Gear Thread

I came 'this' close to ordering another knife today, for no good reason. I then I reminded myself I need a new pack for some backpacking trips this Spring, that can ideally do double-duty as my new hunting pack. Eberlestock 'Renegade' pack incoming. 😉

I like Eberlestock's packs. I have their "Warhammer" pack and have been pretty happy with it.

Yeah, I have a few other pieces of gear from them, incl. a smaller daypack (the "Bandit") and have been very impressed with all of it. The 'Warhammer' looks awesome as well. :thumbsup:

I like the thought that has gone into Eberlestock's modular platforms. There are a few "plugins" that I am considering to expand on the Warhammer.

I've been considering getting a new daypack; my trusty 5.11 is starting to show some wear on it. I've been considering another 5.11 or even Maxpedition but I might just stick with Eberlestock. You get a lot of bang for your buck with them.

I like the thought that has gone into Eberlestock's modular platforms. There are a few "plugins" that I am considering to expand on the Warhammer.

I've been considering getting a new daypack; my trusty 5.11 is starting to show some wear on it. I've been considering another 5.11 or even Maxpedition but I might just stick with Eberlestock. You get a lot of bang for your buck with them.

My old 5.11 is done

Really been eyeing a vanquest addax 25

My old 5.11 is done

Really been eyeing a vanquest addax 25

I have two 5.11 packs. One of them is very "tactical" looking and I usually use that one for campouts, range days, etc. It's super tough and still going strong but it's a little big for an everyday bag. The other 5.11 pack I have is one that I don't think they make anymore and is a bit more civilian friendly (🤷‍♂️). It's a better EDC bag and is laptop/book friendly and has a million compartments (positive and negative, I guess). That's the bag that is starting to wear around the bottom and the carry handle.

I hadn't heard of the Vanquest bags, I'll check them out.

I mentioned a while back I was thinking about some sort of case to be used for organizing my lights/comms/electronics for road trips, backcountry explorations, etc. I wanted something that offered solid protection from the abuse of being thrown around in the truck, at camps, etc. I was originally thinking of just getting a basic Apache or Peli case and fitting it out, but then I came across the "Ruck" series from Pelican, and it looked like the Ruck 60 might fit the bill. It arrived today, and I started playing around with it, and the initial impression is that I think it's pretty much exactly what I wanted:

JRWSY4.jpg

Interior with the slotted tray in place:

kPFPWv.jpg

Tray removed accesses more storage underneath:

L5cGq9.jpg

Space to store cords, etc. behind the removable rubber netting:

UUSkTk.jpg

I mentioned a while back I was thinking about some sort of case to be used for organizing my lights/comms/electronics for road trips, backcountry explorations, etc. I wanted something that offered solid protection from the abuse of being thrown around in the truck, at camps, etc. I was originally thinking of just getting a basic Apache or Peli case and fitting it out, but then I came across the "Ruck" series from Pelican, and it looked like the Ruck 60 might fit the bill. It arrived today, and I started playing around with it, and the initial impression is that I think it's pretty much exactly what I wanted:

JRWSY4.jpg

Interior with the slotted tray in place:

kPFPWv.jpg

Tray removed accesses more storage underneath:

L5cGq9.jpg

Space to store cords, etc. behind the removable rubber netting:

UUSkTk.jpg
IN ! 🤣 Seriously, that modularity is great. Where did you get it from ? Thanks for sharing.

Appreciation to Hammer67 Hammer67 for the Pelican R60 Ruck recommendation. I have other hard cases in this size range but none that are compartmentalized like the Ruck.

Also and maybe it’s just me, but I despise plucking and cutting foam to custom fit gear in a case. Often, the case ends up being useful only for the guns, knives, or gear that ya bought it for. When one decides to change the contents, he’s basically screwed and searching for new foam or a new case.

The Ruck also fits nicely in a medium pack. To me, this is profound in that a large amount of small gear can be kept in the case. (I.e. spare batteries, extra tools, etc.) This frees up external pockets for more critically accessible gear like first-aid supplies, gps or compass, glasses, etc. I’m really enjoying this new addition to the kit and look forward to its future use.

The pics shown are the result of throwing a handful of shit in a bag for a 300 mile last minute road trip. When we get home, the Ruck will be dialed in more and carried regularly.IMG_5111.jpegIMG_5113.jpeg

Also and maybe it’s just me, but I despise plucking and cutting foam to custom fit gear in a case. Often, the case ends up being useful only for the guns, knives, or gear that ya bought it for. When one decides to change the contents, he’s basically screwed and searching for new foam or a new case.

I'm 100% with you. I hate customizing foam and then having a container that doesn't work other things. And sure, you could buy additional foam sets for the box, but who really wants to do that?

I recently saw that Magpul is offering inserts for various Pelican long gun cases that are kind of like foam Legos, and you can easily change them around. I hope that idea trickles down into other, smaller types of cases as well.

The Ruck also fits nicely in a medium pack. To me, this is profound in that a large amount of small gear can be kept in the case. (I.e. spare batteries, extra tools, etc.) This frees up external pockets for more critically accessible gear like first-aid supplies, gps or compass, glasses, etc. I’m really enjoying this new addition to the kit and look forward to its future use.

The pics shown are the result of throwing a handful of shit in a bag for a 300 mile last minute road trip. When we get home, the Ruck will be dialed in more and carried regularly.View attachment 2465493View attachment 2465494

Glad you're liking the Ruck60 as well. I think it's a great storage solution that can obviously fill lots of different roles. I'm thinking about picking up a R40 at some point as well. :thumbsup:

Well first I ordered from them and got the confirmation email then an hour later they sent an email saying that it was canceled by their fraud detection system. So I tried again and got the confirmation email and then just got another saying that I left the item in my cart. I’ve got two requests for help in to them but they must take weekends off.

Back