GEC #46 Whaler

Thank you, I expected the Higo to have nicely figured Ironwood and was thrilled to when I received the Whaler.

Got one today. It's a pretty neat knife, certainly different.
Thanks @Leslie Tomville
i.ashx

My two whalers finally showed up last week. One has a pull on the secondary I would class as an 8, the other secondary is a 9 and takes careful positioning and force to open with my thumbnail.

The mains pull strengths are about the same relatively speaking - one is maybe a stiff 8 compared to the other at a comfortable 7.

The knife that is tighter is much less appealing to hold and carry than the one that has more manageable pulls.

From the way the knives feels to open and close, I put this down to the bolsters being overly tightened, to the point where the blade tang is eating into the brass liners.

Two questions - is this fixable?

Secondly, has anyone found a good pocket or belt sheath to carry these? They are begging for a carry option.

I think you might need a shoulder holster for these :D
But with that being said I still like them :)

I am utterly flummoxed by these Whalers. o_O I hope to handle one some day so that the light can come on
as to the appeal and/or the use. Until then I will remain open minded - nonetheless flummoxed.:)

Ray

I am utterly flummoxed by these Whalers. o_O I hope to handle one some day so that the light can come on
as to the appeal and/or the use. Until then I will remain open minded - nonetheless flummoxed.:)

Ray
I held one. Still flummoxed.

I had the opposite reaction, once I had one in hand I didn't want to put it down. Of all the tests that I apply to knives, the 'don't want to put it down' is the best and also the least easy to explain.
And that's cool. Different things appeal to different people. I appreciated the build quality and the nice big covers that let you see more of the material. I couldn't see myself using it. I guess I liked it as an object but not as a tool for me. So, I was able to put mine down pretty easily. Maybe that is a good test.

OK - to each his own and that's the fun. Need a pass around on this one :)

Ray

Ray
I'm with you. And I have one.

I will admit that I have not done it. Anybody here actually using their Whaler? It has been out long enough to maybe see some pictures of a Whaler with some nice looking patina. Post 'em if you got 'em!:)

I have two with Ironwood covers and one with Muscle Bone covers. IMHOP, once you get past the novelty and the initial feeding frenzy that I have observed surrounding certain new releases among the “Traditional” Denizens, the Whaler is an oddity, a curio that most will sell, or collect and not use. Not to say that it doesn’t have utility, and that some will actually use and thoroughly enjoy doing so. I bought the Whalers, strictly because they “tickled my fancy,” their historical significance, and my belief that they are true collectibles.

Back