, but nothing too hard.

I hear you! Many do not know its potential. I was one of them. Its a sleeper, a wolf in sheep's clothing. The James Bond of Knives! Some of the characteristics I also like about it and which stopped me from purchasing Hinderer XM18 and CRK Subenza 21 is it actually slices! The 3mm blade stock is perfect. And the liners and lockbar cut out, my goodness. Stronger than ZT0550. Incredible. In so many respects this knife is a dream come true to me. Cant wait till mine turns up from the US :thumbup:

You know what's worse? Having had a couple of them, selling both, and going for a few years without one. The solid-liner one I have inbound should fix that. Until then, here's some that I used to have:

I like your handle. I guess it gives it good penetrating ability now?
Where do you find custom stuff for the GB? I thought of putting Ti pins in it.

Dang, this thread keeps popping up again and again. Just got a mantra2 from a really nice deal but the gb was sort of the first high cost knife from spyderco that caught my eye when I got into knives. Mind you, at that time they were selling for 300€+. So now that they are somewhat available and more reasonably priced I always come back to looking for one but always hesitate...
Beautiful knife!

Dang, this thread keeps popping up again and again. Just got a mantra2 from a really nice deal but the gb was sort of the first high cost knife from spyderco that caught my eye when I got into knives. Mind you, at that time they were selling for 300€+. So now that they are somewhat available and more reasonably priced I always come back to looking for one but always hesitate...
Beautiful knife!

I hesitated too.....for a long time, thinking I would regret or realize a mistake. I've had my GB1 for about 2 weeks now......it has not left my pocket since. Indoors, outdoors, running on the track (yep), work, playing with it while watching tv. I'm serious.....this knife is awesome!!!

My PM2 might be very jealous right now but I wouldn't know. It's in the knife drawer.

I hesitated too.....for a long time, thinking I would regret or realize a mistake. I've had my GB1 for about 2 weeks now......it has not left my pocket since. Indoors, outdoors, running on the track (yep), work, playing with it while watching tv. I'm serious.....this knife is awesome!!!

My PM2 might be very jealous right now but I wouldn't know. It's in the knife drawer.

I found my GB1 pitted just by carrying it in my pocket, with a bit of sweating. It's on the polished edge bevel. I can't believe it :eek:
What do you use to prevent the rust?

Well, I have not experienced the rust/pitting on my M4 steel yet. It's still new. I have been using it for everything though lately. But I have a feeling it won't be a big problem for me. We will see, fingers crossed. I have many knives in 1095 (yep and some pocket knives with 1095 blades) and while I've had patina develop there has never been rust or pitting on those blades.

I don't do anything special to them, just a really good wipe down after use, keep them dry as much as possible. Unless they are extremely gunky I won't rinse them with water either. My PM2 has withstood daily fruit cuttings with nary a sign it did so, because I don't leave the juice on the blade.

I rarely oil the pivots unless they absolutely need it as well, as oil will attract dirt and dust and pocket lint.

I'd say, if you sweat a lot a daily wipe down is in order. Keep em dry.

YMMV

Last edited:
Chris "Anagarika";15944583 said:
I found my GB1 pitted just by carrying it in my pocket, with a bit of sweating. It's on the polished edge bevel. I can't believe it :eek:

Mine is still too new for anything like that. But for any of the knives I carry on a regular basis (or just occasional maint on stored knives), I keep an old oil rag handy for regular blade and gun wipe down. I've been carrying my GB since I got it, and it's been fairly wet and humid for the last few weeks. I have really high hopes for the M4, and it certainly carries and amazing edge....wow.

Thanks. I try to keep it dry & clean.
It might be dust + humidity, I don't know. Will keep an eye on a. I really like the ergos & edge bitiness (if there's such word).

Chris "Anagarika";15944583 said:

My GB air is the only knife I've ever had pit on me in 10 hours. It was in my pocket carried in a form fitted thin leather sheath. I was soaking wet with sweat all day long, along with the sheath and knife. One of the rare days I didn't use the knife.
The blade had very tiny rusty pits in it. After cleaning it up, it looks like it has been center punched all over the blade with a needle.
I have a lot of non stainless knives that have seen the same, or worse, and never experienced anything like this with any of them.

I made a thicker sheath and now check it occasionally to make sure it's not soaked, and wipe the blade. No problems since.

Received GB1 w' solid liners today, and I am SO pleased with it. The action is ridiculous it is so smooth and light, yet there is zero play (side-to-side) even while blade is partially open, and lockup is the proverbial bank vault. I actually prefer the heft of the original non-drilled liner version, and this blade is so perfect.

The only knife I've had any regular rust is on my Izula2, but so far only on the edge as the coating is still in great shape. Tried the regulars tricks, but no luck. I occasionally polish off and try out different coatings and inhibitors. But still end up with rust, just varying degrees of quantity and timeframe. I don't have any issues with the Candiru or Izula (Reg), and they see much more use than the II. Nor do I have issues with any of my other 1095's or 1095CroVan's. Traditional patina yes, but the Izzy2 just gets patches of orange rust right on the pretty beveled edge. I did partially polish (refine) the edge, and quite possibly wore in some mystery steel particles before I knew better about cleaning up between extreme steel differences.

So I'll be watching out for my M4, D2, and others.

Some days are just plain better than others... Monday I had to bury my cat who died (peacefully, thank God) in my arms - not a fun day. Yesterday (Tuesday) my 25 yr old son and my younger brother and I drove to Detroit to see Iron Maiden (Book of Souls tour). My carry was the new-to-me original solid-liner config GB1. Could have sworn I had put it in the glove. Set the detector off, was wanded by security; he said must be my belt buckle. Half way through the show I realized the Gayle Bradley was in my rfp. :eek:

Back