GEC 25s - Gots 'em?

So, as I mentioned earlier, I received my #25 in Red Sawcut Bone today. When I put this on reserve, I did so with no small amount of hesitation. Though aesthetically pleasing in all of the pictures I've seen of this pattern, I was somewhat concerned about the size. I was worried that it might end up being too small. However, I figured if for whatever reason it did not suit me, then it would make a fine gift for my wife. Plus, this pattern is undoubtedly popular and I felt I would be doing myself a disservice if I did not, at the very least, give it a try.

With that said, I wanted to get to my initial impressions. New knife days are always great days and today was no exception. I live 5 minutes away from my office so I usually take my lunch breaks at home, plus it gives me the opportunity to take advantage of any exciting new packages that might be waiting for me. After going home, finding the box in my mailbox, and running inside, I promptly opened it up and found the telltale tube inside. I opened it up, unwrapped the knife, and took a few moments to inspect and assess. My first thought was, "My, oh my, isn't this a cute wee nubbin of a knife?", my second thought was more one of dismay, "It is awfully small...."

However, as I did not have a lot of time before I was expecting my better half to arrive, I packaged the knife back up with the intent to bring it to the office with me where I could play with it whilst staring at endless streams of code.

This afternoon found me handling it quite a bit, getting a general feel for it and just plain looking at it. It is undoubtedly a handsome little guy and I found myself not regretting my newest acquisition one bit. It has a heft that belies its small stature and though I still think it a wee bit small for me, I could still see myself putting this knife to work with no issues whatsoever. As is what appears to be the norm with these little guys, the pull is nice and stout, the half stop is nice and crisp, and the general walk and talk, though a bit soft, is not displeasing. A bit of a flush will make it even better, I think.

I've gotten used to the pinchable nature of my recent carries so the fact that this one is not anywhere close to being so has confused my muscle memory in a sense. However, the long pull is easily accessible and I have a stout thumbnail, all is well. I think the spear blade is well executed, it is thin and definitely "slicey" but I do think I would have preferred a sheepfoot blade. A matter of preference really, perhaps on the next run.

All in all, I am happy with the purchase. I think that though I could certainly get to really like this knife, I am still going to make a gift of it to my wife. I am putting together a nice anniversary package and I think the knife with one of my own handmade knife slips will make a nice addition to it. Though she will probably like the other stuff more, she enjoys when I make some attempt to include her in my hobbies. Or at least, I like to tell myself that :D. We celebrate our 13th anniversary on the 21st, same day as this blasted eclipse that we are going get hammered with...

Anyway, no knife review, big or small, is worth its salt unless there are pictures! Enjoy!

QxiuS4u.jpg

3Chr8i3.jpg

3OmFgrR.jpg

Er57PS7.jpg

vM6TRRR.jpg
Great review and fantastic photos:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Received the three Northfields today to go along with others from this run, really liking the ironwood...

w8pNHl5.jpg

Good looking group you've got there! :thumbsup:

So, as I mentioned earlier, I received my #25 in Red Sawcut Bone today. When I put this on reserve, I did so with no small amount of hesitation. Though aesthetically pleasing in all of the pictures I've seen of this pattern, I was somewhat concerned about the size. I was worried that it might end up being too small. However, I figured if for whatever reason it did not suit me, then it would make a fine gift for my wife. Plus, this pattern is undoubtedly popular and I felt I would be doing myself a disservice if I did not, at the very least, give it a try.

With that said, I wanted to get to my initial impressions. New knife days are always great days and today was no exception. I live 5 minutes away from my office so I usually take my lunch breaks at home, plus it gives me the opportunity to take advantage of any exciting new packages that might be waiting for me. After going home, finding the box in my mailbox, and running inside, I promptly opened it up and found the telltale tube inside. I opened it up, unwrapped the knife, and took a few moments to inspect and assess. My first thought was, "My, oh my, isn't this a cute wee nubbin of a knife?", my second thought was more one of dismay, "It is awfully small...."

However, as I did not have a lot of time before I was expecting my better half to arrive, I packaged the knife back up with the intent to bring it to the office with me where I could play with it whilst staring at endless streams of code.

