GEC #86 2021: Angus Jack, 2AB, Spring Street Barlow (BF Knife)

I was able to score 86 2ABs in bone and red/black linen when they went on sale. No luck whatsoever with the OD canvas, something I posted about earlier in the thread. As I collect the stainless GECs, I was disappointed about this, but, as the Dutch say, "niks aan te doen" (nothing to be done about it). In all honesty, given the difficulty in acquiring GECs over here, I was pretty pleased to score 2 out of 3.

Then, out of the blue, I received a PM from another member here (anonymous, unless he says it's OK) offering me an S model of the OD canvas. It took a while (shipped on the 11th of January and received today), but I am really psyched to have one! Why is it an S? Truth be told, I am not 100% sure. Everything is flush, action is great, blade is centered. There is a tiny (maybe 4 mm) scuff on the blade, but it is very shallow and likely Flitz-able. The spring is slightly proud at the half-stop, but that is true for all of my 86s from this run, and, since it is flush open and closed, I don't care in the slightest.

Here's a slightly skewed (and, as usual for me, crappy) photo of the knife:

862ab_od.jpg

And another of the 2AB trio:

862ab_all.jpg

Thanks to my BF benefactor! I am very happy to have this one!

[EDIT: Stupid spell check.]

Last edited:
zswwArA.jpg

Although the symmetrical jigging is not my favorite, it all works in that version, Travis. Great knife, beautiful photo!

I thought AAPK had a pretty stellar knife made for their forum last year and your picture highlights it quite nicely.

Talk about putting their branding on full blast though - there is no mistaking what that knife is representing 😁.
Yeah, that’s always been the issue with the AAPK knives. This one needs a serious Flitz job on the blade etch followed by a year of solid use and patina to get rid of that etch. The recent Maher & Grosh knives also had too much. At least the blade etches on the M&G knives are based on the original etches.

Last edited:
Two weeks ago I was lucky enough to have these arrived from my North Dakota Post Master.

Wow!!!!!!! absolutely Stunning, as hard as it is to better any of the 86 models, that White Bone comes in a close first - the Quality of these Knives is outstanding, here they are.....

So proud to own these...

HxnoTD2.jpg

2zp2ROQ.jpg
The 86 Barlows have become a real favorite of mine and the stainless acorn version has become a workhorse. 4A4F4448-33AC-4CB0-B084-4784359C7D12.jpeg3628FBE9-09DE-4A81-B110-C2ECFD4FEEF7.jpeg

Back