GEC #46 Whaler

View attachment 898142

So they switched the shield on the muscle bone, too. I don't have one of these on order, but I'd be kind of ticked if I did. They still list the bar and bomb shields in the description on the same page as these pics. I get that they are a small company and they do what they do. I'm personally very happy with the banner shield. But this will make me think twice about preordering for a particular shield I'm interested in.

Double WOW! Love the Federal shield and how much of the dark bone they are leaving when they are finishing the knife.

View attachment 898766

Another tray, gorgeous knives, they may have decided to change to the Federal shield due to the peaks and valleys in the muscle bone.

View attachment 898935

Wow, they're looking great!!! Can't wait to get mine. I'll post a picture with its #45 Lumberjack brother.

Couple ironwood on the auction site for retail right now! ;)

CK Ironwood early reserve just came in a couple hours ago, Note---Main blade pull is rated as an 8 and secondary is rated as a 9!! So much for light pulls :)

I don't think anyone was expecting these behemoths to have light pulls (even if GEC has tended towards lighter pulls on other patterns recently). :D

These are looking great. Glad I'm getting one.

CK Ironwood early reserve just came in a couple hours ago, Note---Main blade pull is rated as an 8 and secondary is rated as a 9!! So much for light pulls :)

Oh jeez. I hope they're usable.

I don't think anyone was expecting these behemoths to have light pulls (even if GEC has tended towards lighter pulls on other patterns recently). :D

I wouldn't be surprised if GEC saw that there was a vocal group of people against the lighter pulls. Also, the backspring on these are very large. I do wish they were more like 7s though.

I'm planning to get both a Muscle Bone and the Allegheny Mountain Knife Club LVS Abalone ones and I planned to use the Muscle Bone one so I hope it's not too difficult to open.

As someone new to Traditional collecting, I felt like I’m always late to the party when it comes to acquiring the more popular GEC models. Imagine my delight when I saw a #46 Ironwood being offered as a Buy It Now for a relatively reasonable price. Very happy. I like the oddness of it. Now I want the bone version.

Just paid for my Ironwood. I have wanted on eof these for a while now. Not sure what I will do with it, just wanted it.

I also am standby for a muscle bone over at CK. It would be nice to get that one as well. I thought I was pretty fastbon the ER for those but I guess they went quick.

Well I feel a little foolish, I thought I had an ironwood on early reserve so I just got a little nervous as to why I haven’t gotten an email yet. I just dug up my email from March 8th and it turns out I’ve been on standby this whole time.

Just paid for my ironwood this morning. Looking forward to it but concerned about the heavy pulls. I had planned to either use this one or at least have it as a desk plaything. I had a beautiful antique green jigged bone 73 I finally sold as it was to hard to open, especially with the Northfield long pull.

I paid for my Whaler! Yay.

It is funny, for once I am not worried about a crazy pull, because I never really planned on using this one. I usually don't buy knives to be safe queens, but since I am not likely to ever get one of these in stainless, I want to at least have one.

As someone new to Traditional collecting, I felt like I’m always late to the party when it comes to acquiring the more popular GEC models. Imagine my delight when I saw a #46 Ironwood being offered as a Buy It Now for a relatively reasonable price. Very happy. I like the oddness of it. Now I want the bone version.

Was it a factory picture?

No Mike. It doesn’t look like a factory Pic. Are you about to depress me?

No, enjoy. There is no way that a dealer has received them and sold/sent them to a flipper this quick. I was just wondering where they were coming from showing up on the day when the first dealers are getting theirs in hand.

Back