GEC #35 Churchill Thread

I'm envious of the deeply grooved bone on some of these Churchills. Mine has but one thick groove with a few smaller ones, but I kind of like it; almost has a well-worn look going on.

IMG_20171208_151253.jpg
The pile side is quite nice
IMG_20171208_141122.jpg

What really impresses me is how well the shield is seated; no visible gaps at all despite being situated in a groove.

Barking Up the Right Tree :D:D

KoHhlDy.jpg
This almost looks like Queens winter bottom bone. Great looking Churchill:thumbsup:

I'm envious of the deeply grooved bone on some of these Churchills. Mine has but one thick groove with a few smaller ones, but I kind of like it; almost has a well-worn look going on.

View attachment 810896
The pile side is quite nice
View attachment 810898

What really impresses me is how well the shield is seated; no visible gaps at all despite being situated in a groove.

That's actually my favorite of the Cougar Clawed that I've seen. I have had a handful of burnt orange stainless #15s, and the jigging on them (which is very similar to the cougar claw jigging) varied in depth. The one that is with me has shallower, well worn looking grooves. I think it depends on the particular slab of bone, and if there is a slight imperfection or not that they have to buff down a bit.

That's actually my favorite of the Cougar Clawed that I've seen. I have had a handful of burnt orange stainless #15s, and the jigging on them (which is very similar to the cougar claw jigging) varied in depth. The one that is with me has shallower, well worn looking grooves. I think it depends on the particular slab of bone, and if there is a slight imperfection or not that they have to buff down a bit.
That makes sense. Honestly I didnt care for it at first, simply because I was expecting deeper grooves, but this one has grown on me for sure. I love the look of old pocket-worn bone and this almost has that.

On a side note, the dark areas of this bone is taking on a nice matte finish, which I've never had happen with smooth bone. I'm wondering if this has something to do with the "burnt" part?

It just occurred to me that it was named Churchill for a reason, but it just hit me.

Cigar pattern single spring clip versions.
53 pattern TK Cuban (as in habano stogie)
68 Pattern White Owl (cigar brand)
35 Pattern Churchill is a cigar size/style

Will Power Will Power and Half/Stop Half/Stop might dig this too.

I don't think we've seen this yet, but here are all three. Took some intent hunting to find the TK (and I'm lucky enough to have another on the way behind this one.)

24127055587_dc9f6894c4_c.jpg

38955052112_a57da5d30a_c.jpg

Appears that the only dimension reduced to arrive at the 35 from the 53 is length. All 3 are some of the smoothest I own from GEC. The pulls on the 68 are either 4.5 main/5 secondary or 5 main/5.5 secondary; 35 are 5 main and might as well be 5 on the secondary, the difference is so negligible; 53 are 5.5 main and 6.5 secondary.

I don't think we've seen this yet, but here are all three. Took some intent hunting to find the TK (and I'm lucky enough to have another on the way behind this one.)

Appears that the only dimension reduced to arrive at the 35 from the 53 is length. All 3 are some of the smoothest I own from GEC. The pulls on the 68 are either 4.5 main/5 secondary or 5 main/5.5 secondary; 35 are 5 main and might as well be 5 on the secondary, the difference is so negligible; 53 are 5.5 main and 6.5 secondary.
Congratulations on that elusive trio!:)

And to be honest, for me, if the TK had the Churchill's secondary, I don't believe a more perfect knife could be made. I need to find a white owl with Clip main, so that I can get the total picture though. I have a number of TK's and the copperhead jigged bone just feels different than the wood or stag versions. It is the thinnest cover material of the bunch and I just love that knife. That being said, I've been pocketing the Churchill in maroon micarta (thx @Stropping Young Lad ) for a few weeks and the sheep secondary is preferred. I just like the 53's overall dimensions a little better.

And to be honest, for me, if the TK had the Churchill's secondary, I don't believe a more perfect knife could be made. I need to find a white owl with Clip main, so that I can get the total picture though. I have a number of TK's and the copperhead jigged bone just feels different than the wood or stag versions. It is the thinnest cover material of the bunch and I just love that knife. That being said, I've been pocketing the Churchill in maroon micarta for a few
weeks and the sheep secondary is preferred. I just like the 53's overall dimensions a little better.

I totally agree, I love these 35s , but, finally getting a TK Cuban I realize that the larger size makes it preferable. I would love for them to make another run of TKs with a sheeps foot secondary, I agree that it would be perfect.

And to be honest, for me, if the TK had the Churchill's secondary, I don't believe a more perfect knife could be made. I need to find a white owl with Clip main, so that I can get the total picture though. I have a number of TK's and the copperhead jigged bone just feels different than the wood or stag versions. It is the thinnest cover material of the bunch and I just love that knife. That being said, I've been pocketing the Churchill in maroon micarta (thx @Stropping Young Lad ) for a few weeks and the sheep secondary is preferred. I just like the 53's overall dimensions a little better.

I totally agree, I love these 35s , but, finally getting a TK Cuban I realize that the larger size makes it preferable. I would love for them to make another run of TKs with a sheeps foot secondary, I agree that it would be perfect.

During my raving searches, I stumbled upon a sales thread and maybe a show off thread in the regular forum where someone chopped off the belly of the TK pen blade, making it a sheepsfoot. I've been considering doing the same, and to the white owl, too.

And you're right, the copperhead Jigged Bone on the 53 is almost thinner than the bolsters. I've got an Ebony on the way, we'll see how that one feels. My favorite in hand is the ebony Churchill.

