GEC #46 Whaler

Man these look so cool. I don't know if they're at all practical, but I look forward to holding one.

That is a gorgeous hunk of knife, not all knives have to be practical, some can get away with great looks and a big giggle factor when you handle them, this one qualifies.

Man, oh, man, I have never wanted a reservation to come thru quite so badly! This thing looks amazing!

The muscle bones must be so good they're afraid to show 'em. :)

Last edited:
Wow I’m so glad I got an ironwood on reserve, it looks phenomenal.

:thumbsup: GEC for switching from the bar to the banner shield.

I'm guessing there will be around 125 of these or so? I'm guessing from the production photo that they are doing a total run of 250, split between the two covers, but I don't know.. just a guess. Either way, hopefully there's enough to go around for those that want one.

IMG_3866.jpg

The catch-bit photo brings back memories of problems with the 2016 BF #35. I'm guessing it won't be an issue because I assume they used a catch-bit on prior 2 blade runs of #46?

IMG_3794.jpg

:thumbsup: GEC for switching from the bar to the banner shield.

I'm guessing there will be around 125 of these or so? I'm guessing from the production photo that they are doing a total run of 250, split between the two covers, but I don't know.. just a guess. Either way, hopefully there's enough to go around for those that want one.

IMG_3866.jpg

The catch-bit photo brings back memories of problems with the 2016 BF #35. I'm guessing it won't be an issue because I assume they used a catch-bit on prior 2 blade runs of #46?

IMG_3794.jpg

That same piece of paper appears in 2 or 3 other Whaler photos and states 500 pair & 1000 pieces :eek:

I personally hope GEC makes enough for everyone :D

I looked up the word and looked at the picture, but I still don’t understand what a catch bit is.

Catch Bit
A small piece of metal, usually brass, which acts as spacer to make up the difference between a thin pocket knife blade and a thicker spring that operates it. The catch bit is shaped so that it will not move when the blade is rotated. A pocket knife may also be designed with a thin blade and catch bit to make room for other blades.

That same piece of paper appears in 2 or 3 other Whaler photos and states 500 pair & 1000 pieces :eek:

That is a lot of Whalers. I view it as a specialty knife and mostly for collectors. Looks real nice!

I looked up the word and looked at the picture, but I still don’t understand what a catch bit is.

Catch Bit
A small piece of metal, usually brass, which acts as spacer to make up the difference between a thin pocket knife blade and a thicker spring that operates it. The catch bit is shaped so that it will not move when the blade is rotated. A pocket knife may also be designed with a thin blade and catch bit to make room for other blades.

Its used on a single spring knife with 2 blade knife when the secondary tang is smaller than the spring. Its basically a filler to match a thinner tang to a larger spring. It covers the tang of the secondary so as you look at the end of the secondary, the tang, you wont be able to see it because the catch bit covers it.

Whoa that's a lot! Looking at the picture I figured it was 500 pair or 250 total and 125 of each of the 2 covers.

The catch bit seems to slow the action of the blade that runs alongside it. Hope that is not an issue with this run.

Back