This afternoon found me handling it quite a bit, getting a general feel for it and just plain looking at it. It is undoubtedly a handsome little guy and I found myself not regretting my newest acquisition one bit. It has a heft that belies its small stature and though I still think it a wee bit small for me, I could still see myself putting this knife to work with no issues whatsoever. As is what appears to be the norm with these little guys, the pull is nice and stout, the half stop is nice and crisp, and the general walk and talk, though a bit soft, is not displeasing. A bit of a flush will make it even better, I think.

I've gotten used to the pinchable nature of my recent carries so the fact that this one is not anywhere close to being so has confused my muscle memory in a sense. However, the long pull is easily accessible and I have a stout thumbnail, all is well. I think the spear blade is well executed, it is thin and definitely "slicey" but I do think I would have preferred a sheepfoot blade. A matter of preference really, perhaps on the next run.

All in all, I am happy with the purchase. I think that though I could certainly get to really like this knife, I am still going to make a gift of it to my wife. I am putting together a nice anniversary package and I think the knife with one of my own handmade knife slips will make a nice addition to it. Though she will probably like the other stuff more, she enjoys when I make some attempt to include her in my hobbies. Or at least, I like to tell myself that :D. We celebrate our 13th anniversary on the 21st, same day as this blasted eclipse that we are going get hammered with...

Anyway, no knife review, big or small, is worth its salt unless there are pictures! Enjoy!

QxiuS4u.jpg

3Chr8i3.jpg

3OmFgrR.jpg

Er57PS7.jpg

vM6TRRR.jpg

Great review! I was a bit concerned about the size of these WLSTs when I first ordered a couple from the last run (late 2015, I think?), but after carrying them a bit, I've grown quite fond of this pattern. I have one with a sheepsfoot, but I prefer the spear. (The sheepsfoot on these, when closed, sits way too high for my taste.) I actually prefer the nail nick spear to the long pull, as well, because the position of the nail nick makes it a bit easier to manage the strong pull on these knives.

Here are the #25's I've picked up from this run so far. (I'm expecting one more, the buffed stag, but figured I'd post a couple photos in the meantime.)

Tidioutes:

MdH3qbD.jpg

Northfields:

kR9WcBk.jpg

Surprisingly, I like the Burlap Micarta much more than I expected I would. Even though it isn't highly polished, and is too dark to really see the detail in the material, I find the overall aesthetic of the knife quite pleasing. It looks (and feels) like a working man's knife. You'll also notice that the UN-X-LD stamp on the satin bolster looks much deeper and more crisp than the stamp on the high-polished bolster.

Nice job Dylan! Great pics! I trip over my own words so I will just leave this picture here. :)
ZH7B49o.jpg

Great review and fantastic photos:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks guys! You both have some great examples and great pictures too.

Good looking group you've got there! :thumbsup:

Great review! I was a bit concerned about the size of these WLSTs when I first ordered a couple from the last run (late 2015, I think?), but after carrying them a bit, I've grown quite fond of this pattern. I have one with a sheepsfoot, but I prefer the spear. (The sheepsfoot on these, when closed, sits way too high for my taste.) I actually prefer the nail nick spear to the long pull, as well, because the position of the nail nick makes it a bit easier to manage the strong pull on these knives.

Here are the #25's I've picked up from this run so far. (I'm expecting one more, the buffed stag, but figured I'd post a couple photos in the meantime.)

Tidioutes:

MdH3qbD.jpg

Northfields:

kR9WcBk.jpg

Surprisingly, I like the Burlap Micarta much more than I expected I would. Even though it isn't highly polished, and is too dark to really see the detail in the material, I find the overall aesthetic of the knife quite pleasing. It looks (and feels) like a working man's knife. You'll also notice that the UN-X-LD stamp on the satin bolster looks much deeper and more crisp than the stamp on the high-polished bolster.

I appreciate your thoughts on the pattern, some of them certainly hit home for me. One thing I forgot to mention and I'm glad you brought it up. If I were to have one gripe, it would be that the bolster stamp is rather shallow, more so towards the top, probably due to the polishing process on the other Northfield examples versus the satin finish on the burlap.

Great pictures and lovely knives for sure.

