gec lockback lineup

thank you fellows for the encouragement, yes the lockback is tons easier to open than the 73 scout. joe bob my blue bone is in austin, pick up mon. this seems to be a popular color with members.

wow I ordered mine on Saturday and received it today - wish I could post pics, it has GORGEOUS stag! It's an EDC version but only due to some very minor cosmetic issues, and for half price it was the steal of the century. Easy to open, easy to use, great F&F and I love how the blade is at a very slight angle to the handle. BIG props to Greg at TSAknives for this beauty!

Dennis, those all are very nice LB's. I really like that Northfield. I didn't know those things look that good! The threaded bolsters,swedges,really do make a difference in the overall look of the knife. Thanks a lot for sharing, I see them in a different light know!

Jason

formites can help each other by posting good pics, it makes the selection process easier. my photos do'nt compare to many members but their better than most dead brick dist. site pics. dennis

Seems like an excellent oppotunity to add to this older thread with some new additions from GEC.

The 83 is a wonderful lockback in my view, tight lock-up, no play and a compact size with a choice between Clip or Drop-Point. No contest, Drop-Point me

IMG_4021.jpg

When people talk about the good old days of Stag they maybe don't realize that GEC helped bring it back for the everyday collector or user.:thumbup::D This 83 Northfield is a firm favourite of mine.

IMG_3987.jpg

'American Psycho' :D Wall St. in Stag on the day I got it. GEC inlet the shields beautifully on all my Stag knives, world-class, such a pity they decided to stop having shields on Stag, such skills.:(

IMG_2971.jpg

Last edited:
Seems like an excellent oppotunity to add to this older thread with some new additions from GEC.

When people talk about the good old days of Stag they maybe don't realize that GEC helped bring it back for the everyday collector or user.:thumbup::D This 83 Northfield is a firm favourite of mine.

IMG_3987.jpg

That is some fine Gnarly stag !!!

Thanks Scott! :thumbup: The pile side is just as interesting, here it was on 'Unwrapping Day' I felt the knife was just too good NOT to use:cool::D

Very good tight F&F on this pattern.

IMG_3484.jpg

I figured I'd add my two favorite GEC Lockbacks since we're doing some thread necromancy.

Will, I don't normally like stag, but those two are stunning! I wish more of them were like that.

Here's a 72 & a 99

Steve Thank you, most kind. That Smooth Bone Wall St. is a very handsome knife, surprised they're not more talked about. Well, perhaps if they were a magical SFO..they would be....:rolleyes:;)

Regards, Will

Steve, that smooth bone Wall St. Is a knockout, especially with the spear point. I wish I could have found an ebony with the spear but I was a little late to the party. My clip is my most carried/used GEC and as you can see, hot sauce makes for a nice patina. Great knife. A salute to all today.

Alan

I use my GEC lockbacks on a rotating schedule.
Right now it's the #83 and before that,it was the #99.

attachment.php

The thin #99 works well as a gents pocket knife and the smooth yellow burnt bone adds greatly to the elegant style.

attachment.php

The #83 is used more as a working knife.
This weekend the #83 was used in cutting wallpaper very close to a brickwall and ended up both dulled and covered in wallpaperglue.
After cleaning and sharpening, it was as good as new.
The Stag on mine is of the fat kind and this gives the handle a barrelshape, that increases the grip on this small knife.

attachment.php

The #42 is the choice for more powerful cuts in wood and the size gives a full grip in the hand.

Regards
Mikael

Attachments

• IMGP6143.jpg
    IMGP6143.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMGP6146.jpg
    IMGP6146.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMGP6147.jpg
    IMGP6147.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Mikael Very good to see knives that are frequently used and enjoyed, your lockbacks look like they earn their living but are taken care of. People may sometimes forget that GECs are fine working tools not just good to look at 'investments'.

I find the 83 to be an ideal size for most of my needs and not weighing down the pocket either. My only complaint about them is that there was no stainless version. In fact, is there a stainless GEC lockback at all?

mvh, Will

Will,
I buy my GEC's for their beauty and for their capacity as tools and I'm impressed by their heat-treatment of the 1095 steel.
GEC sure knows what they are doing!

I have yet to try a stainless GEC, but I believe they have made stainless #42 lockbacks.
BTW, Your Stag #83 is one of the nicest in the whole batch and I always enjoy the pic's of it!

Regards
Mikael

Onojoe,

Those #99's sure dress-up well in the burnt yellow bone!

Regards
Mikael

The #72 is my favorite. I have 4 and looking forward to the next run. I hope to pick up one in micarta.

Thanks Scott! :thumbup: The pile side is just as interesting, here it was on 'Unwrapping Day' I felt the knife was just too good NOT to use:cool::D

The backside is as stunning as the front !

My two LBs

My #99 get a ton of use. Seems to just slide into the pocket a lot.

My #72 I got cheap off the big auction site, because of blade play (both directions). I sent it back to GEC, and they fixed her right up !!!

(sorry for the poor pictures, it's getting dark)
CPofq8k.jpg

IMG_3484.jpg

Beautiful stag on that one!

Thank you gents, much appreciated :thumbup: As I say, it's too good NOT to use:cool:

Scott Don't think I've seen that Elk Wharncliffe from the Cyclop's Works before. So they do exist! It's a fine handle material to mate with the stainless, looks superb. I had a 72 but gave it away, it looked good but must admit it had some issues connected with blade-play and unconvincing lock-up. I'm very pleased that subsequent GEC lockbacks do not display these negative features.

A 99 Shadow would be a useful working-knife in my book, hard to find though. Tidioutes came a very nice Green Bone in the Wall St. version (as shown buy Scott) same bone they put on the Tidioute 38 Whiitler, looks most attractive.

Regards, Will

Back