GEC #46 Whaler

Late check in with my Whaler. I’ve had both versions for a while now and decided the muscle bone is a keeper and I’m looking to move the Ironwood. I lucked out and both versions are scuff and scratch free on the bolsters and handles. The blade has some scratches on the muscle bone version. The Ironwood has extremely hard pulls and suffers from tight bolsters. I can barely get the secondary out. The muscle bone on the other hand has great action on both blades. They are both great looking knives but I believe the muscle bone is on another level, just a gorgeous knife. Probably just going to keep this soaked in oil and on display.
xQQBEN7h.jpg

I liked my Musclebone Whaler enough that I started to carry it more and more. It was fine in one of my front pockets, but I wanted a sheath for it. I decided to ask our very own Dave Ferry ( Horsewright Horsewright ) to make one of his pancake style sheaths specifically for the Whaler.

The sheath works wonderfully. It holds the knife snuggly enough that I know it won’t ever work it’s way out. Just enough of the knife sticks out that it is easy to get a hold of it to pull it out. So I’m a happy camper. If you want a sheath of your own here is his website: http://www.horsewrightclothing.com/ He is an easy guy to work with and he works fast. I sent him my knife so he could use it to develop the sheath. The sheath and knife arrived about a week after sending him the knife.

83BCCC3F-AE54-49FE-9323-C29DFD52D040.jpeg 2B368BE4-36D2-4A77-A33E-F3B286C2ECBB.jpeg 66700CCA-A688-48A7-A9F2-8745EE227426.jpeg 13C3B053-BE3A-4444-9EDE-96F5FA432574.jpeg C10B4706-B52E-4069-B4B8-26CE6A1D2863.jpeg

I liked my Musclebone Whaler enough that I started to carry it more and more. It was fine in one of my front pockets, but I wanted a sheath for it. I decided to ask our very own Dave Ferry ( Horsewright Horsewright ) to make one of his pancake style sheaths specifically for the Whaler.

The sheath works wonderfully. It holds the knife snuggly enough that I know it won’t ever work it’s way out. Just enough of the knife sticks out that it is easy to get a hold of it to pull it out. So I’m a happy camper. If you want a sheath of your own here is his website: http://www.horsewrightclothing.com/ He is an easy guy to work with and he works fast. I sent him my knife so he could use it to develop the sheath. The sheath and knife arrived about a week after sending him the knife.

View attachment 983097 View attachment 983098 View attachment 983099 View attachment 983100 View attachment 983101

I like that a lot.

I really admire the workmanship on those, Horsewright.

Thanks for sharing your impressions, Travis. I’m curious, why did you prefer one to the other?

I really admire the workmanship on those, Horsewright.

Thanks for sharing your impressions, Travis. I’m curious, why did you prefer one to the other?
It is too early to tell. Both of them work well for me. The pancake style holds the knife really close to my body, so at one point I didn't have my t-shirt tucked in and I could feel the top of the cold knife against my skin. That was a weird feeling, but I would normally have an undershirt and regular shirt in between the top of the knife and my skin. The fold over style sheath holds the knife a little further away from the body so there would never be any touching.

After the first day, I did notice that the flat pancake sheath is taking on the shape of my waist. So it is no longer flat, but slightly rounded and it fits even better.

Thanks Travis. The fold-over style looked trimmer and simpler in the pic, so I was initially surprised when you wrote about preferring the pancake style. Both look exceptionally well build—the pancake style just looked wider and bigger.

From your description I can really understand the way that each carries the knife for you and why you prefer the pancake style. Thanks for the thorough description!

Both sheaths look great, and I love my #46 Whaler. Each time I see or heft it I break out into a big ol’ grin! :D

http://www.engravingextraordinare.com/
I had been thinking for a while about getting some scroll work done and who to do it and what knife to get done The whaler I thought would be a good choice. I chose the company in the link above, Penny Graham made this look better than I could of predicted, really pleased with the end result.

Russell

http://www.engravingextraordinare.com/
I had been thinking for a while about getting some scroll work done and who to do it and what knife to get done The whaler I thought would be a good choice. I chose the company in the link above, Penny Graham made this look better than I could of predicted, really pleased with the end result.

Russell
All I can say is "awesome"!! Penny does terrific work. To me, you have increased the value of the knife substantially!

Back