Got my 25 sawcut red in today. Makes a great little bro to my 77 sawcut red Barlow. After looking at all the pics here, I think I'm going to hit the bolsters with a Scotchbrite pad. I really like the satin finish.

I assume he is photographing them individually for us to choose from. This is the one I have been most excited for.

I assume he is photographing them individually for us to choose from. This is the one I have been most excited for.

Sorry, no selection. It would take me a week to do that and I simply do not have the manpower. GEC shipped the majority of them Tuesday, we should have them today.

Sorry, no selection. It would take me a week to do that and I simply do not have the manpower. GEC shipped the majority of them Tuesday, we should have them today.
Being buffed out stag, these are probably not so different one from another.

Well I dropped my unicorn ivory acrylic 25 butt end first on the floor from shoulder height today. Thankfully, it didn't shatter like it had been suggested it might. The gap doesn't seem to have worsened from the fall either. Maybe the ivory acrylic isn't so fragile after all!

Were there any cool "parts" 25s at the big shindig this past weekend?

I didn't see any? But I've been known to miss patterns so near to me that, were they bears, I'da been BIT. There were definitely first-quality and Store Knives from the current run, but if any others were afoot I missed them.

-- In a brilliant bit o' marketing strategery, GEC is no longer calling the short(est) run knives made from leftovers "Parts Knives." They are now 'Factory Specials' complete with their own Factory Special Assembly label! ;)

img_7190-jpg.749854

photo credit: @Augie

I just received my Northwoods Little Bay in Burlap Micarta. The F&F and the W&T are as good as it gets. I chose the burlap because it was something unlike anything I own and I'm not disappointed. The texture feels polished so there are no rough spots. My only regret now is not getting a denim also.
View attachment 749998

What a beaut! Interesting, how differen the KSF burlap looks from that on the Collector Knives SFO. Hunh.

Just imagine how good they'd be with a drop point blade.

I wonder if the notion of a drop point blade would prove as compelling were it ubiquitous? I prefer a more centralized point in use, and more there there, visually.

Only one I got in this run is the Pioneer bone, nice looking knife.

View attachment 750417

That's one way to put things in perspective! :D

So very fine.

That is indeed a wonderful looking knife. I like the Northwoods about equally to the Tidioutes and NFs, but that denim micarta is extra special. Especially on the patterns that are a bit wider.

Wider, or at least, flatter. I don't care for how most denim/blue jean micarta looks on more contoured handles, the patterned striations that arise. Flat-cut as on this knife and one of the sod buster derivations? Perfection.

Received the three Northfields today to go along with others from this run, really liking the ironwood...

w8pNHl5.jpg

Um, whoa.

Such a stunning array!

Well, it didn't take long to get the first marks on my just arrived 25. Butterfingers! I dropped it off my back porch, blade open onto the rocks below :eek:... thankfully the bolster took the damage and not the blade. View attachment 750843

I did this to my very first GEC, within a day or so of receiving it. I was looking at the knife in the car while waiting for a son to finish sports practice, later got up and out of the car without remembering that the knife was on my lap, and dropped it head-first onto asphalt, incurring a sharp-edged gouge. ARRRRGGGGH! With the help of good folks such as those who are advising you, I was at least able to buff away the sharp edges.... Ack.

(You probably are already aware of this, but careful around the bolster stamping. It's not that deep, and buffing will alter it prematurely.)

I'm a tad concerned about my Unicorn Ivory Acrylic. The gap seems to have grown a bit since I first got it and the pin is a bit sunken, enough to feel the hole.

mi24xg0.jpg

Is this something that is likely to get worse, or stop and stay the same?

I talked with Bill Howard about the issues with the Unicorn material, and he spoke specifically about the potential for gapping between the spring and the scale. [I don't quite understand the Science behind it, but the less dense acrylic leads to the knife tending towards pulling itself apart.] My example doesn't exhibit much if any gap, but yours sure does! He said the knives (Store knives, not first-quality) shouldn't get worse unless exposed to prolonged, direct heat, but it looks like your knife is begging to differ. :(

~ P.

BTW: My polished stag 25 is now paid for and on it's way to me. Of course, no choosing available. I'm sure I will like it:):)

Back