Reading all these endorsements of the Churchill has me wondering why the 2016 Bladeforums knife or the CC Harness Jack didn't get the same level of praise. I had a CC Harness Jack but never warmed to it and sold it, and now I can't quite decide whether to follow the herd and buy an ebony Churchill.

Reading all these endorsements of the Churchill has me wondering why the 2016 Bladeforums knife or the CC Harness Jack didn't get the same level of praise. I had a CC Harness Jack but never warmed to it and sold it, and now I can't quite decide whether to follow the herd and buy an ebony Churchill.
It was the same for me. I liked the size and shape of the Drover but I didn't have much use for the punch and although I like spear blades, the one on the Drover just wasn't my cup of tea.

I think the reason that the Churchill is so popular, at least for me, is that I've carried a Stockman of some type for most of my life. The Stockman had the two blades that I used and needed the most. There were a few knives available with only clip and sheepsfoot blades but none of those really appealed to me. As a result, the Stockman was the most practical way for me to have the two blades that I use the most. The trade off was that it had an extra blade that I didn't really need.

I'm a sucker for equal end knives and when the Churchill came along it turned out to be the knife I had been waiting for. Perfect size and shape with everything that I need and nothing that I don't.

I recommend that you try one out. Especially if you like Stockmans for the same reasons I mentioned above.

traumkommode traumkommode said, During my raving searches, I stumbled upon a sales thread and maybe a show off thread in the regular forum where someone chopped off the belly of the TK pen blade, making it a sheepsfoot. I've been considering doing the same, and to the white owl, too.

I actually had a cocobolo that a previous owner had made the pen into a cope. Never warmed to it. Look at your comparison pics of the three size Cuban pens above, look at the shallow height of the TK pen vs. Proper proportion of the Churchill sheep. You will end up with a cut off pen that turns down at the edge of the nail nick, and it never will feel correct.

You'll find the wood handled TK to be the widest handle material on the Tks. Unless someone has a fat stag version, but most of the TK stags were thin hourglass or even. If you end up not liking what you cone up with in the TK dept, please let me know.

Camillus Camillus and Railsplitter Railsplitter

Why I prefer the Churchill over the drover-i don't like spear main blades near as much as a clip. For me, the Drover punch was used as a makeshift straight blade for tasks that require such, so the Churchill's clip and secondary sheep superseded the blade selection found on the Drover, for how I use a knife.

Notice I rave about the TK and suggest that a sheepsfoot secondary would have been my preference, but I rarely mention the Northwoods Presidential that has the modified sheep secondary? Because I could not warm up to the spear main. That's just my preference. I like clip main. I also am not too fond of the chamfered bolsters on that model. I guess a person that prefers a spear main, super thin, diversified two blade, long pen knife configuration, probably found a grail in the Northwoods Presidential.

Last edited:
I haven't been carrying this knife but a few months and I'm surprised how fast the bone covers are changing. Not only are they smoothing out but the brown is lightening up quite a bit.
Here's the knife the day I received it compared to a recent glamour shot:
IMG_20171211_220936.jpg IMG_20171210_121422.jpg
Although its wearing faster than I'm used to I'm not complaining. I'm liking the color changes and am wondering how much more this is going to progress. This is why I love natural cover materials :)

Really starting to like the looks of the cougar clawed bone. One of these could easily push my Calf Pen out of my pocket. Classier looking but still has work knife traits.

traumkommode traumkommode said, During my raving searches, I stumbled upon a sales thread and maybe a show off thread in the regular forum where someone chopped off the belly of the TK pen blade, making it a sheepsfoot. I've been considering doing the same, and to the white owl, too.

I actually had a cocobolo that a previous owner had made the pen into a cope. Never warmed to it. Look at your comparison pics of the three size Cuban pens above, look at the shallow height of the TK pen vs. Proper proportion of the Churchill sheep. You will end up with a cut off pen that turns down at the edge of the nail nick, and it never will feel correct.

You'll find the wood handled TK to be the widest handle material on the Tks. Unless someone has a fat stag version, but most of the TK stags were thin hourglass or even. If you end up not liking what you cone up with in the TK dept, please let me know.

Camillus Camillus and Railsplitter Railsplitter

Why I prefer the Churchill over the drover-i don't like spear main blades near as much as a clip. For me, the Drover punch was used as a makeshift straight blade for tasks that require such, so the Churchill's clip and secondary sheep superseded the blade selection found on the Drover, for how I use a knife.

Notice I rave about the TK and suggest that a sheepsfoot secondary would have been my preference, but I rarely mention the Northwoods Presidential that has the modified sheep secondary? Because I could not warm up to the spear main. That's just my preference. I like clip main. I also am not too fond of the chamfered bolsters on that model. I guess a person that prefers a spear main, super thin, diversified two blade, long pen knife configuration, probably found a grail in the Northwoods Presidential.

Never bought a Drover for these same reasons. Your inbox is full, btw.

Really starting to like the looks of the cougar clawed bone. One of these could easily push my Calf Pen out of my pocket. Classier looking but still has work knife traits.
I really tried to carry the Calf Pen but it just wasn't working for me. OK, I admit it, the razor was pokey in the pocket. A little, at least. And pretty heavy. Although, I think replacing the one-arm blade with almost any other style would be an improvement. Love the lanyard hole.

A couple days ago I was lucky enough to grab some unexpected time in the woods with my new Henry, and the next thing you know, I have a squirrel to clean! The best tool I had for that job was the ol' Churchill and it performed very well. Of course, my highly refined squirrel skinning method only involves 2 cuts, really. But still. :) The ebony cleaned up very easily. My usual squirrel knife is a 54 Big Jack in maroon micarta, so eventually I'll need a Churchill to match.

Back