GEC factory edge vs. reprofiling

For my GEC knives I added the Lansky 4-rod turn box sharpening system (around $15). The angles are 40 and 50 degrees inclusive. If the Sharpmaker does not get the knife sharp, I go to the 50 on the Lansky. I recently purchased a nice freehand set of DMT and spyderco bench stones, but I am still using my inexpensive knives on those to practice before I go to work on my nicer blades.

Tal

I like a 15 degree bevel. I think pocket knives should be sharp as scalpels if possible

Bonusmarple - Are you touching up at 15 degree? How does the edge hold up at that angle? I've been using a 40 degree (20 per side) micro bevel but may go back to 30 inclusive if the edge holds up.
I haven't had any issues with the blade holding up. I use the knives for boxes, food, and whittling on pine.

To get back to the original question, IMO, 25° per side, (or perhaps 22.5° per side, half of 45) is a fairly traditional sharpening angle. More acute factory angles are a fairly recent development.

Y'all wanted a completely traditional knife with traditional materials and designs. Ya got one.

That being said, I re-profile mine to 20° per side. I start with a DMT extra-coarse diamond stone and finish on the flat side of a coarse Sharpmaker stone. I cut a lot of hard materials (plastic and the like) and I find that 20° with a somewhat coarser edge works nicely for me. YMMV, of course.

I have wanted to give my personal preference about this since you mentioned this, Frank.

I just had to wait until I got a couple shots to show some differences.

Initially I have a nice toothy edge after I hone on my translucent stone. Light stropping does not take away the mini serrations. Only any remaining burr.

Here is an older shot of a reasonably fresh edge on one of my traditionals:

L1020619-2.jpg

This is my preferred edge. It will pop hairs and push cut just fine, but also has that extra bite.

I just got a 400x shot of the very edge of my 85 GEC. This edge has not been honed on a stone for a couple months. Just various strops.

An extreme crop:

L1020688.jpg

For a reference, I shot a picture of a piece of fine human hair at 400x with no digital cropping:

L1020690.jpg

While the finely stropped edge is very very sharp, I do prefer the toothier edge for work like you described.

The only reason I strop for so many months is to save the life of the blade.

I thought it might be of interest.

Kevin

Very Cool, Kevin. Thanks for that post. It's interesting to actually see with my eye what I had guessed at from the performance.

Back